Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 03:05 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And you're still insisting that being arrested is the same thing as being convicted.

Either you're hopelessly ignorant, or you're just another gun fanatic making stuff up so you can play with your toys while crazy people shoot up theaters and schools. Neither option makes me care about your "conversation" anymore.
Here is someone convicted of illegally downloading music
Woman fined to tune of $1.9 million for illegal downloads - CNN.com

This man was convicted of adultery
http://www.troymessenger.com/2013/03...-for-adultery/

So explain to me again why people should lose their civil rights for trival crimes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 03:06 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'd say the FOID is an infringement.
I'd say you're not in any well-regulated militia. The end.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A TRO in Illinois is 10 days.

Revocation of the FOID can be appealed within 30 days.
In Califonria when you get a TRO against you you have to forfeit all firearms within 48 hours. Civil rights to without a trial, without a hearing, without being presented before a judge. Tell me how this is constitutional?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I can argue that anyone can be charged with a felony by doing the above because poeple are charged with these crimes and that is why I do not support confiscating guns. Justifying it by saying I doubt the DA presses charges is a weak argument. If a law isn't inforced, it should not be on the books and felonies should be for egregious crimes, not for unlocking you cell phone.

I hope you have never opened your significant others mail, because if you have, you have commited a felony.
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand your position now. Until all those antiquated blue laws enacted by moral conservatives 75 years ago, making it a felony for victimless crime are repealed, you feel all felons should be allowed to have, buy and possess firearms. Even Armed robbery felons?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trele6 View Post
Just one more of the many reason's I dont live, or will ever visit Illinois, they are not getting a single tourist penny out of me due to their trampling of the constitution.
On my ride to tour the USA I went around that state i was armed and wasn't going to give that soviet republic 1/2 a chance. it is one state I have no wish to even visit.

People like the Obama's are exactly why.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Ah! Thanks for the clarification. I think I understand your position now. Until all those antiquated blue laws enacted by moral conservatives 75 years ago, making it a felony for victimless crime are repealed, you feel all felons should be allowed to have, buy and possess firearms. Even Armed robbery felons?
When you have a law that does not differentiate someone who illegally down loads a $1.29 song or a murder, then yes, I do not support making it illegal for felons to own guns.

When a felony is only a violent crime against another, then I will support banning felons from owning guns.

Last edited by shooting4life; 08-02-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
In Califonria when you get a TRO against you you have to forfeit all firearms within 48 hours. Civil rights to without a trial, without a hearing, without being presented before a judge. Tell me how this is constitutional?
You don't forfeit your firearms. You temporarily forfeit your right to possess firearms. You are allowed to take them to another place for storage until the TRO is dissolved. Many individuals in this case have taken them to a pawn shop and pawned them for 10.00 each. When the authorities what to know where your guns are, you show them the pawn ticket. Done deal. You are in compliance with the law and the TRO.
Statistics have consistantly shown that a large percentage of murders with pistols is is committed by estranged spouses going through a bitter divorce. This temporary restriction on your 2nd amendment right is an effort to minimize that statistic.

I will grant you that in many cases a scorned woman will play dirty and use the court system and TROs or PROs to screw the ex-husband as much as possible. Also I've been to many estate sales where the surviving spouse has sold her dead husbands gun collection for pennies on the dollar just as an act of revenge.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Thank you for that and you have my respect.
So many of the radical gun owners will dance around the questions when asked where they stand. You have been honest and forthright in your belief, that in your eyes, convicted felons should be allowed to legally possess firearms.

I disagree, but respect your honesty.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
You don't forfeit your firearms. You temporarily forfeit your right to possess firearms. You are allowed to take them to another place for storage until the TRO is dissolved. Many individuals in this case have taken them to a pawn shop and pawned them for 10.00 each. When the authorities what to know where your guns are, you show them the pawn ticket. Done deal. You are in compliance with the law and the TRO.
Statistics have consistantly shown that a large percentage of murders with pistols is is committed by estranged spouses going through a bitter divorce. This temporary restriction on your 2nd amendment right is an effort to minimize that statistic.
So someone who would kill their significant other will be stopped because a piece of paper says they have turn in their gun.

Here in California you have to either sell them to a gun shop, which you will get pennies on the dollar, or turn them into police. The process to get them back from police takes over 60 days once you are cleared from the TRO. No one should lose their civil rights for over 2 months without a hearing where they can face their accuser.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why isn't anyone addressing the true problem here, which is that the state of Illinois, by issuing the FOID cards, is abrogating the federally held right of its citizens to own a firearm? There should be no record at state level concerning the ownership of firearms to begin with, much less the possibility of that FOID being revoked and having your firearms confiscated by state authorities.
If issuing FOID cards was unconstitutional according to the 2nd. and was considered an unreasonable restriction, the NRA, which is the largest, best funded, lobbying organization in America with the best lawyers, would be all over it like cheap perfume on a Sunday prostitute.

But the're not. Why is that? Did they make a backroom deal with Holder or Obama?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies