Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 05:01 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,177,901 times

Advertisements

Given that today's news organs don't actually ask hard questions and seem to actively take political sides (Witness the private press briefings that our President gives to only those columnists who agree with him), what question would you ask Obama? I mean, 60 Minutes interviewed him a few months and threw him nothing but softballs.

Let's omit crackpot questions about his birth certificates or faith. Instead, let's confine our questions to policy and performance in office. I'll start with three:

1. Mr. President, despite having solid majorities in both houses of Congress your first two years and controlling the Senate the rest of the time, why has the Federal government functioned without a budget since your inauguration?

2. Mr. President, two years ago you claimed that Al Queda died along with Osama Bin Laden. Today, American embassies throughout the Middle East have closed their doors in anticipation of large and coordinated attacks from that same organization. Please help the American people understand this apparent failure in counterterrorism, both operationally and in intelligence.

3. Mr. President, with so many Americans currently unemployed or dealing with chronic underemployment, why is it so important to your administration to legitimize illegal immigrants and essentially give them permission to compete with American workers?

Next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 05:03 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Doesn't matter what you ask him. He's the Great Prevaricator.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:15 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Mr. President, considering your lack of experience in any sort of executive position, your equivocating positions as a Senator, and your lackluster performance in the White House over the last 4 1/2 years, what made you think that you were qualified for the position of United States President in the first place?

Old 08-06-2013, 05:16 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Since we're playing make believe, allow me to step into the role of President Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
1. Mr. President, despite having solid majorities in both houses of Congress your first two years and controlling the Senate the rest of the time, why has the United States functioned without a budget since your inauguration?
With all due respect Mr. CPG, you should become more informed and not waste my time with these questions. To better inform yourself, you might consider reading the following link. Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm: Debunking the Myth: Obama's Two-Year Supermajority

Quote:
2. Mr. President, two years ago you claimed that Al Queda died along with Osama Bin Laden. Today, American embassies throughout the Middle East have closed their doors in anticipation of large and coordinated attacks from that same organization. Please help the American people understand this apparent failure in counterterrorism, both operationally and in intelligence.
I don't actually recall saying that, and I had my trusty assistant make a quick Google search that also failed to turn up such a quote. Can you source this claim?

3. Mr. President, with so many Americans currently unemployed or dealing with chronic underemployment, why is it so important to your administration to legitimize illegal immigrants and essentially give them permission to compete with American workers?[/quote] Well Mr. CPG, as you might have noticed, we have a Congress that has been reluctant and/or unable to pass just about any legislation, so seizing the opportunity to finally pass a bipartisan immigration bill is logically impossible to pass up. Beyond that, I've proposed and called for many jobs bills and another/larger stimulus and I suggest you contact your representatives about passing such legislation as well.

Old 08-06-2013, 05:22 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
Quote:
Beyond that, I've proposed and called for many jobs bills and another/larger stimulus and I suggest you contact your representatives about passing such legislation as well.
*cough* shovel ready jobs *cough*

Old 08-06-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Since we're playing make believe, allow me to step into the role of President Obama.

With all due respect Mr. CPG, you should become more informed and not waste my time with these questions. To better inform yourself, you might consider reading the following link. Gov. Jennifer M. Granholm: Debunking the Myth: Obama's Two-Year Supermajority

With all due respect Mr. President, perhaps one shouldn't quote hotbeds of slavish, partisan hacks such as the HuffPo and pass it off as truth. After all the name of the thread is "Since Journalism Is Apparently Dead..." and people such as the editorial staff of the HuffPo have abandoned their responsibilities to suck up to you as badly as the National Review did for W during his eight miserable years in office. Mind you, I never said that you had a supermajority. However, you did have a substantial majority in both houses during your first two years and still hold one in the Senate. Reagan and Clinton managed to negotiate and pass budgets when opposing parties held either one or both houses of Congress during their terms of office, even though pols such as Tip O'Neill and Newt Gingrich were implacably opposed to both those presidents. Why can't you?

Now let's move on to this gem:

I don't actually recall saying that, and I had my trusty assistant make a quick Google search that also failed to turn up such a quote. Can you source this claim?

Mr. President, allow me to refresh your memory:

Nov. 1, 2012, in Green Bay, Wis., you said, “Thanks to sacrifice and service of our brave men and women in uniform, the war in Iraq is over, the war in Afghanistan is winding down, al Qaeda has been decimated, Osama bin Laden is dead.”

Sept. 12, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada, you said, “A day after 9/11, we are reminded that a new tower rises above the New York skyline, but al Qaeda is on the path to defeat and bin Laden is dead.”

Sept. 13, 2012, in Golden, Colorado, you said, “Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq -- and we did. I said we’d wind down the war in Afghanistan -- and we are. And while a new tower rises above the New York skyline, al Qaeda is on the path to defeat, and Osama bin Laden is dead.” You repeated that line again on Sept. 17 in Cincinnati and again that day in Columbus, Ohio.

September 18th, 2012, in New York City, you said, "We have gone after the terrorists who actually attacked us 9/11 and decimated al Qaeda."

September 23rd, 2012, in Milwaukee, you again said, “al Qaeda is on the path to defeat.”

September 28, 2012, in Washington DC, you said “We said that we would go after al Qaeda, and they are on the run and bin Laden is dead.”

In short, in 32 different speeches on the campaign trail in 2012, you gave variations on Bin Laden being dead and al Qaeda on the run. Evidently they were taking a detour on the path to defeat, opting to run to Benghazi and plot new attacks elsewhere. As a bonus, here's some footage that your staffer evidently missed, testimony to the apparent incompetence of your administration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ0d6J2xCzg

That was easy. On to the last one:

Well Mr. CPG, as you might have noticed, we have a Congress that has been reluctant and/or unable to pass just about any legislation, so seizing the opportunity to finally pass a bipartisan immigration bill is logically impossible to pass up. Beyond that, I've proposed and called for many jobs bills and another/larger stimulus and I suggest you contact your representatives about passing such legislation as well.

Well, given that it is the job of the President to lead his party in Congress and given that so-called Immigration Reform has been a key bit of immigration, the response there can only lead one to believe one of two things: 1) Either the President is has absolutely no authority or sayso over the political leadership of his own party in Congress or 2) given the fact that illegal immigration affects both the availability of jobs and, because of the law of supply and demand, creates downward pressure on wages, the President doesn't really care about the working class of this country. Which is it?

Hope that helps.

Last edited by cpg35223; 08-06-2013 at 05:59 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 06:11 PM

46,972 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:

Mr. President, allow me to refresh your memory:

Nov. 1, 2012, in Green Bay, Wis., you said, “Thanks to sacrifice and service of our brave men and women in uniform, the war in Iraq is over, the war in Afghanistan is winding down, al Qaeda has been decimated, Osama bin Laden is dead.”

Sept. 12, 2012, in Las Vegas, Nevada, you said, “A day after 9/11, we are reminded that a new tower rises above the New York skyline, but al Qaeda is on the path to defeat and bin Laden is dead.”

Sept. 13, 2012, in Golden, Colorado, you said, “Four years ago, I promised to end the war in Iraq -- and we did. I said we’d wind down the war in Afghanistan -- and we are. And while a new tower rises above the New York skyline, al Qaeda is on the path to defeat, and Osama bin Laden is dead.” You repeated that line again on Sept. 17 in Cincinnati and again that day in Columbus, Ohio.

September 18th, 2012, in New York City, you said, "We have gone after the terrorists who actually attacked us 9/11 and decimated al Qaeda."

September 23rd, 2012, in Milwaukee, you again said, “al Qaeda is on the path to defeat.”

September 28, 2012, in Washington DC, you said “We said that we would go after al Qaeda, and they are on the run and bin Laden is dead.”

In short, in 32 different speeches on the campaign trail in 2012, you gave variations on Bin Laden being dead and al Qaeda on the run.
In other words, absolutely nobody claimed that "Al Queda died along with Osama bin Laden". So glad we got that cleared up.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:24 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
I'd ask him how he sleeps at night while being responsible for the deaths of so many women and children

Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,076,603 times
Quote:
With all due respect Mr. President, perhaps one shouldn't quote hotbeds of slavish, partisan hacks such as the HuffPo and pass it off as truth.
And with all due respect to you, Mr. Cpg, perhaps you should acquire the most basic understanding of logic and journalism to be able to discern between the factual parts of an article and the Op-Ed parts. Facts are facts, regardless of the political leanings of those reporting them. Considering you didn't actually challenge my rebuttal, I'll take that as a simple admission that you were wrong but used the "liberal media" deflection to cover your tracks.

Quote:
Reagan and Clinton managed to negotiate and pass budgets when opposing parties held either one or both houses of Congress during their terms of office, even though pols such as Tip O'Neill and Newt Gingrich were implacably opposed to both those presidents. Why can't you?
Those were different times and different political cultures.

Quote:
Now let's move on to this gem:

In short, in 32 different speeches on the campaign trail in 2012, you gave variations on Bin Laden being dead and al Qaeda on the run. Evidently they were taking a detour on the path to defeat, opting to run to Benghazi and plot new attacks elsewhere. As a bonus, here's some footage that your staffer evidently missed, testimony to the apparent incompetence of your administration:

Obama: Al Qaeda is on the run - Yet they managed to break out 500 from Abu Ghraib - YouTube

That was easy. On to the last one:
Thank you Mr. Cpg, for discrediting your own question. In every quote you listed, you'll notice that not once did you actually quote me as saying Al-Qaeda was "dead". That's because I never said it.

Thank you.

Quote:
Well, given that it is the job of the President to lead his party in Congress and given that so-called Immigration Reform has been a key bit of immigration, the response there can only lead one to believe one of two things: 1) Either the President is has absolutely no authority or sayso over the political leadership of his own party in Congress or 2) given the fact that illegal immigration affects both the availability of jobs and, because of the law of supply and demand, creates downward pressure on wages, the President doesn't really care about the working class of this country. Which is it?
Those are quite the claims, considering that at this point it appears immigration reform is likely to happen and the major dissent is coming from the tea party wing of the GOP. Perhaps my leadership is quite strong and the sane members of the GOP (along with their Democratic counterparts) know what they are doing.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In other words, absolutely nobody claimed that "Al Queda died along with Osama bin Laden". So glad we got that cleared up.
Kind of like I never claimed Obama had a supermajority. However, doesn't it give you pause that he was basically sounding a triumphalist note that proved absolutely false less than a few weeks later in Libya? I mean, if you are interested in truth as opposed to cheap partisanship, shouldn't you be really concerned about al Qaeda's recrudescence and the President's apparent failure to finish them off? I mean, let's be honest. Given how the Democrats made hay with Bush's absolutely stupid "Mission Accomplished" sign after Iraq, shouldn't you be equally concerned with those speeches Obama made? Wouldn't that be honest of you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies