Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 10:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times

Advertisements

There are people who still think that the markets are on the up and up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 05:29 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
They brought NASDAQ down to accomodate their 'do over' - why can't I get a 'Mulligan' after I make a stupid trade?

"Trading on the Nasdaq was halted on Thursday for more than 3 hours, and the only formal explanation that we got was that it was a "technical issue". On Tuesday, Goldman Sachs made thousands of "erroneous trades" that are now being canceled. If those trades had not been canceled, it could have cost Goldman "hundreds of millions of dollars" according to the Wall Street Journal. How nice for them that they get a "do over". When Knight Capital made a similar "trading error", they were not so fortunate."

They Actually Expect Us To Have Faith In These Financial Markets After This Week?
How is that even possible???

Are you kidding me? So now, not only can they gamble with everybody's money, but when they place a bad bet, they can now renig.

They were the same ones who bonused themselves millions with our tax dollars.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This is easily one of the dumber things I have read in a long time. That amount of money is nothing to Goldman. Any glitch at any time would cause a swing of that size for Goldman.
Money's never a thing is it? How do you get paid your hefty salary?? Your certainly not creating a good for the people. Hardly providing a service either.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:43 PM

I don't know if some of these issues are just too hard for people to understand, or if they simply don't understand the impact that all of the Financial industry fraud/manipulation is having on our society.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:57 PM

We should let all petty thieves out of our jails.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
The two incidents are unrelated.

It's not clear if all the erroneous orders electronically submitted by Goldman's systems on 8/20 were filled or cancelled. For all we know, the trades may have been profitable.

The unrelated freeze at NASDAQ on 8/22 was triggered by a connectivity issue with the NYSE ARCA exchange.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The two incidents are unrelated.

It's not clear if all the erroneous orders electronically submitted by Goldman's systems on 8/20 were filled or cancelled. For all we know, the trades may have been profitable.

The unrelated freeze at NASDAQ on 8/22 was triggered by a connectivity issue with the NYSE ARCA exchange.
" If those trades had not been canceled, it could have cost Goldman "hundreds of millions of dollars" according to the Wall Street Journal."

Old 08-23-2013, 06:10 PM

In this particular case, I'm not 100% sure it was corruption. However, I do think there is widespread moral "corruption" within the industry.

Old 08-23-2013, 06:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
" If those trades had not been canceled, it could have cost Goldman "hundreds of millions of dollars" according to the Wall Street Journal."
This seems to be the buzz that started it all:

"Many of the trades may wind up being erased but the error could still cost the firm upwards of $100 million, according to a person familiar with the situation."

The OP's doomsday link attempts to lend credibility by attributing the remark to the WSJ. when it's an anonymous source's speculation. This rag chose to lead with sensational speculation from an anonymous source because that's the sort of thing many of their readers accept as fact.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
This seems to be the buzz that started it all:

"Many of the trades may wind up being erased but the error could still cost the firm upwards of $100 million, according to a person familiar with the situation."

The OP's doomsday link attempts to lend credibility by attributing the remark to the WSJ. when it's an anonymous source's speculation. This rag chose to lead with sensational speculation from an anonymous source because that's the sort of thing many of their readers accept as fact.
I stated I wasn't 100% sure in another post. I checked out the link and didn't consider the most unbiased source.

Do I think Goldman's is a moral company and wouldn't cheat to get ahead? No. But this isn't a solid case whether its true or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies