Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,873,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Are you naive? Those tiny countries cannot protect him.
Only Russia and China can possibly keep him safe.
That is ridiculous being that Julian Assange has successfully been protected in an Ecuadorian embassy for over a year.

Also, you did not address the fact that if Snowden met with a GOP house representative and shared this information with him/her that this would have negated him being seen as an enemy of the state.

You must be like of the people on the station I listen to and think that there are no American solutions to issues such as these. He could easily have used the information that he knows, written an expose' about it himself, explaining it in his own words, and released this information to US press all over the country like Daniel Ellsburg and the Pentagon Papers in the 60s.

Even though Russia is not still considered an "enemy" that country has had a strained relationship with ours since the end of WW2. China has been found to be stealing our military information before and spying on us. To go to these countries, would make a rational person, such as myself who is not a member of a political party, believe that Snowden was seeking asylum in exchange for information. I can see why the Obama Administration along with GOP members of government believe the same. Snowden could easily have leaked this to an uber liberal legislator or a GOP enemy of Obama's and then would not be in the trouble he is in. I truly believe that there is something going on with him that is not as easy as "the American public should know...." If the American public was your audience, you would go to legislators and American media and not British media, China, and Russia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Yeah, Snowden is a man of such high principles that he snubs nations that do not meet his criteria. What a hypocritical jerk. Hope he gets permanent residency in Russia. Do you think that he will apply for a government job there?

For a guy that supposedly holds personal freeedom and privacy in such high regard, that he will now be under constant surveillance by Putin's KGB government is hysterically funny and ironic.
I agree with the bolded above. It is ironic also being that he initially went to Hong Kong, which though not fully controlled by mainland China, is within China's reach and they also have constant surveillance and many political prisoners in China amongst other activities by their government, which usurp the concept of privacy and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,096,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That is ridiculous being that Julian Assange has successfully been protected in an Ecuadorian embassy for over a year.
Assange is not as wanted by the US as much as Snowden. That is because Snowden humiliated the US while Assange did not. Remember that Assange is also just a transmitter of information, not the source like Snowden is.

Quote:
Also, you did not address the fact that if Snowden met with a GOP house representative and shared this information with him/her that this would have negated him being seen as an enemy of the state.
Haha, yeah right. No, he would have been locked up for life, possibly along with the GOP representative.

Quote:
You must be like of the people on the station I listen to and think that there are no American solutions to issues such as these. He could easily have used the information that he knows, written an expose' about it himself, explaining it in his own words, and released this information to US press all over the country like Daniel Ellsburg and the Pentagon Papers in the 60s.
You mean he should have released it to the US media instead of UK media. I don't think that would make any difference at all.

And the Pentagon papers enraged Nixon and he made a lawsuit against the paper he also went after the source. But there was one difference in that case, it only had the support of Nixon. In this case both Democrats and Republicans are guilty. Hence, it wouldn't matter how he released the data. As long as he embarrass the US, he would have been sent to prison for life.

Quote:
Even though Russia is not still considered an "enemy" that country has had a strained relationship with ours since the end of WW2. China has been found to be stealing our military information before and spying on us. To go to these countries, would make a rational person, such as myself who is not a member of a political party, believe that Snowden was seeking asylum in exchange for information.
Actually he just went to any country that would take him. If he could choose he would have gone to Iceland, but Iceland and is too small and would have to release Snowden under American pressure.

Have you not noticed how US threaten any country that is willing to aid Snowden. So Snowden is not picking Russia because they are any better than the US. He is picking Russia, because it is one of the few countries that can provide him safety against prosecuting for revealing US political crimes.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:41 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,032,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well in the opinion of many(myself included) the NSA is stealing our classified data, and I appreciate the heads up he gave us all.
The russians dont worry me, the fedguv does.
I personally have nothing to hide, and don't plan to have anything to hide in the future.
If I wanted to suddenly get paranoid about privacy, I'd be more worried about companies like google etc.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:47 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,067,247 times
Few days ago Obama's pledge to protect whistleblowers was removed from his website. Maybe that is why Snowden ran off to russia?

Like tex says everybody is up in arms about snowden but not at our government for violating our rights and liberty. So goes the propoganda spewed by our government and eaten up by the sheep.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Well in the opinion of many(myself included) the NSA is stealing our classified data, and I appreciate the heads up he gave us all.
The russians dont worry me, the fedguv does.
That is how far down the our government has gone.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-02-2013 at 05:51 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,106,313 times
LOL.

obama did a GREAT job in hitting that reset button!

U.S. seeks to 'reset' relations with Russia - CNN.com

Old 08-01-2013, 02:54 PM

He's pivoting around and hitting reset buttons now. I hope he doesn't hit the wrong button and set off the WOPR!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,238,184 times
Snowden agreed to cease releasing confidential documents as part of the condition that he gets asylum for a year.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,873,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Assange is not as wanted by the US as much as Snowden. That is because Snowden humiliated the US while Assange did not. Remember that Assange is also just a transmitter of information, not the source like Snowden is.

The poster I responded to stated that Ecuador "could not protect" Snowden, maybe it was you, but I used Assange to prove that they are capable of protecting wanted individuals.

Haha, yeah right. No, he would have been locked up for life, possibly along with the GOP representative.

You must be REALLY partisan to believe that the GOP would not use this sort of information to pull Obama and his administration down a notch and attempt to humiliate and vilify him as a usurper of privacy rights. Especially since the Dems/liberals protested so much about less offenses from W. Bush.

You mean he should have released it to the US media instead of UK media. I don't think that would make any difference at all.

He could have tried them first. Just because you "don't think" it would, doesn't make it so.

And the Pentagon papers enraged Nixon and he made a lawsuit against the paper he also went after the source. But there was one difference in that case, it only had the support of Nixon. In this case both Democrats and Republicans are guilty. Hence, it wouldn't matter how he released the data. As long as he embarrass the US, he would have been sent to prison for life.

BUT Ellsburg was NOT sent to prison for life because he released a report to the US media and was therefore protected. This case went to the SCOTUS and Ellsburg came out on top. Therefore, there is a precedent set by Ellsburg and the Pentagon Papers that Snowden could have followed to release this information and alleviate the extreme fear of the death penalty and life imprisonment.

Actually he just went to any country that would take him. If he could choose he would have gone to Iceland, but Iceland and is too small and would have to release Snowden under American pressure.

This is just more excuses. So you REALLY think that the only countries capable of protecting Snowden are Russia and China!!!?!!!! Come on!

Have you not noticed how US threaten any country that is willing to aid Snowden. So Snowden is not picking Russia because they are any better than the US. He is picking Russia, because it is one of the few countries that can provide him safety against prosecuting for revealing US political crimes.

Like I said before, Snowden did have other options, whether or not you all who want to proclaim him a martyr like it or not. He could have easily followed the lead of Ellsburg and gone to another country like Ecuador and asked for and received asylum.
Responses in bold.

I do want to note, that I fully support the release of the material that Snowden made public. I do think all Americans have a right to not have their privacy invaded on this level and I feel that the NSA needs to be shown the light of day and put under more scrutiny. But I just don't get Snowden's narrative. I think he is lying and that he had way more options available to him if his true intent was to protect the rights of Americans and other country's citizens. This is a huge story. He sealed this deal by not taking other options and instead we are focusing on him more than the information he released when, in the case of Ellsburg, it was the other way around.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:24 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,542,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Are the Russian's doing this because they just love freedom? Not on your life. They'll just take any opportunity to thumb their noses at US hegemony.
Agreed and if you think the world best hackers don't have the equivalent of xkeyscore you be smokin' something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies