Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:10 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbacchus View Post
I don't know how to ask this more tactfully...but I can't help not to wonder about some experiences I have with some black men.

I'm not a racist. I'm a person of color myself. I am well aware that my presence may intimidate some people. I try to keep that in mind, whenever I'm out in public. I try to avoid looking suspicious, invading personal space, and dressing raggy. I don't want to scare people or be harassed by police or citizens.

I have noticed when I'm out in public, whenever I encounter a creepy guy, he is almost always black. They do things such as standing/walking too close, staring, lingering around places too long, and trying to strike conversations when I'm not interested. I don't like to interact with strangers (unless it's a hot girl ), and I try to signal that via body language. There's a lot of ****ed up people out there, regardless of race, and it takes me a while to warm up to strangers. I don't make eye contact, I barely smile, and I don't walk too close to people. It seems like every demographic out there understand my cues to leave me alone...but black men.

I'm curious what is behind this behavior. Of course, it's not all black guys who do this, it's some. For whatever reasons, it seems like being unintimidating is low on their priority list.

Are they unaware how they come across, due to cultural conditioning? Is it because I'm a person of color too, they let their guard down around me? Are they fully aware that people are intimidated by them, and act threatening out of resentment?
Where do you live?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Do some black men intimidate people intentionally?

Yes, so do white men, Asian women, blue men, orange women, brown men, and purple women.
These guys are intimidating?

Blue Man Group - YouTube

Old 08-04-2013, 10:28 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
I don't know how to ask this more tactfully...but I can't help not to wonder about some experiences I have with some black men.

I'm not a racist. I'm a person of color myself. I am well aware that my presence may intimidate some people. I try to keep that in mind, whenever I'm out in public. I try to avoid looking suspicious, invading personal space, and dressing raggy. I don't want to scare people or be harassed by police or citizens.

I have noticed when I'm out in public, whenever I encounter a creepy guy, he is almost always black. They do things such as standing/walking too close, staring, lingering around places too long, and trying to strike conversations when I'm not interested. I don't like to interact with strangers (unless it's a hot girl ), and I try to signal that via body language. There's a lot of ****ed up people out there, regardless of race, and it takes me a while to warm up to strangers. I don't make eye contact, I barely smile, and I don't walk too close to people. It seems like every demographic out there understand my cues to leave me alone...but black men.

I'm curious what is behind this behavior. Of course, it's not all black guys who do this, it's some. For whatever reasons, it seems like being unintimidating is low on their priority list.

Are they unaware how they come across, due to cultural conditioning? Is it because I'm a person of color too, they let their guard down around me? Are they fully aware that people are intimidated by them, and act threatening out of resentment?
Go to the gym, work out, and grow a pair.

Either that, or buy a gun like Zimmerman.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
OP:

Yes, every 3rd black man you see is intentionally trying to intimidate you.

Scientific fact.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
OP:

Yes, every 3rd black man you see is intentionally trying to intimidate you.

Scientific fact.
lol.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:45 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Dress like Lil Wayne and people will think your a skater.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Are you an "angry black man"?
Nope.

Admittedly though, I don't smile in public or at strangers.

Not angry though.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:

I've worked with hard working black men and woman and they didn't intimidate me but I didn't appreciate one time when I was standing in line when a black guy came up and in front of everyone in daylight came up and grabbed my a** then just smirked and looked at me as if to say, ya.. do something about it. There is a saying, there are blacks and then there are.... Just like there are whites then there is white trash.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
You forgot to mention that both of their parents were in the U.S. army... If you have ever met any white Africans you'd know that they are as proud to be Africans as any black people.
I have met many white people from Africa not one of them self identifies as an African for that matter I don't know many black Africans who self Identifies them self as an African rather than Nigerian or what they really are, (not where they come from) You are not the first person to run Charlise Theron’s name up the flag pole to see if any African Americans salute it. This subject has been beaten to death. You or I really don't have a say in what an African American is. That decision is left up to people in the field of Cultural Anthropology, or whatever field has also determined that people like; Russian- Jews, Scotch –Irish and Austral- Germans are hyphenated because of a political-geographical event.

But back to our regularly scheduled program:
Yes it is acceptable in some circles for black people to intimidate each other as a way of preparing you for the harsh world outside. Why do you think some black men call each other the N word? A better example is when I was in high school I was seen by some white kids as a bully when I behave around them the same way I behaved around my black friends in my neighborhood.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 08-05-2013 at 05:56 AM..

Old 08-05-2013, 07:22 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Do some black men intimidate people intentionally?

Yes, so do white men, Asian women, blue men, orange women, brown men, and purple women.
It's amazing that so many people think this kind of mindless point is worth making. Yes, very rarely are behaviors exclusive to one group of people. But this hardly makes tendencies irrelevant. Do 10% of black men walk around trying to intimidate everyone? If so than this matters, regardless of whether or not 0.1% of Asian women also do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies