Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 03:50 PM

46,299 posts, read 27,108,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I think that's naive wishful thinking that ignores human behavior. They will drill a well that maximizes their profits. If something goes wrong, they'll apologize, claim that it was an oversight, let some heads roll, and move on.

Is that clear enough for you?
The Deep Water Horizon people will disagree with you....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 04:16 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Default Huh....fracking improves the overall economy!

Fracking done responsibly is a good thing.

The problems come from slobs who do it irresponsibly and then leave a mess behind them.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:15 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
I think that's naive wishful thinking that ignores human behavior.
I haven't suggested something cannot go wrong, I'm just addressing your assertion they will pollute for profit. That said all studies suggest this is a very safe industry including studies from the EPA.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They use extremely high amounts of water that are is in short supply and drinking water, water rights will be a rather large issue in the decades to come.
That's not the case in PA, water is plentiful. I forget what the number was exactly but in couple of seconds as many gallons as they will use in day is going to flow past a set point on the Susquehanna. That's where they are getting the water from including tributaries ans other rivers. They are using an infinitesimally small fraction of what is available.

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-05-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 PM

243 posts, read 452,760 times
Some of you might be interested in the info/links in the Ohio forum drilling thread. I've posted links to a lot of articles and reports specific to fracking in the Marcellus and Utica shale plays in Ohio.

Drilling Operations

Old 09-05-2013, 08:49 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Fracking done responsibly is a good thing.

The problems come from slobs who do it irresponsibly and then leave a mess behind them.
Which is why we need strict oversight and responsible regulations to ensure it is done right and without harm to the environment. Also, is it really necessary to use uranium in fracking? I read that is one of the chemicals used in the soup they inject

Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Not talking about technical aspects...I can read that on Wikipedia.

I'm talking about this naive idea that energy companies will do the right thing if they're unregulated because it's always in their economic interests to do so.

That's extremely pollyanaish.
Of course they'll do the right thing, left to their own devices.

Hydraulic fracturing — the controversial process behind the spread of natural gas drilling — is enabling oil companies to reach previously inaccessible reserves in North Dakota, triggering a turnaround not only in the state's fortunes, but also in domestic energy production. North Dakota now ranks second behind only Texas in oil output nationwide.
The downside is waste — lots of it. Companies produce millions of gallons of salty, chemical-infused wastewater, known as brine, as part of drilling and fracking each well. Drillers are supposed to inject this material thousands of feet underground into disposal wells, but some of it isn't making it that far.
According to data obtained by ProPublica, oil companies in North Dakota reported more than 1,000 accidental releases of oil, drilling wastewater or other fluids in 2011, about as many as in the previous two years combined. Many more illicit releases went unreported, state regulators acknowledge, when companies dumped truckloads of toxic fluid along the road or drained waste pits illegally.

North Dakota’s Oil Boom Brings Damage Along With Prosperity - ProPublica

Old 09-05-2013, 11:00 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,119,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let me explain this one last time. If we had a bad ass don't give a **** about the environment company drilling with absolutely no government oversight that can do whatever the hell they want..... they are going to drill a well that protects the ground water because that is what their economic interests dictate.

Is this clear enough for you.....

You don't need potable (i.e. drinking water) to "frack". The issue is where SOME companies are cutting corners on disposal and treatment of water. This isn't debatable.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Wow, I mis-read the title of this thread. I thought it was about prostitution at first.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:29 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Here are those good paying jobs the lefties are always squalking for......unfortunately, it's in the energy business.....no workers need to be on public assistance, no workers on food stamps, produces cheaper energy which helps the average family....all good.

Oh....no wars needed for domestic fuel!

"Surging oil and natural gas production bought on by hydraulic fracturing is lifting the U.S. economy by lowering energy costs for consumers and manufacturers, according an industry-funded report.
In 2012, the energy boom supported 2.1 million jobs, added almost $75 billion in federal and state revenues, contributed $283 billion to the gross domestic product and lifted household income by more than $1,200, according to the report released today from IHS CERA. The competitive advantage for U.S. manufacturers from lower fuel prices will raise industrial production by 3.5 percent by the end of the decade, said the report from CERA, which provides business advice for energy companies."

Fracking Boom Seen Raising Household Incomes by $1,200 - Bloomberg
I don't get it. How is that a liberal or conservative thing. Everyone knows that oil companies make money. What exactly is your point? It almost seems like you're looking for something to make yourself feel good about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies