Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 01:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,292,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Anyone can get school loans unless you screwed something up in the past..
Not true. I know a few people that have excellent credit ratings and could not get student loans. Saved them from wasting their life paying back a loan that wouldn't get them higher paying jobs anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 02:45 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,940,983 times
Some may find this informative.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
This documentary is interesting regarding multinationals and off shoring. It does completely omit the govts as largest shareholder of publicly traded corps. It also promotes the tax myth. However, it still has some interesting information in it.

Video: How 1% asset-holes

The Tax Free Tour (VPRO, Marije Meerman) - YouTube

Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Not true. I know a few people that have excellent credit ratings and could not get student loans. Saved them from wasting their life paying back a loan that wouldn't get them higher paying jobs anyway
Not to mention this endless debt economy we have is nothing more than slavery. Student loans basically follow people to their graves.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:02 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
This is perfect class-warrior nonsense.
Wow... What a remarkably self-serving bit of claptrap. I outline the parameters of the class war, being waged by those with financial power at the expense of those who do not, and you try to rationalize that offense by calling me a class warrior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
The problem with you bUU and your ilk is that you think a handout is the answer to everything. You take the handout then demand more and give nothing in return.
I don't have an ilk. I don't think a handout is the answer to everything. I don't take handouts. I don't demand more. I give lots.

FIVE factual errors. You didn't get a single bit of what you said correct.

How do you expect anyone to regard anything you say with any bit of credibility when all you do is post lies, falsehood, deceptions, and inane misdirections?

FIVE factual errors. FIVE. In just two sentences. Based on that we can rely on an average of 2.5 lies per sentence you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
what have I been supporting?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...user&u=1556643

Quote:
But you didnt answer the question, yo jsut waa waa waa as usual.
You just post pointless refusals to acknowledge the answers that you're given.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Which propaganda would that be, exactly? Got any links?
2012 Republican Platform - GOP

Quote:
None of the people I support - Rand Paul, Jim DeMint, Paul Ryan, etc - have ever extolled the virtues of selfishness that I have heard.
Deny it all you want, it doesn't change the reality.

Quote:
I guess I don't actually support lower taxes and less regulation so that businesses have an easier time growing and thus provide more and better paying jobs.
Ah yes: Trickle-down Economics, the idiocy that the GOP trots out whenever they think they can get away with it. It failed, friend. Get over it. Find another song.

Quote:
Yes, all 50 million of us registered GOP members in the United States are intent on making sure no average person gets help. We vote for Republican congressmen for the express purpose of having them make our lives worse. Talk about propaganda.
Not propaganda: Don't blame me for the reality of the impact of GOP deception.

Quote:
Anyone can get school loans unless you screwed something up in the past..
Your assumption that those less fortunate "screwed something up" is without merit. There are many people who did everything right, and simply found themselves living in poverty because of our society's structural impediments. Stop trying to rationalize the failure of our society's economy by cravenly trying to shift blame onto hard workers who simply aren't offered living wages for the jobs that they've invested the time, energy and money to become qualified for.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? If you hold the position that individuals holding menial dead-end jobs can improve their performance on the job - hence improve their job skills - in the context of menial dead-end jobs, improved job performance often does not lead to greater compensation.

If you are a minimum wage employer with a surplus of qualified applicants, you have no need to offer raises. Burger-flipping jobs generally do not promote the development of transferable job skills beyond basic skills expected of all employees.
They can.

I know a person who worked her way through college at a Starbucks. She was given shift supervisor promotions, continued going to college, got her degree in something that might not be all that useful but now that she's got a degree, they're giving her more promotions and more pay.

Lots of people in restaurant management including fast food, started out at the bottom and got promoted.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They can.

I know a person who worked her way through college at a Starbucks. She was given shift supervisor promotions, continued going to college, got her degree in something that might not be all that useful but now that she's got a degree, they're giving her more promotions and more pay.

Lots of people in restaurant management including fast food, started out at the bottom and got promoted.
The restaurant industry is one of the worst to work in.
One should always make the best with what you have. However, many have gone this route. Many have a great deal of degrees, debt and no job. While starting a business maybe preferable, that also has a cost. Real people can do all these things and still not be able to eat or have a place to sleep. There simply are not enough jobs. The reality of our system is it is all debt based and centrally controlled. Until this changes these boom and bust will continue. By design it is imbalanced and unsustainable.

Why not change the model? Makes more sense to me. In our current model I would say an individual's best option is to become less dependent on the central control system. This varies, but can give far more control back to individuals imo. Telling someone to go into more debt and simply work harder doesn't seem like much of a solution to me.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:45 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,415,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I'm the one who referred to selfishness in my message but evidently you aren't inclined to read and reply with integrity and instead chose to inanely pervert what is written into something you are capable of arguing against. What an incredibly craven rhetorical tactic.

What I actually wrote is this:
As long as the propaganda extolling the virtues of selfishness and avarice afflict almost half the nation, and as long as the GOP is intent on obstructing anything that even smell like it will help the middle class or the poor, as lycos679 alluded to, I think the best we can hope for is keeping a bulwark against the Republicans' intent on doubling economic inequality in our nation for a second time in as many generations.
I have a job. So right off the bat, with your implication that I should "get a job", we have clear evidence of how you speak from ignorance. I've even made clear in threads that I know you have read that I wouldn't benefit from practically any of that which I support. My job pays well; it is secure; I'll never be eligible for subsidies or anything like that. Yet you double-down on speaking from ignorance with preposterous rhetoric like this, presumably because you have no fact-based, cogent argument to make in support of your objections to my comments.

It may be something you are unable or unwilling to accept, but many people support efforts that benefit other people.

Perhaps if right-wingers stopped working so hard to selfishly exploit those less fortunate and started actually supporting human decency rather than what you called "oppression", then the cycle would end.
Great post! So very well said and TRUE.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
Many of the members of my faith will be reading the book "Behind the Kitchen Door" this coming church year, which documents the atrocious situation in the restaurant industry today.
Quote:
The book reveals how restaurant workers live on some of the lowest wages in America and how poor working conditions—discriminatory labor practices, exploitation, and unsanitary kitchens—affect the meals that arrive at our restaurant tables.
Full article: Unitarian Universalist “Common Read” | UUA

Old 09-02-2013, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
So far he wanted to end tax credits for companies that ship jobs overseas, provide credits for companies that bring jobs back, reduce the mfg tax rate to 25%, and lower the top corporate tax rate to 28%.

None of these measures passed Congress though, so I don't know why he is still talking when he knows that anything he proposes isn't going to pass.
Let's not forget the 2 failed jobs bills.

There's a reason why polls put Congress beneath cockroaches.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,412,161 times
I hear alot of people say the reason nothing has changed is because the congress is blocking Obama's jobs bills. Is this true or not? I never really can find a straight answer. I see alot of lip service from Obama. One minute he's pro-business and then he's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies