Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Money is the same thing as food on someone's table, and less poverty in the future for our children. I do hold a better choice for the future over making it a little easier for me today. You are right about one thing, it is definitely a fool's choice to sacrifice the future to make the present slightly easier. That is the definition of greed.
But that is exactly what we are doing.

No more glass soda bottles that we had to return to the store..throwaway plastic bottles
No more cloth diapers that would be washed and refused...pampers
I could go on about all the throwaway goods we have now to make it "easier".

I still can't fathom people buying throwaway mops.

And then we get on our soapboxes about going green.
Do we go back to glass and reuse ? No, we get a different garbage can for those plastic bottles
Do we reduce our use of plastic ? Those bag bans are just a ban on free plastic bags because they are still there in the stores only now you are charged for them.

Our "going green" is a huge farce that people are making money off of.

I use my clothesline instead of the dryer.
I have canvas bags for shopping.
I grow vegetables and save seeds for next year.
I have chickens that give me eggs.
I have livestock that I graze all around so I don't have to mow.
My home is situated under trees facing north/south which reduces electricity usage.

My wish list has a wood burning stove and solar panels to further reduce my usage.

I'm doing it for economic reasons because the cost of energy just keeps increasing and increasing.
The side effect is that I am becoming more "green". But in doing that I'm paying less into the system.
And the people running the system don't want that. They don't want you using less because that's less money for them.

Don't you see that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 01:15 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So that the plant does not die when the herbicide is sprayed to kill the weeds around it.

Roundup ready seeds have roundup in their genes so they don't die when the field is sprayed with herbicide.
Bt field seed have pesticides in their genes to kill any bugs that try to eat it.

For someone who is so pro GMO I'm surprised you even asked that question.
er, no. i believe you are getting confused.
first of all, it's dow, not monsanto.
secondly, the point is to splice in genes that will produce proteins that allow the plant to survive the detrimental effects of herbicides, whether that herbicide happens to be roundup or 2,4-D. there would be no point whatsoever in putting engineering an actual herbicide into a plant - that was never done, and would be totally useless. these genes were originally found to occur naturally in bacteria.

thirdly, the situation for Bt is quite different - in that case, the plant is engineered to actually produce a very specific toxin against insects, which will not kill 'any' bug, but only certain lepidopterans [i.e., moths]. again, these genes are naturally occuring in bacteria [Bacillus thuringiensis].

for someone who is so anti-GMO that they would introduce a bash against monsanto into a thread about kids leaving at home more often, i'm surprised that you are so unclear on this basic concept.

Last edited by uggabugga; 08-26-2013 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 01:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Good for you, you are teaching your children right....Are the rest of the parents? I am, my son is 12, he helps with the lawn, changes oil with me, and will be self dependent...when he is done with college.

But what about the rest of the parents, who are teaching their children to live of the government?

You know they are out there, there in no way a 20 years old child with 3 children has any other way to live.......can you not see that?

Oh, and BTW....this is not a race thing...so whoever reads this....just stop....

I don't know any parents "teaching their children to live of the government", and I know a lot of parents b/c I have 20something kids. I don't know of any kids living at home, either, at the moment. My younger daughter lived with us for a while after she graduated from college (about a year), while she worked and saved money. You do need money to make a deposit on an apartment, buy furniture, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Actually, the cited article shows that most people 18-31 do NOT live with their parents.

But I agree, the trend is getting worse. The article says that 36% do.

Most interesting is where it says that 29% of employed people that age, live with their parents. Indicates that either (a) their wages are very low, or (b) expenses are very high.

I wonder what percentage of employed people that age, lived with their parents 10 years ago? 20 years ago? Etc.

(For the leftist "I'm trying to pretend conservatives are dumb enough to think the wrong way" types, I mean people who were that age 10 years ago or 20 etc.)
Wages are NOT particularly high for most kids with a college degree and no experience right now, except for perhaps the nursing and engineering students. Landlords usually do require at least a security deposit, if not first and last month's rent just to move in. Plus, even in a 1 BR apt, you need some furnishings. Sure, you can get a $50 couch from Goodwill, but when you're making $10/hr, that's 5 hours of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Another issue is that the Federal government only uses income to determine poverty. You could own two houses, 3 cars and have a flat screen in every room. As long as you are within the poverty income boundaries they count you as poor in the US Census and that (census) is the basis for every "poverty" news story.
Not true in all cases. Some programs look at assets as well.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-26-2013 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: Rude

Old 08-26-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Go to a public library to gain an education, volunteer to work for free to build new skills.
Not this again! We've gotten away from "reading" law, etc in the last, oh, 100 years or so. There's not much you can volunteer for that is going to give you high-end job skills. I didn't look at all of these job descriptions, but the higher level positions require what they'd require if you were getting paid, e.g. degrees, experience and the like.
http://www.bouldercounty.org/jobs/vol/pages/volall.aspx

Quote:
Obviously smoke controls had a limited effect, but you do realize that the collapse of the steel industry started in the early 1950s, don't you? Also, Pittsburgh's population decrease (leading to economic stagnation) started in the early 1950s as well.

It needs to be a compromise because anything taken to the extreme is harmful at least and ineffective at best. Haven't you ever heard the quote "perfect is the opposite of good"? Compromising isn't cutting corners. It is realizing that we are all adults and have multiple conflicting priorities to deal with. Do I care about the environment? Absolutely. Do I care about a sound financial and economic system so that people can have jobs to earn enough money to eat? Absolutely as well. Blindly picking one over the other is a childish way to look at the world. There are multiple priorities that conflict with each other. We, as responsible people must find a way to balance those priorities to find a solution that best serves everyone involved.

Simply saying "it is my health, I am not cutting corners" is a selfish way of looking at the world that creates more harm that it prevents.
Actually, it was the steel strike of 1959 that was "the beginning of the end" in the opinion of many in the steel industry. Still, it took until the 70s for there to be any noticeable effect. If you don't believe that, look at some Pittsburgh metro population stats. The population really started dropping in the later 70s. Then everything crashed in 1982.

Quote:
But that is exactly what we are doing.

No more glass soda bottles that we had to return to the store..throwaway plastic bottles
No more cloth diapers that would be washed and refused...pampers
I could go on about all the throwaway goods we have now to make it "easier".

I still can't fathom people buying throwaway mops.

And then we get on our soapboxes about going green.
Do we go back to glass and reuse ? No, we get a different garbage can for those plastic bottles
Do we reduce our use of plastic ? Those bag bans are just a ban on free plastic bags because they are still there in the stores only now you are charged for them.

Our "going green" is a huge farce that people are making money off of.

I use my clothesline instead of the dryer.
I have canvas bags for shopping.
I grow vegetables and save seeds for next year.
I have chickens that give me eggs.
I have livestock that I graze all around so I don't have to mow.
My home is situated under trees facing north/south which reduces electricity usage.

My wish list has a wood burning stove and solar panels to further reduce my usage.

I'm doing it for economic reasons because the cost of energy just keeps increasing and increasing.
The side effect is that I am becoming more "green". But in doing that I'm paying less into the system.
And the people running the system don't want that. They don't want you using less because that's less money for them.

Don't you see that ?
A woodburning stove will not make you "greener"; in fact, wood has a lower energy efficiency than fossil fuels.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:37 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, it was the steel strike of 1959 that was "the beginning of the end" in the opinion of many in the steel industry. Still, it took until the 70s for there to be any noticeable effect. If you don't believe that, look at some Pittsburgh metro population stats. The population really started dropping in the later 70s. Then everything crashed in 1982.
I definitely agree that strikes were a part of it. I didn't get into why the industry was declining, simply that it was.

There was definitely a noticeable effect even in the 1950s. The late 50's, early 60's is when the population started to really plummet. I mean...the population dropped over 10% from 1050-1960, which is a fairly significant number.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:

Wages are NOT particularly high for most kids with a college degree and no experience right now, except for perhaps the nursing and engineering students. Landlords usually do require at least a security deposit, if not first and last month's rent just to move in. Plus, even in a 1 BR apt, you need some furnishings. Sure, you can get a $50 couch from Goodwill, but when you're making $10/hr, that's 5 hours of work.

Not true in all cases. Some programs look at assets as well.
30-40 years ago it was much easier for an 18 year old to move out on their own with just a HS diploma never mind college degree.

Now it's pretty hard for those with a degree to do both if they have high debt with student loans.
And those that are living away from home are most likely living with room mates.
It's quite expensive to start off on your own today.

And multi room apartments today give out separate leases to each one that gets a bedroom.
A 3 bedroom apartment can have 3 different leasees living it in.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
30-40 years ago it was much easier for an 18 year old to move out on their own with just a HS diploma never mind college degree.

Now it's pretty hard for those with a degree to do both if they have high debt with student loans.
And those that are living away from home are most likely living with room mates.
It's quite expensive to start off on your own today.

And multi room apartments today give out separate leases to each one that gets a bedroom.
A 3 bedroom apartment can have 3 different leasees living it in.
In my area, it's not separate leases, though all names will be on the lease. That means that all the people on the lease are jointly and separately responsible for the entire rent. This can be bad if someone moves out.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
A woodburning stove will not make you "greener"; in fact, wood has a lower energy efficiency than fossil fuels.
true. but wood is a renewable resource.
in that sense it is 'greener.'

Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:

I won't have to rely as much on power plants to provide electricity to provide heat.
Wood is free, electricity is not.

I'm on a well and septic system.
I rely only on the electric company to keep the pump running.
I get that all done up with solar and my reliance on them goes to zero for water.

I'm living a lot more "green" than many urban people.
I also burn what trash I can and only need to throw out what is not burnable.
I fill up the trash can every 3 weeks now. But the trash company still charges me per week. I would love to go to once a month pickup and have them charge me for that one pickup.

While the system tells us to live better, the finances won't let us because there would be a big drop in revenue for these providers.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Since Obama and the liberals running things intend to bring in unlimited numbers of cheap foreign laborers, the writing is on the wall --- we're headed to third world living standards and it's much better for adult children to be supported by their parents than by the taxpayers. You breed 'em, you feed 'em, even into their 50s if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies