Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 07:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times

Advertisements

Instead of this absurd proposal I sugggest we heavily restrict immigration along with encouracging a below replacement birth rate until the population decreases to around 200 million. This lower population would all have sufficient work to maintain the economy as well as living much more satisfying lives free of over crowding and poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 07:41 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,029,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Instead of this absurd proposal I sugggest we heavily restrict immigration along with encouracging a below replacement birth rate until the population decreases to around 200 million. This lower population would all have sufficient work to maintain the economy as well as living much more satisfying lives free of over crowding and poverty.
That treads closely to the one child rule in China which, while the government thought was necessary for population control, is indeed an utter failure and disturbing for several reasons. Besides, I thought the birth rate had slowed substantially anyway in the US. Perhaps I am wrong?

Old 07-24-2013, 07:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Clutching your guns in the afterlife next to St. Charlton, patron saint of the firearms?
there will be no afterlife for some of us, god doesnt want us and the devil is afraid we will take over.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
we will be long into a revolution before we even get close the that ridiculous number of sheeps..

Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
I propose by the end of the decade the UN be given the boot and the land it sits on be made into a park.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I propose by the end of the decade the UN be given the boot and the land it sits on be made into a park.
Honestly at this point, that land has much better societal value as a park than it does in its current capacity. Has the UN truly been beneficial to the US in the twenty years? They've used us as the world police. They've tried to dictate laws to us that have gone against our Constitution. They've given legitimacy and a platform to rogue nations that are a blight on this planet. I do believe an argument could be made that the UN is a failed exercise and should be, at the very least, removed from US soil.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
or a shelter for the homeless.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
If you want to understand where the idea comes from figure out where these words are.

Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses, yearning to breath free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door.
Time to dump that statue and its poem into the bay. We are no longer a sparsely populated country with plentiful jobs and resources to support many more immigrants. We are becoming the dumping ground of all of the impoverished across the world. That needs to end or we will self-destruct.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:15 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
we will be long into a revolution before we even get close the that ridiculous number of sheeps..
The revolution that is always coming but never arrives? Let me know when you plan on getting off your computer and actually starting this revolution.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Emma Lazerus' enscription on the Statue of Liberty dates from the 1870s from a different kind America a America of the frontier that had half a continent to fill up, that had businesses who needed the brains and brute muscle power to create the the super power we became. An America that believed it could do anything it wanted. We were like this until 50 years ago we didn't talk about going to the Moon we did it, the same with Nuclear power. we mastered that in less than 4 years, The Moon flight was done in 8 years. We didn't slam the door on immigration until the 1920s and that blunder is catching up to us. If we still had our wits about us like the Americans of the turn of the century we would not fear being one of the world's largest nation with the brain power, and hard working spirit such a nation that this implies. In fact the Chinese and Indians would have a genuine peer nation with the worlds largest economy and best technology to see in the 22nd Century. An America able to master the Final Frontier and sail to the stars.
There are several problems with your theory. First, the land and resources are limited. Once a population reaches a critical mass, those resources become too scarce and widespread issues with poverty and resulting crime become prevalent. Also, there is a huge assumption on your part that taking in the myriad of immigrants (beyond the normal means of making sure they are a benefit to our society) would result in increased innovation and power. However, do poor immigrants with little to no education truly have the capacity to do so? In history, immigrants could go west and help colonize and settle previously unsettled locations. This required simply a strong work ethic and strong back.

However, we as a nation no longer have the same issues and same construct as that previous time period. The land has been conquered, for a lack of better word, and what we need now are immigrants that have a positive and quantified benefit to our society. The time for taking in any and all comers has passed. We are no longer a brand new nation struggling to find our place in the world. Thus, we must, dare I say, progress past this point and consider this poem for what it is - a poem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies