Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 09:09 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I toss his prayers back at him, I do not want them, I do not need them. I used to respect the church, but that is waining quickly. They do not respect me and they try to force their religion upon all people, not just their own parishioners.
Take heart in the polling that shows Americans are becoming less religious each year. I think in my lifetime we'll see the church's influence decimated. Only good things can result from that.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:25 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Take heart in the polling that shows Americans are becoming less religious each year. I think in my lifetime we'll see the church's influence decimated. Only good things can result from that.
I think that any church that makes the decision to get involved in politics should pay the price and be taxed.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:31 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I think that any church that makes the decision to get involved in politics should pay the price and be taxed.
I agree.

Also, these people who want their religion to make laws need to think about all of the religions, and all of the religious laws out there. Do they want to live by another religions laws? Even different denominations of "Christians" have different laws.
If you are allowed to get laws passed based on YOUR religion, then other religious groups can do the same.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Wrong because being gay is an unchosen trait a sexual orientation. So for me its gay marriage or nothing. You cant give benefits to people based on unchosen traits. The other things you listed were not traits but chosen actions. If you want to marry three people and can't you can still marry in accordance with your orientation. Since I'm gay nature created me to couple with another male. Therefor you are denying me any chance to get married. Your relationship is not better than mine simply because you are straight in birth. Many gay people have been together for decades waiting to marry. Many straights get married in vegas and divorce soon after. Not getting married won't change my orientation. It makes my life harder though.
I do not see it as a right to be part of something that you were excluded from by definition of that thing. Big deal, you were born one way so just do your thing, make your own institution, no one will mind. You wouldn't try to force your way into a red headed club if you don't have red hair, why would you expect to force your way into a heterosexual institution if you are not heterosexual? Why not wait to be welcomed in, as societal attitudes change, wouldn't that be more rewarding anyways? Banging on the gates with a gay pride parade (perversity and fetishism on display if you've ever seen a gay pride parade) is no way to behave if you want to be respected. (not saying you would do that, but some do)

Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I do not see it as a right to be part of something that you were excluded from by definition of that thing. You wouldn't try to force your way into a red headed club if you don't have red hair, why would you expect to force your way into a heterosexual institution if you are not heterosexual? Wait to be welcomed in, as societal attitudes change. Banging on the gates with a gay pride parade (perversity and fetishism on display if you've ever seen a gay pride parade) is no way to behave if you want to be respected.
Hilarious classic bigotry. Perhaps we should have told black people the same thing when they held the March on Washington. Just wait until whites accept you with open arms! No need to push!

Astonishing ignorance. Well done.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:02 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,271,551 times
Quote:
I do not see it as a right to be part of something that you were excluded from by definition of that thing. Big deal, you were born one way so just do your thing, make your own institution, no one will mind. You wouldn't try to force your way into a red headed club if you don't have red hair, why would you expect to force your way into a heterosexual institution if you are not heterosexual? Why not wait to be welcomed in, as societal attitudes change, wouldn't that be more rewarding anyways? Banging on the gates with a gay pride parade (perversity and fetishism on display if you've ever seen a gay pride parade) is no way to behave if you want to be respected. (not saying you would do that, but some do)

Marriage isn't a "heterosexual" only club. It has been, many things over the thousands of years its been recognized as a union of consenting adults and in some cases, between adults and CHILDREN. Even your own bible describes marriage most often as the union of man to MANY women (polygamy).

Various cultures even had same sex unions ceremonies/marriages, that includes the Ancient Greeks , Egyptians and the Chinese.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:07 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
And if the presence of a penis is really the only thing you seek... dude...
don't you think that's shallow?
You're essentially breaking a person down to one
part of his body. Besides, a woman can fake having a penis plenty easily by
using a "toy"... or at least so I've heard. I'm not into that sort of thing.
....and are massive rolls of blubbery fat on a morbidly obese woman the only thing YOU seek?
Dude, don't you think that's shallow?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:10 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,803 times
Quote:
The bolded are the issues with your argument.

The definition of marriage is very wishy washy. Marriage has changed and evolved so much throughout history, one single definition cannot be agreed on. Not to mention, "twerk" was just added to the English dictionary, so if you really want to look at it that way, times change. Definitions need tweaked (tweak while we twerk?) for clarity over time as times change.

Marriage is not a heterosexual only institution. Try again.

Societal attitudes have changed significantly according to the latest polls. So...essentially you're saying, gay marriage should be legalized 100% country wide since the majority now supports same-sex marriage?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Societal attitudes won't change UNLESS there's banging on the gates. Are people supposed to sit meekly by, hoping for a change in attitude by osmosis?
(And Pride Parades are a hoot! I love 'em.)

Old 09-11-2013, 11:14 AM

How do you think womens' rights came into being? We had to stand up and take them! Otherwise, we'd still be chained to the stove and not allowed to vote and own property.
Society wasn't going to change. WE had to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies