Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,672,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yep - Colorado and Ohio are easy guesses.
Ohio does not allow it according to the source I found.

File:Corporal punishment in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that may be true, but back in the day, and i am talking when i was growing up, there were very few children that ran around unchecked in a restaurant, as their parents wouldnt let them. you might have one or two at most. today you can have several kids running around making a fuss. back in the day if we acted up in a restaurant, our parents shut us down quickly, today often times the children are encouraged by the parents to act up. back in the day if we acted up, our parents may not have spanked us, unless we needed it, but you can bet that not only were we shut down in the restaurant, we caught hell when we got home as well.
Same in school. God help you if you got in trouble at school. Worse trouble was waiting for you when you got home. Not so today.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:43 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Damn Royals need a right fielder who can hit they should go scout catholic schools.
Why not request help from the Angels and Padres?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post

File:Corporal punishment in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia is not a valid source.

The source that Harrier used did mention the map was out of date.

Quote:
This map appeared in the New York Times on 30 September 2006 (read the whole article here). It shows Utah as still allowing CP, but with an incidence of zero. In fact it has been banned there not by legislation but by regulation. (Since the map was published, paddling has also been outlawed in Ohio and New Mexico.)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
I think you're fondly remember a past that did not happen.
oh i remember it alright, and it happened like i said it did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Same in school. God help you if you got in trouble at school. Worse trouble was waiting for you when you got home. Not so today.
aint that the truth!!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:

Speaking from experience, New York did in the 70s!

Old 08-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I think you're fondly remember a past that did not happen.
Oh it certainly was like that in the 60's and 70's when I was growing up.
When were you a kid ?

Old 08-09-2013, 01:49 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
show where i even suggested abusing a child. i dont disagree with child abuse laws, never have. i said teh CPS has too much power however, and needs to be reigned in. so again i ask SHOW ME WHERE I EVER HINTED AT ABUSING A CHILD. the truth is i didnt and you know it. you are writing total rubbish.
Here's your post--you've conveniently deleted it since you posted it, but I quoted it in post number 73 of this thread.

Quote:
ITS OBAMAS FAULT!!!!!! happy now? we cant blame obama, or any other president for that matter. this has been building for a long time, since the 50s in fact. if we want to blame anyone, blame the state legislatures and governors for passing child protection laws, and creating child protective services, and letting them go as far as they want to "protect" the children. when parents can go to jail for properly disciplining their children, CPS and CPS laws have gone too far. there is a huge difference between discipline, and abuse, unfortunately CPS tends to see abuse and not discipline.
As I said, parents spanking their own child isn't against the law ANYWHERE, unless you leave a mark or injure the child. If you're "disciplining" children to the point where you're concerned about child protective services getting involved, then you probably need to be in jail for child abuse anyway.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Speaking from experience, New York did in the 70s!
And that included Catholic schools. We had nuns with yardsticks and rulers.
Discipline was swift. There was no trip to the office or a call home. You misbehaved you were front and center of that class within 5 minutes and everyone witnessed the punishment. The student was sent back to his seat and class resumed like nothing happened. Those instances were rare and few in between but burned into all our memories.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that included Catholic schools. We had nuns with yardsticks and rulers.
Discipline was swift. There was no trip to the office or a call home. You misbehaved you were front and center of that class within 5 minutes and everyone witnessed the punishment. The student was sent back to his seat and class resumed like nothing happened. Those instances were rare and few in between but burned into all our memories.
Yeah, and the nuns at the catholic school my husband went to terrorized the kids--they were MEAN, and often CRUEL. That's one reason why my HUSBAND was so dead set against hitting our kids. He can remember being hit up the side of the head with a ruler until he bled, and remembers one of his classmates wetting his pants in elementary when one of the nuns approached him with a yardstick, because he knew what was coming. Don't romanticize the past because lots of the time it's not very pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies