Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 11:18 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times

Advertisements

harrassment and relocating them for their own safety, and they're an eyesore. Who's next?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Bhz05-CDK0k

Prison Planet.com » FEMA Camps: City to Exile the Homeless; It

Under the radar from the prying eyes of the public, South Carolina made it legal to get rid of their homeless problem. The people were given a choice, FEMA Camps or jail. The irony of it all was this happened right at the 50th Anniversary of Civil Liberties in August. The bad part is different cities from Boston to New York are shipping off their homeless, and no one cares. Is this coming to a town near you?
In August the city of Colombia, South Carolina, had a problem. A festival honoring the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement was coming to town. They couldn’t be seen with all the homeless when guests arrived from all parts of the United States. So the city council held a vote and made homelessness a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,230,482 times
At least FEMA camps gives them a shelter.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:22 AM

415 posts, read 764,852 times
Ahh' America the Great ......

Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
harrassment and relocating them for their own safety, and they're an eyesore. Who's next?

Under the radar from the prying eyes of the public, South Carolina made it legal to get rid of their homeless problem. The people were given a choice, FEMA Camps or jail. The irony of it all was this happened right at the 50th Anniversary of Civil Liberties in August. The bad part is different cities from Boston to New York are shipping off their homeless, and no one cares. Is this coming to a town near you?
In August the city of Colombia, South Carolina, had a problem. A festival honoring the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement was coming to town. They couldn’t be seen with all the homeless when guests arrived from all parts of the United States. So the city council held a vote and made homelessness a crime.
Consider the source.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
more claudhopper and her hero alex jones

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:

i don't support imprisoning them

but i do think a state, county, or local gov't should be able to relocate them to another place, like a less desirable area within the same jurisdiction

Old 11-05-2013, 12:10 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,233 times
Quote:

Probably then the drug dealers, prostitutes, some street cleaning, etc.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:27 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Go to netflix and look up the Star Trek Deep Space Nine double episode Past Tense. It's about the Bell Riots which take place a decade or so from now. The cities got tired of dealing with the poor and made Sancuray districts where food and shelter was provided. But they wouldn't stay there so they built walls around them, and every city has one which is stuffed to overfull, out of sight and out of mind, with the people who didn't make it.

The ghetto finally explodes, and the long slow road to better begins, but what was absolutely amazing is after the script was written, and it was being shot, the LA city council began debating a proposal to take and area of the the city frequented by the homeless, provide social services and free lodging and so forth. It was in part motivated by the wish to get the homeless out of sight and in part by more noble motivations, since kids might have a school provided and could be checked, but that was what the episodes were about, how nobel ideas can turn into ghettos without meaning to.

When the full cut of the episodes were finished, they did a screening for the city council. They voted down the proposal.

I've been homeless and the worse of it is being invisible, like you aren't there, even if all I was doing was sitting and eating my lunch with my dogs at the park. But then I'd guess most are still a paycheck or two from it still, so fear is of what you can't acknowledge.

Most who go homeless find a place in six months or so. Those who don't often find a place within the homeless society of shelters and so on so they become wanderers.

Check out my blog, about that time. But the worse we can do is stop seeing homeless people as human.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM

545 posts, read 452,019 times
FLaud has been making some nice changes and is going for the family atmosphere from what I understand, so if anything great to hear of the area's good focus and success, lots of positive.

Last edited by macpherson; 11-05-2013 at 01:05 PM..

Old 11-05-2013, 02:35 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Go to netflix and look up the Star Trek Deep Space Nine double episode Past Tense. It's about the Bell Riots which take place a decade or so from now. The cities got tired of dealing with the poor and made Sancuray districts where food and shelter was provided. But they wouldn't stay there so they built walls around them, and every city has one which is stuffed to overfull, out of sight and out of mind, with the people who didn't make it.

The ghetto finally explodes, and the long slow road to better begins, but what was absolutely amazing is after the script was written, and it was being shot, the LA city council began debating a proposal to take and area of the the city frequented by the homeless, provide social services and free lodging and so forth. It was in part motivated by the wish to get the homeless out of sight and in part by more noble motivations, since kids might have a school provided and could be checked, but that was what the episodes were about, how nobel ideas can turn into ghettos without meaning to.

When the full cut of the episodes were finished, they did a screening for the city council. They voted down the proposal.

I've been homeless and the worse of it is being invisible, like you aren't there, even if all I was doing was sitting and eating my lunch with my dogs at the park. But then I'd guess most are still a paycheck or two from it still, so fear is of what you can't acknowledge.

Most who go homeless find a place in six months or so. Those who don't often find a place within the homeless society of shelters and so on so they become wanderers.

Check out my blog, about that time. But the worse we can do is stop seeing homeless people as human.
Great post! I look forward to reading your blog. I suppose what scares us the most is that they could be any one of us. Most of us are living on the edge, and few can say they feel totally secure.

An area that I have frequented for years to walk my dogs has been inundated with homeless and their tents. I no longer feel safe to walk there, even tho it's probably perfectly fine. I object to the trash they leave behind and knowing they relieve themselves there. I notice that they are gone during the day, probably picking up cans and recycles. I sympathize with them to an extent, and thought tent cities sounded like a good idea, but not by force and not run like a prison. Give them some space and let them monitor it themselves, with minimal rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies