Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:35 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Considering 99% of people will be using this from the safety of their damn automobiles, I think it's completely pointless.

Plus, it may hurt tourism to financial districts around the country, and Washington D.C.
I can't speak for tourism in D.C., but I can't think of any areas that are tourist attractions, and are dangerous. It seems like two opposites. If it's bad, it usually isn't a tourist attraction, or rather, that is all the more reason someone should stay away from the area. Bad areas + tourist = tourist getting used.

There are no negatives for the decent and law abiding citizen to avoid poor or rundown areas. Those businesses don't rely on these people anyway, their income is from the immediate residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:36 PM

199 posts, read 161,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Is this why so many black people choose to never leave the ghetto. They have given up trying?
No, it's common sense. I've had more issues living in mixed race/predominately non-black areas than the latter.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:38 PM

78,423 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting that you mention Chicago. I read "Gang Leader For A Day" in college. It gave an scary, but interesting insight to Chicago. Basically, Sudhir Venkatesh(who was a student at the University of Chicago) basically went into the projects for himself to see what actually took place, and then wrote about it in his book.
I mention Chicago because I've lived there and so can give actual examples and because Chicago in particular is a city whose urban planning has created neighborhoods that vary in the extreme.

Although in Chicago, especially with Cabrini gone, it's fairly hard for tourists and out of towners to wander into the bad neighborhoods.

I've heard of the book, I should pick that up sometime.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Considering 99% of people will be using this from the safety of their damn automobiles, I think it's completely pointless.

Plus, it may hurt tourism to financial districts around the country, and Washington D.C.
Good. DC is a hellhole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
LOL, yeah, I guess you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Keep making those simpleton assumptions though!

I might add, what are you doing letting your elderly mother come visit YOU if you live in such a crime infested area? Seems like you don't care much for her safety, do you? I go visit my parents, I don't make them come & visit me & I sure as heck wouldn't do it if I lived in such a horrible place as you seem to.
Dude, virtually everyone who lives in a city and isn't a multi-millionaire is within a mile of at least a few ghetto hellholes.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
"I downloaded an app for my iPhone that tells me where the bad parts of town are so I can avoid them", is the whitest thing someone could possibly say.
So taking responsibility for ones safety is white? Damn am i glad i'm white.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:46 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Good. DC is a hellhole.

Dude, virtually everyone who lives in a city and isn't a multi-millionaire is within a mile of at least a few ghetto hellholes.
What's your point? Why don't you go tell that to the poster that I was in fact responding to? And actually, not entirely true.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
What's your point? Why don't you go tell that to the poster that I was in fact responding to?
Seriously?

You just attacked that poster as if he chose to live in a bad neighborhood.

I'm telling you that if you have to live in the city, you're going to be close to "the hood". It's virtually unavoidable in any major city unless you have a ton of money.

No, it's not entirely true, just true 95% of the time.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I heard they were going to rename it. Not sure what that would be though!
"Obamaville Avoidance"

9,855 posts, read 15,207,220 times
Quote:
LOL, yeah, I guess you really have no idea what you're talking about, do you? Keep making those simpleton assumptions though!

I might add, what are you doing letting your elderly mother come visit YOU if you live in such a crime infested area? Seems like you don't care much for her safety, do you? I go visit my parents, I don't make them come & visit me & I sure as heck wouldn't do it if I lived in such a horrible place as you seem to.
I don't live in a crime infested area. I live a few blocks away from one. If you knew anything about cities on the east coast, you would know the line between a good neighborhood and a terrible one is often literally a single block.

Again - you seem to be completely oblivious to how things work in major cities, and just want to talk a big game on the internet to make yourself feel important. If that is what gets you off, go for it tiger.

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Seriously?

You just attacked that poster as if he chose to live in a bad neighborhood.

I'm telling you that if you have to live in the city, you're going to be close to "the hood". It's virtually unavoidable in any major city unless you have a ton of money.
Attacked? How so? Didn't I just post that I live in a not so desirable neighborhood in my city? Yes, I believe I did. Am I attacking myself?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies