Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:50 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No, that's not the definition of insanity.

It's doing the same thing and expecting a different result

I've heard of 3s a charm, how about 41st a charm?
That's not really the definition of insanity. Once again, people are buying something someone said without thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 09:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
No, that's not the definition of insanity.

It's doing the same thing and expecting a different result

I've heard of 3s a charm, how about 41st a charm?
If Pelosi, Reid and Obama expected a different result here it would show a disconnect from reality.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:21 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, I guess it beats actually doing something useful.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/op...=politics&_r=0

Republicans Against Reality

Last week House Republicans voted for the 40th time to repeal Obamacare. Like the previous 39 votes, this action will have no effect whatsoever. But it was a stand-in for what Republicans really want to do: repeal reality, and the laws of arithmetic in particular. The sad truth is that the modern G.O.P. is lost in fantasy, unable to participate in actual governing.
I especially agree with this last part. Obviously, our healthcare system is in shambles.

What is THEIR plan? When I can fly to another country and schedule surgery with a top notch surgeon for 30 times less than I would pay here . . what IS the answer?

I'm good with universal healthcare - let's just go there.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Obviously, our healthcare system is in shambles.

What is THEIR plan?
this is what i want to know.

if Republicans don't like Obamacare, why don't they propose some bills to amend its specific problems?

This is what drives me nuts about the GOP: that they have no coherent, widely accepted plan of their own. This suggests to me that their ideas -- what they REALLY want to do -- would be very unpopular among the American people, otherwise they'd be selling it.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

if Republicans don't like Obamacare, why don't they propose some bills to amend its specific problems?

Attempting to repeal the entire bill , without proposing an alternative, is a HUGE cop-out. It's not helpful to the American people at all.

That, in a nutshell. Instead of investing the time and energy into alternatives, they go on with this symbolic worthless bull****.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:

This is what drives me nuts about the GOP: that they have no coherent, widely accepted plan of their own. This suggests to me that their ideas -- what they REALLY want to do -- would be very unpopular among the American people, otherwise they'd be selling it.
To fix it you need things like tort reform also. O.K., it's a fair argument that they are not doing this but there is no way it passes.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
To fix it you need things like tort reform also.
So why isn't the party pushing harder for tort reform?

They are CLEARLY branding the issue as "Repeal Obamacare", not "Enact tort reform."

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
That, in a nutshell. Instead of investing the time and energy into alternatives, they go on with this symbolic worthless bull****.
i'm sure they'd respond with some nonsense about Obamacare being fundamentally broken, must be repealed, blah blah blah.

but the reality is that Obamacare isn't all that different from pre-Obamacare. Both systems are confusing and highly-regulated. Why does the GOP want to revert back to another highly-regulated system?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
i'm sure they'd respond with some nonsense about Obamacare being fundamentally broken, must be repealed, blah blah blah.

but the reality is that Obamacare isn't all that different from pre-Obamacare. Both systems are confusing and highly-regulated. Why does the GOP want to revert back to another highly-regulated system?

Because they didn't write the law. If Obamacare works, and that's a big "if", then they have egg on their faces, big time.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So why isn't the party pushing harder for tort reform?
I noted that it was a fair argument to slam them for that. I support universal health care done correctly. It would take years to fix Obamacare. You have Obama exempting this group and that group because of the problems it's going to cause.

The "fixes" cause Obamacre to collapse. Once ended do I expect the GOP to take up proper health care? No I don't, which is one reason I haven't voted for one in awhile.

It's the one area I diverge from the Libertarian argument but nobody agree's with everything.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:02 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:

Obamacare is the law currently. What good would it do to try to "sell" something else to the American people at this point? No idea was better than implementing Obamacare just to do something. Obamacare is a total disaster rife with problems that are beyond fixing and needs to be repealed and not tinkered with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies