Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 04:57 PM

21,478 posts, read 10,579,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookoutabove View Post
Yet the science would say you were wrong, and furthermore everyone under 30 (at least huge majorities) would also. Global warming is just like gay marriage and some other subjects. The GOP doesn't have to get on board with the rest of the country, but it will cost them in the long run. Hell, it already has.
I used to believe it when I was under 30 too. Then the weather went back to normal, and I read the Climate-gate emails, and saw the numerous articles all over the mainstream press (even the New York Times) where they said climate scientists admit there computer models have failed to explain why there has been no warming in the last 20 years even as carbon outputs have increased dramatically, and they have no clue why. Any science based on computer modeling is suspect to me. Sorry, I'm skeptical, and I have every confidence that you will eventually be too, when all the dire predictions fail to come true as they have been failing for some time.

Destroying our economy while allowing India and China to continue polluting because they are still "developing" is really stupid and pointless. How are we going to control the climate, especially with increased output from developing countries? What if the climate is changing naturally, and the only way for humans to adapt to it is with the use of cheap, reliable fossil fuels for energy? Remember all the warnings for people in the West to stay inside with air conditioning during the recent heat wave of temperatures in the 120's?

We can't replace our energy needs with wind, solar, and biofuels. We just can't. It would require way more space than we'd like to give, wind kills birds and bats, who knows what miles and miles of solar farms would do to the climate, biofuels are damaging to the environment, and a huge food crop like corn should never, ever be used for fuel when so many starve because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 05:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Any scientist that says something is "settled science" isn't actually a scientist at all. There is no such thing!

Posted with TapaTalk
*chuckle*

wait for...

You aren't qualified to make such a comment!

Why there is a consensus! You are denier!

You hate the planet!

You are anti-science!

You work for an oil company!

You are a Fox news viewer!

etc... etc... etc...

Old 08-10-2013, 05:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
I doubt anyone is denying the fact that there are average temperature changes -- sometimes up a degree, sometimes down a degree.

The fact is that Obama cannot lower the temperature. Even if the liberal voters view him as some kind of god, the slickest politician in the USA cannot turn down the thermostat for the world.

What people should do is pay attention to weather on the sun. Sun storms have an effect on the earth's climate.

Or if liberals really believe their politicians can control the weather and climate, then why aren't they doing it?

Old 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM

24,411 posts, read 23,070,474 times
They report the news, you decide. Or watch MSNBC for propaganda.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I watched last night as the weatherman said in Topeka the average temps for yesterday were 90, the high was in '32 or '34 & it was 110, yet yesterday's temp was 72. Oh wait... It's that global cooling because of global warming thing. Yea... now i remember they couldn't back up that man-made global WARMING thing so they changed it to man-made global climate change. That way they can blame humans no matter what the climate cycle is at any given time.

Snake oil. Con artists. Fraud.
You don't know anything about the differences between climatology and meteorology. I do as I have an extensive background in both subjects. Climatology is the long-term averages of temperature and precipitation for a particular location based on an Automatic Weather Observation Station. Averages for the US are based on a 30 year record for each particular location. The average temperatures globally continue to increase overall. Globally, this has been one of the warmest years on record so far to complement one of the warmest recorded the prior year. So, please stick with subjects you know something about and do not discuss matters of scientific importance.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
You don't know anything about the differences between climatology and meteorology. I do as I have an extensive background in both subjects. Climatology is the long-term averages of temperature and precipitation for a particular location based on an Automatic Weather Observation Station. Averages for the US are based on a 30 year record for each particular location. The average temperatures globally continue to increase overall. Globally, this has been one of the warmest years on record so far to complement one of the warmest recorded the prior year. So, please stick with subjects you know something about and do not discuss matters of scientific importance.
Thank you! Everyone with a window is suddenly an exert.

Last edited by weltschmerz; 08-11-2013 at 07:25 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 07:18 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
You must not be keeping up with the climatologist news then because they've admitted they have no explanation for the LACK of warming over the last decade.

It also doesn't explain the emails showing they colluded to commit fraud.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-11-2013, 07:24 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
You must not be keeping up with the climatologist news then because they've admitted they have no explanation for the LACK of warming over the last decade.

It also doesn't explain the emails showing they colluded to commit fraud.

Posted with TapaTalk
Incorrect. Temperatures each month are trending at the warmest on record. Every year is in the top 10 for warmest overall globally.

State of the Climate | Global Analysis - June 2013

State of the Climate | Global Analysis - May 2013

State of the Climate

State of the Climate

NOAA: Year-to-Date Global Temperature Ties for Warmest on Record

Old 08-11-2013, 07:26 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Well...Fox News and the lack of conclusive science.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Temperatures each month are trending at the warmest on record. Every year is in the top 10 for warmest overall globally.

State of the Climate | Global Analysis - June 2013

State of the Climate | Global Analysis - May 2013

State of the Climate

State of the Climate

NOAA: Year-to-Date Global Temperature Ties for Warmest on Record
Ummmmm.....you were the one who said yearly averages don't matter. Now you contradict yourself.

Not to mention that it IS true that they can't explain the lack of warming:

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...30416?irpc=932

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2013/05/2...lobal-warming/

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies