Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Maybe it wasn't about the chocolate itself, but the breaking of a rule. Again, this is the UK, and they are stricter there about things like honor and manners and all that. The girl had to sign a code of conduct before the trip, she made a choice to break it, and got a strict consequence. Is that really so horrible? I don't get the outrage, it's a 6th grade trip. she'll get over it.
AHH, what kid hasn't snuck a treat in when they're not supposed to...I mean they actually had to invade her privacy to find her little "indiscretion"..what a pathetic reaction, and yes, it is horrible..I mean where's the compassion?..weren't we kids once?..Of course she'll "get over it", she's got no choice anyways does she...good way for the teachers to endear themselves to the kids you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:34 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,158,871 times
Women and their chocolate...

Old 07-21-2013, 10:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,295,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
AHH, what kid hasn't snuck a treat in when they're not supposed to...I mean they actually had to invade her privacy to find her little "indiscretion"..what a pathetic reaction, and yes, it is horrible..I mean where's the compassion?..weren't we kids once?..Of course she'll "get over it", she's got no choice anyways does she...good way for the teachers to endear themselves to the kids you think?
It's not the teacher's job to endear themselves to students.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:08 PM

9 posts, read 7,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
This board never stops amazing me. If the parent and child thought the rules were unfair, they should have discussed that with the school BEFORE the trip. I can't believe a parent would put their kid in that position--telling them that it's ok to ignore what the school spells out as expectations--and then whining about it when the consequences actually happen.
But don't you think the consequences were a bit excessive? They read her private letters and destroyed her bag and some of the contents within.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
For the 80th time, this was in the UK, not the US. Thankfully our kids are still allowed to flaunt the rules and defy authority, so you can rest easy.
Still applies.
It's only a matter of time before it happens here.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:08 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,580,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes but EATING A CHOCOLATE BAR??

This whole thing is stupid!!
Exactly.

The rules are stupid. Some are just meant to be bent I guess.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:55 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,970,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Yeah, because we all know that Liberals only exist in the United States. Doh!
Does the NRA also exist in the UK? Because that poster mentioned the NRA quite specifically. Doh!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:44 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
They have different ways there, and they always have. Haven't you seen any TV shows or movies about British headmasters and head mistresses? Are they fuzzy, warm and compassionate? No, they are strict and no nonsense and expect your word to be your word

I honestly am baffled at the outrage for this. She SIGNED a pledge and broke it. To you it might not be a big deal, but to the British it is. Why aren't they allowed to have different standards for their school? I'm sure there are a million things they do differently in Japanese schools, Russian schools, Irish schools and all other countries than is done here, who are we to judge them just because they are different than ours?

I think it's ridiculous that no one thinks the girl should be held accountable for breaking her pledge, and it makes me question our own ethics that so many feel this way.

Old 07-22-2013, 04:47 AM

50,831 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
Still applies.
It's only a matter of time before it happens here.
It used to happen here, before parents started getting up in arms for any punishment given their kids, and teachers lost all authority and respect in the classroom. I don't think it's a good thing that kids are held to such low standards here now.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:54 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Stupid rules, stupid people. they go hand in hand, why anyone supports them is beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies