Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In a sense, your post gets to the gist of the matter.

The OP is half my age, which places him smack dab in the cell phone generation. So in a sense, I can imagine that I sound like a retarded old fuddy dud when I ridicule the notion of a phone app that seems asinine beyond reason.

And in truth, I'm not able to convey how lame I think the whole idea of a ghetto alert phone app really is to me without running completely afoul of the TOS and being banned for life.

But the reality is that I have to also place myself in his shoes and understand why the thought of something like this seems completely reasonable. I get it from a generational standpoint. The cell phone is an appendage at this point, and it's here to stay. If you can use it to somehow avoid potential problems, then use it. After all, it's a readily available tool that you're paying for.

Still though, I'll just go with my trusty instincts. They haven't failed me yet...although I'm willing to accept the risk that they might one day.
I agree with you. We didn't have a phone being the brains for us. You look out your window, see certain things & realize ahhh, I'm not in the best area, am I? Not that hard to figure out, also not that hard to get out of either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:13 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,867,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I agree with you on that, it is a non-trivial app.

I will also add that it's ironic to be reading a debate called "Ghetto Tracker, 'App That Helps Rich Avoid Poor, Is As Bad As It Sounds" here on City-Data ... a website that by definition helps people make relocation choices and one of the MAJOR relocation choices people take into consideration is whether or not a given area is high crime or not!

At any time of day, there are no doubt many posts with people asking others what a given neighborhood is like but put that same information in a GPS app and it's suddenly offensive!
Well just to throw this out there, the title of my thread is just the title of the article I linked to cut and pasted.

But yes, very good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
:shrug: Your loss, I guess. Some of the best places to eat around here, for example, are in neighborhoods where the lily-livered would feel uncomfortable.
Oh look, more insults towards those who would like to avoid the ghetto. You guys sure are some intellectual giants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I agree with you. We didn't have a phone being the brains for us. You look out your window, see certain things & realize ahhh, I'm not in the best area, am I? Not that hard to figure out, also not that hard to get out of either.
Or you could just... avoid it in the first place.

I see your point, but you're not exactly superior to anyone who chooses to take advantage of technology. Not sure who came up with that idea, but it's quite ridiculous.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:14 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
Quote:
And then you get carjacked because you waited until you were in the neighborhood before you knew it was bad. Many neighborhoods are fine on one side of the street and nearly a ghetto on the other. Also, what if you aren't driving and get off the subway at the wrong stop?

Have you ever actually spent any time in a city?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:17 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,905,263 times
I'm not even sure how one can argue against the usefulness of such an app.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I'm not even sure how one can argue against the usefulness of such an app.
When you're practically a cultist moonbat without a leg to stand on, you'll pull out pretty much any argument you can.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post

I see your point, but you're not exactly superior to anyone who chooses to take advantage of technology. Not sure who came up with that idea, but it's quite ridiculous.
I didn't say I was superior. Although, there are those out there who don't need a calculator to do math, they grew up w/out them. Do you think they feel that they're a wee bit superior than those who need calculators? I bet they do. I don't blame them either.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:20 PM

73,097 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes. Surely the term "carjacking" is in your vernacular?

The time of day, the type of car you drive etc. are all very important factors.
Just a couple years ago, a 40ish attorney leaving a concert on the east side of the KC metro with her daughter was shot dead by a stray bullet from a bad area.

The U of IL Chicago campus is adjacent to some rough neighborhoods.
I remember being in one that had alarm buttons all down the hallways, in the bathroom stalls etc etc etc.

They weren't there for decoration....or because or racism....or classism.....they were there to prevent rapeism, stabism and muggism.
Interesting that you mention Chicago. I read "Gang Leader For A Day" in college. It gave an scary, but interesting insight to Chicago. Basically, Sudhir Venkatesh(who was a student at the University of Chicago) basically went into the projects for himself to see what actually took place, and then wrote about it in his book.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I didn't say I was superior. Although, there are those out there who don't need a calculator to do math, they grew up w/out them. Do you think they feel that they're a wee bit superior than those who need calculators? I bet they do. I don't blame them either.
There's a difference between being able to do math without a calculator, which is a skill, and being someone who chooses not to use technology to achieve something that requires no skill but simply more work to do beforehand.

Or someone who'd rather wind up in the ghetto than do their research beforehand altogether, as you implied earlier.

Your comparison is completely invalid.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
And then you get carjacked because you waited until you were in the neighborhood before you knew it was bad. Many neighborhoods are fine on one side of the street and nearly a ghetto on the other. Also, what if you aren't driving and get off the subway at the wrong stop?

Have you ever actually spent any time in a city?
That's pretty funny considering I actually live in not the most best area here in my city. But you go ahead & pretend you know more than any about big bad cities.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
When you're practically a cultist moonbat without a leg to stand on, you'll pull out pretty much any argument you can.
Pot meet kettle.

I'll say that I'm not arguing against this app, I find it funny though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies