Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
If those calling working taxpaying Americans 'selfish' would get a job, they wouldn't be begging for others to support them.
I'm the one who referred to selfishness in my message but evidently you aren't inclined to read and reply with integrity and instead chose to inanely pervert what is written into something you are capable of arguing against. What an incredibly craven rhetorical tactic.

What I actually wrote is this:
As long as the propaganda extolling the virtues of selfishness and avarice afflict almost half the nation, and as long as the GOP is intent on obstructing anything that even smell like it will help the middle class or the poor, as lycos679 alluded to, I think the best we can hope for is keeping a bulwark against the Republicans' intent on doubling economic inequality in our nation for a second time in as many generations.
I have a job. So right off the bat, with your implication that I should "get a job", we have clear evidence of how you speak from ignorance. I've even made clear in threads that I know you have read that I wouldn't benefit from practically any of that which I support. My job pays well; it is secure; I'll never be eligible for subsidies or anything like that. Yet you double-down on speaking from ignorance with preposterous rhetoric like this, presumably because you have no fact-based, cogent argument to make in support of your objections to my comments.

It may be something you are unable or unwilling to accept, but many people support efforts that benefit other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
...keep the flame going on various oppressors (Repubs, Christians, Whites, Corporates) and how you are their victims. It's a never ending cycle.
Perhaps if right-wingers stopped working so hard to selfishly exploit those less fortunate and started actually supporting human decency rather than what you called "oppression", then the cycle would end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 07:12 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,554,410 times
It is THEFT to take my money by using the federal government to force me to pay for things I don't believe in.

If you support that, YOU are the thief.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:15 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
It is THEFT to take my money by using the federal government to force me to pay for things I don't believe in.
No it isn't. You're just spewing nonsense, perhaps because you're upset about having to live up to obligations to something other than yourself.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,554,410 times
Yes, it IS theft. But for someone who would beg for handouts without shame, being a thief is probably ok.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:27 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,031,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm the one who referred to selfishness in my message but evidently you aren't inclined to read and reply with integrity and instead chose to inanely pervert what is written into something you are capable of arguing against. What an incredibly craven rhetorical tactic.

What I actually wrote is this:
As long as the propaganda extolling the virtues of selfishness and avarice afflict almost half the nation, and as long as the GOP is intent on obstructing anything that even smell like it will help the middle class or the poor, as lycos679 alluded to, I think the best we can hope for is keeping a bulwark against the Republicans' intent on doubling economic inequality in our nation for a second time in as many generations.
I have a job. So right off the bat, with your implication that I should "get a job", we have clear evidence of how you speak from ignorance. I've even made clear in threads that I know you have read that I wouldn't benefit from practically any of that which I support. My job pays well; it is secure; I'll never be eligible for subsidies or anything like that. Yet you double-down on speaking from ignorance with preposterous rhetoric like this, presumably because you have no fact-based, cogent argument to make in support of your objections to my comments.

It may be something you are unable or unwilling to accept, but many people support efforts that benefit other people.

Perhaps if right-wingers stopped working so hard to selfishly exploit those less fortunate and started actually supporting human decency rather than what you called "oppression", then the cycle would end.
Why do Liberals always write like this? Trust me, you impress no one but other liberals.

I was dirt poor once and my hard work has made a decent life for my family and I. Family should help other family members in tough times and if you have no family members to assist you you will have to try a little harder. You will be a proud person in the end when you succeed.

But getting anything for free is just not the same. Remember the spoiled brat kids you grew up with. See what they are doing today.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 5 days ago)

52,711 posts, read 48,015,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
A few months ago at a Dredging company in Baltimore, the speech was that middle class jobs will be returning to the U.S.

Is this true? In what sectors of the economy?

Since a service economy of retail and food service is unsustainable, what are the current plans by the administration.

Are they aware of what middle America is looking like these days?. Opinions welcome.
Darth Barry is not ---- repeat, not ---- going to bring the middle class new jobs. He's not going to bring the poor new jobs. He's not going to bring any of us those things. What does he want? Government dependence and a welfare state.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Why do Liberals always write like this?
Like what? You mean, holding self-serving perspectives to account for their immorality? Perhaps because they want to outline the reason for change that they outline, change that rectifies past injustice.

Quote:
Trust me, you impress no one but other liberals.
If you think any partisan ever posts anything anywhere ever to "impress" partisans of the opposing perspective, then you are fooling yourself. Partisans, such as yourself, are not going to turn their whole perspectives over into the dirt because of anything anyone else says. The purpose of discourse is to draw distinctions between the different approaches for those who do not support any perspective.

Quote:
I was dirt poor once and my hard work has made a decent life for my family and I.
I was poorer than you and worked harder than you and did better than you.

See how pointless it is to try to use your own personal stories to prove anything in regard to the perspective that you're trying to support?

Quote:
Family should help other family members in tough times and if you have no family members to assist you you will have to try a little harder.
That would be a nice sentiment if it weren't for the fact that trying a little harder doesn't guarantee overcoming structural impediments to economic justice. If the only way you can defend your perspective is by denying the volumes of data showing institutionalized injustice, then discrediting your perspective (in the minds of those who do not support any perspective) is going to be incredibly easy.

Quote:
You will be a proud person in the end when you succeed.
Your comment seems to indicate that people should be ashamed of working hard and not succeeding. That's offensive. That which one should be proud of is their work, not whether or not they've been lucky enough to succeed. The self-congratulatory perspective of those who have "won" tends to foster disreputable callous disregard for others and denial of the realities of injustice. It also tends to foster disreputable presumption of superiority on the part of those with power, rationalizing offensive exploitation of power for personal gain.

Quote:
But getting anything for free is just not the same. Remember the spoiled brat kids you grew up with. See what they are doing today.
He's a rich OB-GYN, with his own medical practice. He's also turned into a very generous and altruistic guy. Making any assumptions about what people become based on what they were when they were children is pretty silly.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:15 AM

2,305 posts, read 3,031,722 times
Posted by bUU,
If you think any partisan ever posts anything anywhere ever to "impress" partisans of the opposing perspective, then you are fooling yourself. Partisans, such as yourself, are not going to turn their whole perspectives over into the dirt because of anything anyone else says. The purpose of discourse is to draw distinctions between the different approaches for those who do not support any perspective.

This is where you are wrong. Unlike you I follow no political party.

As far as how you write. Liberals use words that are not used in everyday conversation to seem smarter than who they are talking with. We understand what you are trying to say. And they also talk down to people who disagree with them.

And if you think Liberalism is the answer to societies problems look at all the major cities who have had Democrats in charge for the last 20 years or more. Not any place I would want to live. Not into high taxes and crime.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:22 AM

7,520 posts, read 5,765,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
As long as the propaganda extolling the virtues of selfishness and avarice afflict almost half the nation, and as long as the GOP is intent on obstructing anything that even smell like it will help the middle class or the poor, as lycos679 alluded to, I think the best we can hope for is keeping a bulwark against the Republicans' intent on doubling economic inequality in our nation for a second time in as many generations. And that's pretty much what the President is doing: The best that can be hoped for given the opposition's intent on destruction.
We are the only thing standing between liberals bankrupting what was once the greatest nation in the world. Left to your own devices you would have the entire nation in bread lines and your savior would have the rest fighting illegal wars or military actions all over the world. A little thanks and respect is appropriate here.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:27 AM

7,520 posts, read 5,765,128 times
Quote:
Why do Liberals always write like this? Trust me, you impress no one but other liberals.

I was dirt poor once and my hard work has made a decent life for my family and I. Family should help other family members in tough times and if you have no family members to assist you you will have to try a little harder. You will be a proud person in the end when you succeed.

When people have never worked for what they have its impossible for them to grasp your concepts. This is the new America evidenced by fast food workers who think they are worth as much as a teacher. Our kids went from the pledge to God and Country in our schools to the pledge of a narcissistic President who kills innocents because of ego and feeds his loyal followers with the money earned by their neighbors. It's pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies