Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,432,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Many left handed persons can be trained to use right hand to do most things, especially if the training starts early. Just a fact.
You can also train yourself to rub your belly and pat yourself on the head at the same time, but what does that have to do with sexual orientation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
It's up to their choice. If they want to try, then go for it.
Maybe some of them want to have a traditional family and raise children; others want to do it for religious reasons, etc. As I said, it should be an option.
How is it not an option?

I feel sorry for them, but they are free to lie to themselves and others. My only issue is when they try to claim they have actually changed their orientation, not just their behaviour.

Even a study by motivated Christian evangelical researchers showed that the orientation doesn't change.

“Characteristics of Mixed Orientation Couples: An Empirical Study"

http://wthrockmorton.com/2011/07/15/new-study-sexual-behavior-changes-but-not-sexual-orientation/

"While it was not a study of efforts to change, one could reasonably assume that if a group had participants who had shifted orientation very much, then this would be the group. However, that is not what they found"

Christian psychologist Dr Throckmorton says: "I think evangelicals need to face what evangelical academics are finding in research"

Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Yes, as long as they don't fake results and the products do not have serious side effects.
So-called 'conversion therapy' has been pushed by religiously motivated people like those from the anti-gay fringe group NARTH who HAVE faked the results and played down the serious side effects like depression and suicide when 'clients' who have been taught to hate who they are, realise this quack 'therapy' doesn't actually work.

It's pure quackery, and it can be harmful:

ex-gay therapist on cnn - YouTube

Report of the APA Task Force on Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation - pdf

The task force conducted a systematic review of the peer-reviewed journal literature on sexual orientation change efforts (SOCE) and concluded that efforts to change sexual orientation are unlikely to be successful and involve some risk of harm, contrary to the claims of SOCE practitioners and advocates.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,930,340 times
I'd wager most of them are depressed and suicidal to begin with

Old 08-02-2013, 03:27 AM

"Ex-gays demand..... something? - Throckmorton.

"For years, Parents and Friends of Ex-gays and the International Healing Foundation have pushed the idea that ex-gays were a minority group like gays. They have mimicked the language of civil rights movements and yet very few people have seemed to buy it. Today, Chris Doyle’s group Voice for the Voiceless had a lobby day at the Supreme Court (even though you can’t really lobby the Supreme Court) and demanded their rights. Problem was only about 10 showed up.

After all is said and done, I can’t figure out what rights ex-gays lack or why they need protection.

The CBN interview is a surreal viewing experience"

Ex-Gays Seek Equal Protection from Supreme Court - YouTube

Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'd wager most of them are depressed and suicidal to begin with
Well duh. They have been raised by their families and churches to hate who they are. Then they are promised they can 'change' their orientation by these religious quacks with their 'hugging therapy' and doing 'manly things therapy' and 'pray-away-the-gay therapy'. It fails. They hate themselves even more, feel hopeless, then self-harm. Great huh?

Or they educate themselves, become ex 'ex-gays', fall in love with a partner of the same gender, learn to accept themselves and live happy productive lives.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:36 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,754,545 times
What do people expect? A "former gay" pride week? I suspect most wouldn't want the press exposure highlighting them as former gays. They're settled in their lives and who they are and have no reason to be activists.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:56 AM

22,632 posts, read 15,008,033 times
I suspect that even of the fewer than 10 people who showed up for this little demonstration, some were not even really gay.

What I mean to say is that I think it is possible some evangelistic Christian might have experimented with a single homosexual experience and is now full of guilt, but is repenting publicly.

Anyway, I expect to see organizations of "Ex-Christians" mimic this.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,484,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
There's a thread where the Pope said who was he to judge gay people. Now I ask you: who are you to judge gay people?
Who is judging? The only ones judging on this thread are those mocking these men and women who have turned away from homosexuality.

Also the Pope is still very clear that homosexual acts are a sin.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,486,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Who is judging? The only ones judging on this thread are those mocking these men and women who have turned away from homosexuality.
They have "turned away from homosexuality" about as much as a nun or voluntarily celibate person "turns away from heterosexuality."

Do you see why they are thusly mocked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA
Also the Pope is still very clear that homosexual acts are a sin.

The Pope's opinion matters to the majority of this country about as much as the Mullahs of Iran. His opinion only matters to Catholics (25% of religious people in this country), and of those Catholics, the proscriptions of the church and Pope are largely ignored anyway on issues of birth control, wealth redistribution, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies