Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should a business owner be able to require English to be spoken in his business?
Yes - It is his business 90 91.84%
No - It is discrimination 7 7.14%
Not sure 1 1.02%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Philadelphia Cheesesteak Shop Owner Defends 'Order in English' Policy

A small sign that asked customers to order in English at a famous cheesesteak shop was never meant to be offensive, the shop's owner testified Friday at a hearing to decide whether the policy was discriminatory.

Joe Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, defended his policy before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, which filed the discrimination complaint.

"This country is a melting pot, but what makes it work is the English language," Vento told the commission. "I'm not stupid. I would never put a sign out to hurt my business."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316939,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2007, 08:48 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Jeez, lawyers hurting for billable hours in Philly?

His business, he oughta be able to tell people to order in Albanian if he wants to.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:52 AM

640 posts, read 461,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jeez, lawyers hurting for billable hours in Philly?

His business, he oughta be able to tell people to order in Albanian if he wants to.
Totally agree.....

520 posts, read 1,853,625 times
I think its ok for a private business to decide that they only do business in English. I don't think it would be ok for the government to say that business must be done in English.

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I think the owner has the right to restrict the language because if he didn't he'd be compelled to have staff who spoke other languages, but I can't answer your poll because you set it up as "spoken in his restaurant."

Anyone can speak any language in the restaurant, but not require staff to speak their language.

My opinion only.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,340 times
A private business should be able to ask that patrons order only in english, or any langage the restaurant desires, if that is what they want from all patrons, I think it’s similar to the “no shoes, no shirt, no service” policy. It’s only discriminatory if they treat “other” people differently from “other types” of people in the same situation. Say a restaurant makes you pay before you leave but they want black people to pay after they order. That’s discrimination. Asking all people to order in a preferred language isnt discriminatory. Besides, if you don’t want to order in english, go somewhere else. Geno’s is not the only place making cheesesteaks sandwiches in Philly.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Philadelphia Cheesesteak Shop Owner Defends 'Order in English' Policy

A small sign that asked customers to order in English at a famous cheesesteak shop was never meant to be offensive, the shop's owner testified Friday at a hearing to decide whether the policy was discriminatory.

Joe Vento, the owner of Geno's Steaks, defended his policy before the Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations, which filed the discrimination complaint.

"This country is a melting pot, but what makes it work is the English language," Vento told the commission. "I'm not stupid. I would never put a sign out to hurt my business."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,316939,00.html
My original thought was that the shop owner was correct. The more I think about it, the more I disagree, but my disagreement is based upon a "minor" wording issue.

Here is a photo of the stores window

I disagree with the first sign, what does "America" have to do with the english language? Last I checked, english is not the national language.

The second sign, I 100% agree with, its his shop, he can actually refuse service based upon whatever parameter he decides.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Look, this is Philly. Classic Philly behavior, do anything to get attention. All they had to really do is not respond to customers not ordering in english, but they decided to make a statement for publicity. They succeeded in this objective.

This board, including Immigration and 2008 Election subforums, is NOTHING compared to a typical discussion on any Philly streetcorner. And we don't end up with cops separating folks.

They need the publicity. I think Pat's Cheesesteaks are much better than Geno's. And WhiteHouse in Atlantic City is better too. Grew up eating these things at least a couple of times a week.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:22 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,144 times
The sign is needlessly inflammatory.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
This, too, could happen on Broadway!

Right? Wrong? It is a fact of big city life, self promotion and irritation in a city faced with 27 languages and 45 different cultures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Look, this is Philly. Classic Philly behavior, do anything to get attention. All they had to really do is not respond to customers not ordering in english, but they decided to make a statement for publicity. They succeeded in this objective.

This board, including Immigration and 2008 Election subforums, is NOTHING compared to a typical discussion on any Philly streetcorner. And we don't end up with cops separating folks.

They need the publicity. I think Pat's Cheesesteaks are much better than Geno's. And WhiteHouse in Atlantic City is better too. Grew up eating these things at least a couple of times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies