Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Maybe. Most of us will be either very old or dead before the consensus is settled. Determining what makes a few Presidents really great is always decided by generations born later than the times. They have more objectivity than those who lived through them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 10:14 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
What do you think?
Not of all time, just of the 21st Century.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:27 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,782,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
if by best you mean worst, heck yes.

the least he could do is cut off aid to Egypt when you see this:

The unarmed demonstrators in Egypt that was shot in front of the tank !

PEOPLE BEING KILLED IN COLD BLOOD.

we shouldn't ever be giving aid to a country that supports or fosters terrorism.

maybe somebody could show him this on his vacation to bring him up to speed.
Ummmm. Since there is no sound there is a good possibility that the protesters were warned to back off and it appears that shots were fired in the air over the heads of the protesters. ONE protester was shot in the leg. Not exactly mass murder is it? I guess when our military is out in a field in Afghanistan and some shaggy farmer walks towards them with his hands up and he is told to stop and continues towards them the soldiers should wait until he gets close enough to pull the cord????

If Egypt supporters and fosters terrorists, why is it looking for a way to legally disband the Muslim Brotherhood and declare them a terrorist organization (as some other countries did long ago, including Arab countries)?

If you want to talk about giving money to a country that supports and fosters terrorism, look to Pakistan, Afghanistan and Qatar.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:30 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Polk was the greatest President of all time. He achieved all of his agenda and grabbed the southwest and California away from the Mexicans.
He didn't achieve the 54'40'' or fight -- but I suppose the bigger idea behind that he did.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:57 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Too soon to make an honest assessment.
A billion dollar stimulus that accomplished next to nothing. NSA spying on innocent Americans. Caught covering up Benghazi. Saying the individual mandate was not a tax, then going to the Supreme Court saying it was a tax. Suing Arizona and making public statements criticizing their immigration law when he's supposed to be protecting the border himself. Implementing and circumventing law by using executive order. Saying the police acted stupidly before he knew any facts whatsoever in the Gates situation. Caught on camera telling the Russians he would be "more flexible after the election". Calling Republicans the "enemy" in a TV interview after making speeches about civility in politics. 500 million lost to Solyndra after government economics told the White House that the company was failing.

It's nowhere near too soon to make an honest assessment. Any honest person, no matter what your political persuasion, can tell that Obama is a terrible president. Just as I am a conservative but I have no problem saying that Bush wasn't a good president.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:03 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
For a president who campaigned on transparency this is the most corrupt president in my lifetime. He makes Richard Nixon look like a saint.. He may not be the worst president, but if he isn't he is sure a close second. I'm not sure whether he would be ahead or behind of Carter or Johnson, but it's very close.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
I wish I would have created a poll with thread. I'm sure most reasonable people would agree he definitely is in the top three at the very least.

72% Roosevelt
59% Clinton
58% Kennedy

One of the top three? Who is he going trump and knock down to 4th place?

His approval rating on the economy alone stands at 35%, down from 42% in June. I guess people are catching on to his creative calculations to determine jobs "created" and how the unemployment numbers are dropping. That those jobs "created" are part-time jobs created through the elimination of full time jobs (one full time job eliminated, two part time jobs created) and how unemployment is dropping because people are no longer eligible to collect UE benefits because their time was up. Oh, and the more people that need to rely on government just to EAT is a good thing right?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
wait 20 years. his whole legacy is intertwined with his health care bill.

if it succeeds, he will be in the top 10.
IF is a big word. Having said that, if his health care bill has to be revamped he will get credit for implementing the worst health care bill ever and I don't think it will take 20 years to figure it out - possibly 5.

His legacy also includes his foreign policy, and so far his record in that department sucks.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:18 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
I wish I would have created a poll with thread. I'm sure most reasonable people would agree he definitely is in the top three at the very least.
Your poll would have been as skewered as your thread title, so what would have been the point?

Old 08-18-2013, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He is not the best, but if you judge him by the same standards like all other presidents, which is by getting things done which he set out to do, then he is doing ok so far. Whether or not people agree with the things he set out to do is an entirely different matter. That is a matter of personal opinion, and does not make Obama any more or less successful. It is funny people call him the worst president only because they do not agree with his goals.
A president isn't judged on his "goals". It's like a report card - it's based on performance.

One of his goals was to promote Muslim religious tolerance across the world (2007 speech in Cairo). How's that working out?

Another was to promote gay and lesbian civil rights to countries that are not as accepting as the US. Some countries just don't want to mirror the US and shouldn't be told that doing so is the right thing, and not to is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies