Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2013, 01:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Government needs to be a good steward of the American people's tax money, without exception...ever. I'm not sure how a cell phone provided at no charge is suposed to help the poor get on their feet and become productive members of society, but I digress.

Why not a LAN line?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
It's the law that banks are audited, why can't we audit these social programs? It makes sense. Oh wait, then it will naever get passed in DC, that's for sure.
That's right. It makes sense. It does not impact the poor who qualify. It does not discriminate..ineligible is ineligible. It's not partisan. And the biggest of all..it saves money.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's right. It makes sense. It does not impact the poor who qualify. It does not discriminate..ineligible is ineligible. It's not partisan. And the biggest of all..it saves money.

OK, great idea, how do we get DC to listen?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
How about this, don't have kids if you can't afford them. Personal responsibility problem solved!
What should one do with the children one already has? Perhaps dump them off at the nearest workhouse?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK, great idea, how do we get DC to listen?
Well I'll tell ya, after reading about the FCC audit and how much we saved I sent emails to my reps in Congress and even an email to Boehner to audit all the programs..even SS and medicare because you just never know.

My reps sent back a canned response thanking me and telling me how hard they are working for me in Washington DC. Boehner's office never replied.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
What should one do with the children one already has? Perhaps dump them off at the nearest workhouse?
Don't you get sick of that standard reply.."If you can't afford them then don't have them".

The problem is that the kid is already here. The problem is that these poor don't think about affordability either. And you can't say that all those children were "accidents" and some are on their second and third born into existing poverty anyway.

And yeah..we have to do something to keep them off the streets but $1 trillion a year and growing at a 20% annual clip should worry people.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 PM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
If one is old enough to multiply, one should be old enough to add.

IMO, the taxpayers should handle one surprise, not 3 or 4. Anybody who cannot support the children they have should get their tubes tied.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

IMO, the taxpayers should handle one surprise, not 3 or 4. Anybody who cannot support the children they have should get their tubes tied.
Well that's not happening is it ? We have 30% of Americans on means tested welfare programs and we're just going to have to deal with it.

Maybe when 50% or more of the budget has to go to fund these programs someone in DC will get concerned. But for now it's just near 30% of the budget and broken up into separate parts so that no one sees that $1 trillion dollars.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

Well that's not happening is it ? We have 30% of Americans on means tested welfare programs and we're just going to have to deal with it.

Maybe when 50% or more of the budget has to go to fund these programs someone in DC will get concerned. But for now it's just near 30% of the budget and broken up into separate parts so that no one sees that $1 trillion dollars. Shouldn't be to long though because the spending is going up 20% annually.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
How many of you have spent time with people who have EBT cards, TANF, Medicaid, and subsidized housing? I worked with these folks for many years, teaching, job coaching, employment counseling,, and case management.

I will flat out say, that these folks are usually lazy, trying to work the system, any angle they can. They say they are disabled, and want Social Security, that their children are disabled, you know disabled children get free disposal diapers thru Medicaid.

The solution is not more services or entilitlements, because the mentality with many of these folks, the more kids I have, the more I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies