Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
True, however baby goats are kids, and surely the parable would apply to them as well.

Besides, Jesus had just given his "let the little children come to me" charge and he was still talking about the children gathered around him - that is why he referred to "little ones".
Jesus wasn't at the day care, at least in the physical sense. This woman abandoned the children, not sheep or goats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. Moving the goal posts, talking about a drowning instead of a fire.
2. Get help for the other kids before jumping in the pool and maybe injuring yourself in the process, let alone taking the risk that another kid might decide to hop in.
So in other words, while you are running around looking for help, a kid is drowning.
We all react differently. I would jump in the pool and save a child's life. But I'm a very good swimmer.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-25-2013, 10:38 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Lets pretend you were in charge of a group of 10 preschoolers. Lets pretend you were out for a walk. Lets now pretend that one of the kids run off and falls into somebodies swimming pool. As the responsible person you are, would you run after, jump into the water, and save him or her from drowning, or would you call 911 and hope the trained rescue heroes made it there before the kid was dead. After all, you are not a trained life guard. Obviously, running after this kid would mean leaving the remaining 9 kids behind .
Completely different situation, of course, and you know it.

And yes, actually, I am a trained lifeguard.

Next.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let's pretend you're in a pool with 10 kids.... that's the correct analogy. You don't get out the pool to go do something else, your responsibility is the kids. Fires can move incredibly fast, the smoke that kills most people even faster. Let's suppose this woman went to put the fire and is overcome by the smoke, now what?
That's true. But like I said earlier. She judged the situation for herself. I don't know what I would have done in a similar situation. It it's easy to be judgemental.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Completely different situation, of course, and you know it.

And yes, actually, I am a trained lifeguard.

Next.
I think you know my point with the post. I wasn't really talking about you personally. It was more of a hypothetical situation. You or somebody else said earlier that you NEVER leave children unattended. I say, it depends on the situation.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
It was lunch time and they were cooking chicken nuggets for lunch and something smelled like it was burning in the kitchen. Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to figure this stuff out.
It was really nap time and the nuggets were probably for the director or one of the teachers. Children in day care usually have lunch before naps.
Quote:
Clearly you are not trained as a firefighter, and missed the class in first grade where they teach civilians not to guess what's going on in a closed room with a fire in it.

I would have thought you *might* have caught on by adulthood, but evidently not.
Quote:
One does need training and/or Xray vision to know exactly how big the fire is.

You seriously don't understand this? I'm REALLY starting to feel sorry for you. Unless you or Harrier explain to me that the teacher had psychic powers to know that the fire hadn't spread yet. In which case I'll apologize to you for doubting you.
from the article (which has been updated since I read it this morning, because this was not there earlier):

""I just leaned over and peeked around and there was a fire in the oven, and I ran in there and opened it to try to put it out, and the fire alarm started going off."Hammack says she rushed back to her classroom and woke up her napping students. She then took all of the children outside."

Sounds like she could see it was an oven fire (not microwave as some have said).

She left the kids alone for a couple of minutes, but returned, woke them and got them outside... before she went back in and put out the fire.
If she could lean over and see the oven then she was clearly in an adjacent room.
Yes, she left the classroom. However, once she saw the fire and the alarm went off she followed proper procedures.

Doesn't sound like she abandoned the children outside when she went back in and used the fire extinguisher like smart employee's do.

I only had to put a lid on a flaming pot of popcorn that the director started cooking (without the lid). I smelled the fan part of the stove burning.
The smoke alarm never went off, so it never woke up a single child, and we never called the fire department.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:54 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
It seems that the people who support her being fired think that she should have stood her ground against the fire.

She was in Florida.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:01 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think you know my point with the post. I wasn't really talking about you personally. It was more of a hypothetical situation. You or somebody else said earlier that you NEVER leave children unattended. I say, it depends on the situation.
Not when the situation is fire. Go to the 3 minute mark in this video and watch what happens over just 2 minutes.

Room Flashover Videos.mpg - YouTube

Old 07-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Ok, I got your point. It make sense.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
from your link:

Rozhakov defended her decision to the media. "I fired her only because she left her room," she told the TV station. "It's not acceptable, and if anybody else does the same thing, I will fire again. I will fire them. No question."

She left the kids alone in the room.
What would you have done? Got some marshmallows and had a roast?
Typical ******* in action here folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies