Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

Transgender ‘female’ MMA fighter gives female opponent concussion, broken eye socket | News | LifeSite

I am not without sympathy and affection for the transgendered among us. I had my views turned around when my greatest teacher ever, Donald McCloskey, underwent the change and became Deidre McCloskey. He/she wrote a wonderful book about it.
Deirdre McCloskey on Gender Crossing

That said, aren't there some practical considerations here? Do we want to have men fighting women in the ring in the name of equality?

Quote:
"I feel like, if you already go through puberty as a man, that's something you can't really reverse," said Rousey, who said that it "would be fine" if a boy who was on hormone therapy to become a woman prior to puberty wanted to fight as a woman.
Is political correctness worth a broken eye socket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 05:24 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,610,493 times
ladyboys can be deceptively strong. that is part of the reason i am wary of them.

Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Do we want to have men fighting women in the ring in the name of equality?
Yes, fair's fair.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:34 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
I don't think anyone who changes their gender from whatever sex they were at birth should be allowed to compete in anything against others of their gender. It's just one of those things in life you don't get to do so find something else and don't cry about it.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:10 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Probably best to get rid of gender separated sports, just one league, anyone can join.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:44 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Transgender ‘female’ MMA fighter gives female opponent concussion, broken eye socket | News | LifeSite

I am not without sympathy and affection for the transgendered among us. I had my views turned around when my greatest teacher ever, Donald McCloskey, underwent the change and became Deidre McCloskey. He/she wrote a wonderful book about it.
Deirdre McCloskey on Gender Crossing

That said, aren't there some practical considerations here? Do we want to have men fighting women in the ring in the name of equality?

Is political correctness worth a broken eye socket?
A similar issue has come up before and I must say I'm always surprised by the comments on this topic. People wanting to do away with gender specific sports, or saying that fighting is dangerous no matter what gender it is. Are these people nuts? I agree with you, wutitiz.

It doesn't matter if this person took hormones and had surgery to become a woman, she still has a man's strength, height, speed. It's not fair for these "women" to play female sports, period. There is a reason there is gender testing in the Olympics.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
A similar issue has come up before and I must say I'm always surprised by the comments on this topic. People wanting to do away with gender specific sports, or saying that fighting is dangerous no matter what gender it is. Are these people nuts? I agree with you, wutitiz.

It doesn't matter if this person took hormones and had surgery to become a woman, she still has a man's strength, height, speed. It's not fair for these "women" to play female sports, period. There is a reason there is gender testing in the Olympics.
If the TS wo"man" competes with men it will be deemed unfair as well...

Old 09-24-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La'Quesha View Post
If that's what the women's rights activists want, then let them have it. Aren't women entitled to have their a$$es beaten just as badly as men?

You do realize that injuries are part of fighting sports, right? Getting punched in the face at full force is going to cause some damage, regardless of gender. Where are all of your threads showing concern about all of the men who've died in the ring?
Maybe he'd be concerned if these men died at the hands of a gorilla since a gorilla is naturally much stronger than a human male, just as a male is naturally much stronger than a female. This doesn't mean you can't find some very large woman who is stronger than a small man, but generally men are stronger, faster, and taller than women. It's just a fact of life.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If the TS wo"man" competes with men it will be deemed unfair as well...
Then they shouldn't have the surgery if the sport is so important to them. If they choose the surgery, then they need to resign themselves to not participating in the sport.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Then they shouldn't have the surgery if the sport is so important to them. If they choose the surgery, then they need to resign themselves to not participating in the sport.
I'm just saying, I can see claims of unfairness or some other complaint. A TS girl sued some school for making her stay with the guys - not sure what the issue was, but she won if I'm not mistaken.

For the record, the judo class I go to allows women to fight the men, but brute strength isn't that important in Judo. Very few women have even taken the class though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies