Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times

Advertisements

I can feel Americans getting healthy already :-) or they went to burger king, wendys, chick fil-a, or somewhere else.
Remove the min, wage, stop devaluing the DOLLAR so that milk doesnt cost 3.50 per gallon and maybe we can get some really value out of our labor and or worth. FYI you can not support a family or let alone yourself on mcdonalds service jobs. they are good for part time work, college students and high school kids who already have a career path. Managers should be making more and as should regional managers etc. That is between mcdonalds and the employees on what wages are fair in the market place.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:29 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I hope each and every one of them get fired and replaced. That way they get NO money, they are fired for cause, and get NO unemployment.

I am sure that for every person who walked out on their job, there are 2 people wanting that job.
They exploit the workers by paying slave labor wages. I will never eat in one of those places again., including Walmart. What do they not get. , would uou work for wages where you had to be on food stamps because the job did not pay enough ? No, i didn't think so... pay the poor workers 20.00 an hour, there is NO good reason anyone can give for pay being so low.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:35 PM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
A note from an expatriate in Oz:

Quote:
Cost of living in Australia is at least 25% higher than the US. Pay is barely higher than US. One area where they are higher is at the bottom. Minimum wages are higher.

Medical care in public hospitals is cheap but that is because the higher taxes are used to pay for it.
Housing is much more expensive in Oz than the US.

Cars are 60-200% higher. Food is likely 50% higher (just a guess based on personal experience.) Taxes are higher, too. They also have a 10% VAT nationwide.

Small refrigerators are over $1000 where a 40% larger model in the US would be $600 with icemaker (not included in most Aussie fridges because they are too small.) One reason for the smaller fridges is ... Electric power is about 28-30 cents per kwh compared to 11-12 cents in the US.

Beef may be healthier in Oz but it is tougher and much more expensive. Chicken breasts (boneless) are about $5/lb at the cheapest in Oz. When I left the US it was on sale for 1.99/lb.

The manufacturers of the world give US buyers the cheapest prices, and make up the profit in Australia. (Computer parts are one area that is comparable in price because buyers have started buying
and shipping from the US. That can't be done with large heavy items so the Aussies get screwed. They also use 240v 50cy so most US electric products can't be brought to Oz.)

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I wonder what McDonald pays their workers in other Country's, in relationship to what other honest jobs are paying. I would bet its more than in the US. on average.
I know of several McDonalds that pay 15.00 an hour now, they are in resort areas and downtown locations, like on Michigan Avenue, Chicago. Somewhere along the line these fast food companies found a way to exploit the workers, only because there more waiting in line for jobs. From what I hear the burger flippers are getting up to 20.00 an hour in places where there are no extra work force lying around, like the oil Fields in Alberta, even in Calgary and Edmonton.Not sure about Williston , ND.
I would bet it's comparable to the level of skill needed to do the work.

You can't trick supply and demand.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:44 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,173 times
Quote:
They exploit the workers by paying slave labor wages. I will never eat in one of those places again., including Walmart. What do they not get. , would uou work for wages where you had to be on food stamps because the job did not pay enough ? No, i didn't think so... pay the poor workers 20.00 an hour, there is NO good reason anyone can give for pay being so low.
OK, what skills do they bring to the industry that would warrant more pay? What will make THEM a VALUABLE asset to the company?

Fast food is truly an entry level job. It's where one goes to learn basic job responsibilities. Between home and job, you then start looking for another job, not fast food, that pays better. You WORK for it. If you feel so bad for them, then go donate your dollars.

Yes, there are some skilled folks that got stuck in that job. But, many did it to themselves. Having kids super early in life, getting tattooed up, piercings, etc.

You have got to understand that most of these people choose the path they go down.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:45 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I would bet it's comparable to the level of skill needed to do the work.

You can't trick supply and demand.
I would like to see those numbers. In other countries pay is based a lot on location.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
I did work for minimum wages at one time. As stated those are low skills ;part time jobs like high scholl students work at. never meant to support a adult .if they make 15 the the next up need to be paid 30 for higher skills and harder work.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I agree!!!!

GET RID OF THESE STUPID KIDS WHO DONT GIVE A RATS TAIL ABOUT QUALITY!! (They do the crummiest job they can get away with)
I swear, it has gotten to the point where we EXPECT our order to be wrong at a fast food restaurant and are pleasantly surprised when it's right.

And this quality of work is worth $15 an hour? I don't think so.

And only about 5 percent of workers work at federal minimum wage rates. Which means that 95 percent of workers make above federal minimum wage.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:52 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
I would like to see those numbers. In other countries pay is based a lot on location.
It's also standard of living.

If they are making 20% more than here in the US but the cost of their goods are 20% more than that's a wash.

Just look at the price of gas over in Europe as a comparison. Gas in the UK is $10/gallon (USD converted).

You can't just look at salary.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
how come restaurant employees are not doing this? they don't get 15.00 per hr. how about the supermarket worker? how about the gas station worker? and I am sure oil companies that the gas is made from make a little profit. so why only fast food?
that is where the organizers start. if you get the fast food workers to demand more money, and they actually get it, then it makes it easier to get more money for the next industry they decide to target. eventually it works its way up the system, and everyone then demands more money, and chances are that if you get enough malcontents together, they will form a union, and then it really gets tough to say no, especially if those same malcontents can get enough people into the state legislatures to change the laws and require union membership in order to just get a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
My god, these people just dont understand entry level wages. It's not supposed to be a living wage! It should help motivate them to learn the basic job skills, and move up and/or out.
to be honest, they dont care. the people that get these jobs are young dumb and full of various stupidity, and as such they think that the world owes them a living.

Quote:
I'm willing to put money on it, but I bet more than 75% of those "striking" couldnt count back change. Such a simple skill yet I'm certain most of them cannot do it without a calculator. I've been asked to leave many fast food establishments because I was "harassing" the employee's by making them count back change without the register or calculator.
75%!?!?!? a little low in your estimate dont you think? its more like 95%. the 75% number is nationwide. i also train people how to make change without a calculator.

Quote:
There is no skill level in fast food that is deserving of 10 plus dollars an hour until you get into management. Most of these people cant even say "please" when they ask for your money. This is common crap they should know.
very true.

Quote:
If I owned a joint like this, the day before, I'd have tentative offers to many that are willing to work for the standard wage in place of anybody already working that chooses to walk out to protest.
good idea. most managers think ahead when they get wind of things like this, and either call a meeting and put their foot down, or line up temporary employees to handle the load if needed. and some of those temps become permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies