Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:29 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times

Advertisements

In Illinois, the state issues you a Firearm Owner ID Card (FOID card) if they think you are somebody they want to own a gun. You can't legally own a gun without this card.

But they will revoke your card for reasons such as, you have a restraining order issued against you. (In many areas, such restraining orders are routinely handed out to both parties in a divorce, including those where there have been no violence or threats.)

Recently the Sheriff in Cook County (which includes Chicago) put together a special team of police, whose job is to go door-to-door, confiscating guns from people whose card was revoked.

There has been no comment from the people who insist that registration does NOT lead to confiscation, and insist that the cops are NOT out to take away our guns.

I do need to ask: How many people have been murdered in Chicago since this special team of cops was put together in February? How many of the murderers (mostly thugs and gangbangers) obediently stopped to apply for Illinois FOID cards before murdering their victims, so that their guns could be confiscated when they broke the law?

OTOH, how many people who have never killed, injured, raped, robbed, assaulted, or even threatened anybody, have had their guns confiscated by this special team of cops?

--------------------------------------------------

Cook County sheriff

Cook County sheriff’s team taking guns if FOID card is revoked

BY FRANK MAIN Staff Reporter
fmain@suntimes.com
July 25, 2013 9:54PM
Updated: July 26, 2013 1:20PM

A new Cook County Sheriff’s team is crisscrossing the suburbs to seize guns from thousands of people whose Firearm Owner’s Identification Cards have been revoked.

More than 3,000 people in Cook County have failed to surrender their revoked FOID cards to the state. Sheriff Tom Dart said he thinks many of them continue to possess firearms.

The Chicago Police Department conducts regular missions to recover revoked FOID cards and seize guns from the holders, but there wasn’t a concerted effort to do that in Cook County’s suburbs, Dart said.

“The system is broken,” the sheriff said. “The system revokes cards, but the guns are of no consequence. . . . Our strong hope is that we will eliminate tragedies.”

FOID cards are supposed to protect the public from dangerous people. Mental illness, felonies and protection orders are grounds for the state to revoke the cards from their holders. It’s illegal to buy guns or ammunition without one.

In February, Dart assigned a sergeant and four investigators to a gun team that has recovered about 160 FOID cards and taken more than 160 guns from the cardholders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:34 AM

340 posts, read 803,093 times
Just one more of the many reason's I dont live, or will ever visit Illinois, they are not getting a single tourist penny out of me due to their trampling of the constitution.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Drop a few cops enforcing these moronic violations of civil rights, and see how long it keeps up. Hate to see that happen, but the abuse of power by politicians and cops has to stop.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
Just one more of the many reason's I dont live, or will ever visit Illinois, they are not getting a single tourist penny out of me due to their trampling of the constitution.
Yep, even when I go to St. Louis, MO to visit family I do my best to make sure that I have a full tank of gas before driving through Illinois. That way I don't have to stop and spend any money at all.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Gun advocates are always saying that we don't need any more gun control laws, we should enforce the ones already on the books. The ones on the books are those laws that prohibit possession for people who suffer from mental illness, Those who are convicted of a felony and those who have an order of protection against them for domestic violence; even if it is a pending case. Seems that is exactly what the Ill. police are doing.

On the 4473 form NICs check, Question b. States: "Are you under indictment or information in any court for a felony or any other crime for which the judge could imprison you for more than a year?"

Question c. states: "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year?"

Question f. states: "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective or committed to a mental institution?"

Question h. states: "Are you subject to a court order restraining you from harassing, stalking or threatening your child or an intimate partner or child of such partner?"

Penalties for lying on the form and obtaining a firearm under false pretenses are 10 years federal sentence and upwards of a 250,000 fine.

I thought the right wing was all about punishing criminals and leaving the law abiding alone? Or is that only on selective laws?

So you see, sir these laws and restrictions have been on the books ever since 1998. A period of 15 years. Not just in Ill. but across the nation, you are required to disarm yourself when you are adjudicated mentally unstable, a convicted felon or under indictment for a felony or under a restraining order for domestic violence.
You, as a responsible gun owner should be in step with the rest of your crowd who constantly proclaim that instead of new laws the government should be enforcing the ones currently on the books. Seem's like The police are doing exactly that.

Unless of course you are one of those rabid right wing foamers who believe that ALL gun laws past, present and future should be rescinded and that all people, anywhere, for any reason, should be able to own any gun, anytime, anywhere for any reason and society has no right to impose what the majority consider reasonable restrictions.

I for one feel that restricting gun ownership to felons, mentally dysfunctional and those convicted of domestic violence is a very good step for society and our nation in general. I applaud the Ill. police for enforcing the gun laws on the books.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&g...ed=0CFgQ1QIoBw

Last edited by mohawkx; 08-02-2013 at 12:26 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 12:04 PM

808 posts, read 662,865 times
Quote:
just one more of the many reason's i dont live, or will ever visit illinois, they are not getting a single tourist penny out of me due to their trampling of the constitution.
+100500

Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
So you feel that society denying guns to convicted felons, mentally unstable individuals and people who have been convicted of domestic violence is trampling on the constitution?

A "yes" or "no" will do nicely. If you feel like doing an Irish two-step and dancing around the question go ahead. It will be entertaining.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:14 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
"What gun"?

Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
oddly enough i agree with mohawkx on this. it is time to enforce the laws on the books, and hopefully the illinois cops are not just making up excuses to disarm the public, and that when the orders of protection are lifted through the courts, the firearms and cards are returned to the owners.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
(duplicate post)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies