Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 09:17 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
Ignoring the pie-in-the-sky suggestion that we totally open our border.....Nigeria is so darned screwed if that projection comes to pass.
Actually that projection is underestimating the birth rate of Nigeria, because they expect the fertility rate to drop much faster than it really does. Nigeria is totally screwed.

In fact Nigeria fertility rate is where Mexico's fertility rate was 30 years ago, and Mexcio's population is still increasing by 1.5% per year despite reducing their fertility rate down to 2.

Back to topic: US won't let in 10 million immigrants a year, so the projection is not very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:33 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,443 times
That's too bad. I have this recipe for soylent green I've been just itching to try out.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Noo ne listens to the UN any more.
Democrats do.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Liberals don't really care about spotted owls or wildlife preserves -- not when it comes to bringing all the impoverished of the world into the USA where the taxpayers will have to provide a very nice standard of living for them all.

Unlimited immigration will destroy all the open spaces and forest lands of the USA.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually that projection is underestimating the birth rate of Nigeria, because they expect the fertility rate to drop much faster than it really does. Nigeria is totally screwed.

In fact Nigeria fertility rate is where Mexico's fertility rate was 30 years ago, and Mexcio's population is still increasing by 1.5% per year despite reducing their fertility rate down to 2.

Back to topic: US won't let in 10 million immigrants a year, so the projection is not very interesting.
But we let in 3 million a year and those immigrants get right to work having children, they have way more children than the average American does. Not only that, while American women are frequently delaying childbearing until they're over 30, the immigrant types are having children while they are teenagers and are becoming grandparents by the time the American gets around to having her first child. A generation is about half that of Americans.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Liberals don't really care about spotted owls or wildlife preserves -- not when it comes to bringing all the impoverished of the world into the USA where the taxpayers will have to provide a very nice standard of living for them all.

Unlimited immigration will destroy all the open spaces and forest lands of the USA.
Not if the implement agenda 21. Stack em and rack in in ghettos and ship em via hi speed rail to their work details thus leaving the land to the animals and elitists who can do as they please. All part of the utopia that many want this country to turn into.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:59 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,466,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
At first, I thought this was an Onion article or something - it's that ridiculous. Here's something I do not understand. Plenty of other countries (as in most) have very strict immigration policy - much more so than the US. However, only the US is criticized for not allowing in even more immigrants? When did it become the responsibility of the US to house any and all immigrants that want to come here? We should do like other countries (e.g. Canada, England, Sweden, etc) - if you have a skill and/or money that would benefit our country, then you are welcome to come here. However, if you do not, stay where you're at. This is not a cruel position, it's simply a sensible one and most especially financially prudent one.
If you want to understand where the idea comes from figure out where these words are.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
If you want to understand where the idea comes from figure out where these words are.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
Do it legally and there are no issues. Those tired and poor huddled masses are supposed to show they can provide for themselves before coming "ashore" though. Food stamps and welfare is not providing for themselves no matter how much democrats think it so. I know many think that is what stimulates the economy. Those folks should be removed from office.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
LOL... This is coming from the same silly Liberal U.N. that predicted Florida would be underwater by now due to "global warming."

Nothing credible ever comes from the incompetent U.N.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
LOL... This is coming from the same silly Liberal U.N. that predicted Florida would be underwater by now due to "global warming."

Nothing credible ever comes from the incompetent U.N.
Didnt your scientists claim that Obama would socialize all american businesses by now??? They really screwed the pooch on that call. I can't believe anyone bought that load of crap.

they didnt even have to tie a bow around it...just bought it outright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies