Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,887,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think its fine... its not confiscation per se, since you get it back later... and I think divorce is a significant event where your guns should be confiscated... I am pro-gun ownership but I think this legislation makes sense...
Divorce is not a condition for FOID revocation, in Illinois.

A conviction of domestic violence and/or orders of protection are sometimes associated with divorce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,807,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think its fine... its not confiscation per se, since you get it back later... and I think divorce is a significant event where your guns should be confiscated... I am pro-gun ownership but I think this legislation makes sense...
This is supported by the 2nd amendment, which reads:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed except during times of divorce."

Your copy says that too, doesn't it?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:41 PM

364 posts, read 561,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I guess what you're saying is that we as a society should remove the crime of murder from the justice system because people go out and murder other people every day.

This argument from the gun right's crowd is getting very old and stale. You guys need a new shtick.
Gun right's what?

I don't understand why people cannot see the OP's point. Criminals (the people who do bad things?) do not care about FOID cards or any other parts of the law. That's why they're called criminals. To call the very real argument regarding removing the rights of the innocent because of the actions of the guilty is not "old and stale." When you make that statement you say "The Constitution of the United States is old and stale."

A new schtick about what? Defending the foundation of our country's ideals is an old, stale idea? Well call this 20-something a senile old man then.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:42 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,690,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
The only person making that "argument", is you. (yawn)

Nice try.

You guys need a new shtick.
[/quote]

While the Ill. police are out confiscating guns from people who have failed to disarm themselves for a felony, mental disfunction or domestic violence, you're talking about the gang bangers who are murdering each other.

Respectfully, sir, I fail to see the connection between the two and how one is related to the other. I responded to your post on that premise.
Once more slowly.........What.....does......the murder of........gang Bangers........have.....to do.......with.....the Ill. Police........confiscating..........gun's......... from............felons.........mentally disturbed.......and domestic violence perps?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Divorce is not a condition for FOID revocation, in Illinois.

A conviction of domestic violence and/or orders of protection are sometimes associated with divorce.
In many areas, such "orders of protections (also called "restraining orders") are routinely handed out to both parties involved in a divorce, even when no violence or threats are involved. Revocation of the parties' FOID cards follows. And, if this special "gun team" finds, out, confiscation is not far behind.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:45 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,850,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
In many areas, such "orders of protections (also called "restraining orders") are routinely handed out to both parties involved in a divorce, even when no violence or threats are involved. Revocation of the parties' FOID cards follows. And, if this special "gun team" finds, out, confiscation is not far behind.
Don't forget these orders are given out without a hearing. So someone can make something up to get a TRO and you loose your civil rights without even having a day in court.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
I can see the number of small boats capsizing in Illinois waters surging.
If you're a convicted felon or adjudicated mentally deficient yes, a small leaky boat is your best option. If you are under indictment for domestic violence, then just removing your guns from your living space is adequate and within the law. You can give them to a friend to hold until after the proceeding are completed. You just cannot be in possession while awaiting legal disposession of your domestic violence case.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:50 PM

We as a nation decided a long time ago that

(a) It's not a perfect world,

(b) We will have a better, safer, and more free society if all law-abiding people are free to own and carry whenever they want to, than if government had the power to tell us when and where we could own and carry weapons.

If the gun-rights-haters have accomplished anything with their constant violations of these constitutional requirements, it's to prove that when you restrict law-abiding folks, you make the society LESS safe and more fear-ridden.

Normal people should probably thank them for demonstrating it so convincingly.

Or not.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Sword View Post
Gun right's what?

I don't understand why people cannot see the OP's point. Criminals (the people who do bad things?) do not care about FOID cards or any other parts of the law. That's why they're called criminals. To call the very real argument regarding removing the rights of the innocent because of the actions of the guilty is not "old and stale." When you make that statement you say "The Constitution of the United States is old and stale."

A new schtick about what? Defending the foundation of our country's ideals is an old, stale idea? Well call this 20-something a senile old man then.
So, ah, you're saying.....If I understand correctly, that those who refuse to surrender their FOID cards and disarm themselves after being convicted of a felony, adjudicated mentally unfit or under indictment for domestic violence are NOT criminals and should be left alone?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:58 PM

23,860 posts, read 24,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
"What gun"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies