Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:46 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times

Advertisements

You want to get the young millenial parents or the generation x'ers all riled up? Start complaining about their children and their behavior. It's gotten so bad, some restaurants have decided to ban the little rug rats during prime hours.

"NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — One restaurant in Texas has a special order for its patrons: “hold the kids.” The restaurant has joined a growing number of eateries that have closed their doors on the smallest diners."

Increasing Number Of Restaurants Ban Children During Dinner Rush « CBS New York

As a boomer parent I know we were overindulgent with our kids, at least by the standards of our parents, but the latest crop of little monsters can be unbearable. And just say anything to little darlings as they try to steal the food of your plate and you'll have an angry parent in your face demanding an apology for interfering with their child's need to express themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 09:48 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
And I say..speak with your wallet.
Ask to be moved or have the dinner written off.
If people don't complain to management it will only get worse.

Tolerance is a 2 way street here.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,121,570 times
Basically, when I'm eating, I'd rather somebody's little darling isn't running through the restaurant unsupervised, or screaming at the top of his/her lungs in the throes of a tantrum.

Last edited by carterstamp; 08-09-2013 at 09:58 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times
I LOVE that places are doing this. Sorry but I'm not a fan of kids, at all. And I'm especially not a fan of this growing problem of parents thinking their kids are the most special, cutest, adorable kids ever. Or the parents who don't give a crap about their kids at all & let them run amok. I realize taking kids out in public will acclimate them to being out in public but there are just some places that I don't want to be around kids. They get in the way constantly, they're loud, sticky. No thanks.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,204,963 times
That is their right to do so. They will have to decide if they want the business of one group or the other.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:51 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Well, considering that spanking your child is generally frowned upon in this day, and age and in some places will get child services called on you, what did you expect? I have a 10 year old, and it's really quite simple; if said restaurant doesn't allow kids at certain times, then we don't patronize it. It's the restaurant's rules, and I'll choose to take my business elsewhere. At any rate, my parents weren't abusive by any means, but best believe if I pulled some of the crap that kids pull in public nowadays it most certainly would have been grounds for an a**whoopin'!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,801,275 times
Good for them!

Places are called Family Restaurants for a reason. If you want to bring your obnoxious, screaming kids to a restaurant that are under 8 years old bring them to Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Perkins, or Chili's.

There is no way that patrons at high end, trendy, and expensive restaurants should put up with families with screaming kids and deal with everything that comes with them.

If I had a restaurant I'd have a no children under 8 after 6pm policy and I also would NOT offer a kids menu. If kids are too picky with what they eat, they can stay home or go to McDonalds.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,996,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Basically, when I'm eating, I'd rather somebody's little darling isn't running through the restaurant unsupervised, or screaming at the top of his/her lungs in the middle of a tantrum.

Yep. It starts with the parents! I'm one, and I don't subscribe to that "kids will be kids" BS!!! It's a cop out, and that crap doesn't fly with me! Parents should be in control of their kids. When in public I expect my son to have proper manners, and proper behavior. Does it always happen? No. But I definitely work to put the kibosh on it!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:56 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,170,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well, considering that spanking your child is generally frowned upon in this day, and age and in some places will get child services called on you, what did you expect? I have a 10 year old, and it's really quite simple; if said restaurant doesn't allow kids at certain times, then we don't patronize it. It's the restaurant's rules, and I'll choose to take my business elsewhere. At any rate, my parents weren't abusive by any means, but best believe if I pulled some of the crap that kids pull in public nowadays it most certainly would have been grounds for an a**whoopin'!
Yes, I don't recall myself or my siblings or other kids for that matter acting up in public back in the day like you do now. I think it has something to do with the fact that parents were actually, you know, parents in my day. Nowadays, parents seem more like friends to their kids. How often have you heard someone say that their mom is their best friend? I hear that a lot from the younger kids/teens/20 somethings. Strange because you NEVER would have heard that from anyone in my age group. It's just not how we view our parents. We love them, sure, but best friend? Uh, no. I have a best friend & it's definitely not my mom. My mom is my mom, my dad is my dad. They parent & discipline, that's what they're there for, lol. Not to sound harsh & like I have no relationship w/my parents, I do. It's just very different from the kids now.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:57 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,210,076 times
You have to have some common sense as a parent. If one of our kids started acting up in a public place, one of us went out to the car with them, or we simply left. An infant is one thing, but after a few times of leaving, slightly older kids get the message pretty quickly that good behavior is expected and the "fun" (eating out, being at a fun event) stops if they misbehave.

I don't know why some of you rant about younger parents--I see plenty of young families doing exactly the same thing now, just as I saw lots of disrespectful parents let their kids run wild back when my kids were young.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-09-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies