Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
But what about all the struggles my white ancestors went through? They were mainly Irish and were treated like dirt by other people here. What about the Italians? Or the French who settled in the south? Many of them died from diseases. What about the Germany immigrants who were mistreated during WW2?

White people have had their fair share of problems too, in fact today I know several black people who are more successful than white people. I think blacks should also be mad at other blacks because it was originally other Africans who sold them into slavery.
Well, I suppose if the Irish or the Italians were taken from their homeland and enslaved and systematically treated as second class citizens for a 100+ years you'd be on to something. And we all die from diseases so that's not special. German immigrants facing mistreatment is similarly unfortunate but it wasn't on the scale of the wholesale discrimination against blacks for decades.

You are correct that white people have had their share of problems. All people have had their share of problems. But there is a big difference when you have some members of a group face a hardship and when you have all members of a group face a hardship. If you notice, all of the groups you mentioned were a specific nationality. Blacks as an entire race were subject to this discrimination and they were subjected to it for a longer period of time and done so systematically.

And, yes, Africans did sell other Africans into slavery - and that, I agree, blacks must acknowledge.

[if it makes a difference, I'm ethnically Hispanic/Asian, so I'm looking at this from a third party perspective - I don't see why people are so offended by BHM]

Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Duplicate thread, there isnt a double standard, you are simply race baiting, or you did not even try to research your argument before you did it.

If anyone cares to look up the others and name the specific months im about to list, that would be appreciated.

Irish Heritage month
German Heritage month
Italian Heritage month
Hispanic Heritage month
Japanese Heritage month
Native American History Month
Baseball teams usually have nights celebrating these heritages.

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
White people weren't slaves? So what about all the white slaves in Roman times? Owned by the Roman elite. Maybe I should go and ask for an official apology from every Italian person?

BTW most white people didn't even own slaves, including the south. The vast majority of whites were dirt poor. Why is there no history month to show the struggles of the poor white farmers? Would that be racist?
Do you live in Italy?

1,214 posts, read 1,696,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Why do you people always fill these forums with these pointless questions? Are you that ignorant of history?
"Why do YOU people"?... What are you trying to say there? Who are "you people"? Why can't they just be people?

Looks like someone has some issues...

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
White people used Indentured Servants, then a freed BLACK indentured Servant sued the US gov. to let him KEEP his BLACK Indentured Servant and created modern day slavery. Blame the blacks for this.

Anthony Johnson
Was there a point to what you just said?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
But what about all the struggles my white ancestors went through? They were mainly Irish and were treated like dirt by other people here. What about the Italians? Or the French who settled in the south? Many of them died from diseases.
If White immigrants were oppressed, it was by other White immigrants, and all of their stories are now celebrated in the White history books every chance we get to see it.

Quote:

What about the Germany immigrants who were mistreated during WW2?
Where did this happen? All I know is that it is a fact that German POWs in Europe and here in the United States were treated better than African American soldiers. Whites were so hung up on white supremacy and racism that they dared treat enemy combatants with more humanity than their own fellow Americans.

The hypocrisy is astounding - not much unlike the hypocrisy that undergirds this thread.

Quote:
White people have had their fair share of problems too, in fact today I know several black people who are more successful than white people.
If there were true equality of opportunity in this country, you'd see a lot more of that.

Quote:
I think blacks should also be mad at other blacks because it was originally other Africans who sold them into slavery.
That makes as much sense as whites being angry at other whites because of how one group treated another group badly in Europe.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:35 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
Quote:
First I should mention that I think all history months based around a group of people is stupid. Why can't history just be taught as history? Why do people (mainly liberals) feel the need to put labels on people and put them in boxes?

I think there's a double standard in our society. It's not racist for black history month to exist, but people would freak out if somebody tried to make a white history month, it's not racist for black people to be proud of being black, but it's considered racist if a white person is proud to be white?

Why is this?

If you honestly paid attention you would realize that every month is WHITE HISTORY MONTH!

I personally enjoy many of the black history month shows that would otherwise be ignored.

You can't look at it as a slap in the face at whites.. its a awakening of sorts. We have been taught our whole lives what famous WHITE people have done, black history month gives us a chance to see few things that black people have done.

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Whites weren't slaves in this country.

Also every month is white history month. Pick a month and you will find a white person being celebrated.
Oh they weren't?

Quote:
England continued to ship tens of thousands of Irish slaves for more than a century. Records state that, after the 1798 Irish Rebellion, thousands of Irish slaves were sold to both America and Australia. There were horrible abuses of both African and Irish captives. One British ship even dumped 1,302 slaves into the Atlantic Ocean so that the crew would have plenty of food to eat.
The Irish Slave Trade

What gets me is that England was the biggest slave trader and NONE of you race hustlers ever mention them as being racists, just here in America. Many of you idolize England and Europe where slavery was created and was alive and well much longer than here in the US.

Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
nope

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes, a BLACK MAN CREATED THE SLAVERY THAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT! Didn't you know this? I thought you were a teacher? Oh, never mind, you are a new generation teacher who didn't learn much in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies