Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

I just hope it has free updates.

The "takers" are spreading like cancer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't live in a crime infested area. I live a few blocks away from one. If you knew anything about cities on the east coast, you would know the line between a good neighborhood and a terrible one is often literally a single block.

Again - you seem to be completely oblivious to how things work in major cities, and just want to talk a big game on the internet to make yourself feel important. If that is what gets you off, go for it tiger.
I don't have to live in a big city on the east coast to understand that concept, I live in a big city in the Midwest. Same rules apply. Please enlighten me, what exactly am I being oblivious about? I didn't even post anything that could be construed as oblivious. Examples would be nice.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:54 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Attacked? How so? Didn't I just post that I live in a not so desirable neighborhood in my city? Yes, I believe I did. Am I attacking myself?
Okay, you attacked that poster for having family visit him while not living in Mayberry.

This is a waste of time. Do you have a point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I don't live in a crime infested area. I live a few blocks away from one. If you knew anything about cities on the east coast, you would know the line between a good neighborhood and a terrible one is often literally a single block.

Again - you seem to be completely oblivious to how things work in major cities, and just want to talk a big game on the internet to make yourself feel important. If that is what gets you off, go for it tiger.
I live in the midwest and it's no less like that than in any east coast city, and I've seen them all.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thand1 View Post
I'll say it again, I don't believe you're black.
I could care less. Young black males commit a tremendous amount of crimes of opportunity, like mugging folks for their cell phones. Anyone traveling in areas with high density of poor, Blacks should be on guard. Considering other Blacks are just as likely to be victims it behooves me to notice such things. Of course being Black I can better discern other traits of a likely mugger beyond race such as attire, demeanor etc.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Okay, you attacked that poster for having family visit him while not living in Mayberry.

This is a waste of time. Do you have a point?

I live in the midwest and it's no less like that than in any east coast city, and I've seen them all.
Then simply A. don't post that if you think it's a waste of time & B. don't respond. Simple. Like I said, if he lives in such a bad area, then what is he doing having his elderly mother come visit him? My parents are in their late 70's. They've been to my place once, when I first moved there. During the day on a Sunday. If I were that worried about them getting lost or breaking down where I live, there's no way I would have them come visit me. I go out to their place to visit. That's what I meant, plain & simple.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Then simply A. don't post that if you think it's a waste of time & B. don't respond. Simple. Like I said, if he lives in such a bad area, then what is he doing having his elderly mother come visit him? My parents are in their late 70's. They've been to my place once, when I first moved there. During the day on a Sunday. If I were that worried about them getting lost or breaking down where I live, there's no way I would have them come visit me. I go out to their place to visit. That's what I meant, plain & simple.
Oh, so basically an ad-hominem. I get it. Thanks for the clarification.

Although even this is crap, given that he doesn't live in a bad neighborhood, although he lives close enough that someone could get lost in it coming or going.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I could care less. Young black males commit a tremendous amount of crimes of opportunity, like mugging folks for their cell phones. Anyone traveling in areas with high density of poor, Blacks should be on guard. Considering other Blacks are just as likely to be victims it behooves me to notice such things. Of course being Black I can better discern other traits of a likely mugger beyond race such as attire, demeanor etc.
Oh please, do impart your wisdom upon us.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Oh, so basically an ad-hominem. I get it. Thanks for the clarification.
Anytime.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:09 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I mention Chicago because I've lived there and so can give actual examples and because Chicago in particular is a city whose urban planning has created neighborhoods that vary in the extreme.

Although in Chicago, especially with Cabrini gone, it's fairly hard for tourists and out of towners to wander into the bad neighborhoods.

I've heard of the book, I should pick that up sometime.
My father is from Milwaukee(I might have told you that, I don't remember) and he has some relatives from the rough parts of Chicago. He has a few stories of being in rough areas.

I have looked and Chicago and the way that it was planned. In a way, the way it was planned has a combination of Sao Paulo/Paris thing going. Sao Paulo in the way there are extremes(though not as extreme as Sao Paulo), and the way the housing projects are built in an isolated way(kind of like how many bad neighborhoods in Paris are towards the periphery).

My father has mentioned that there is a city that the tourists and the middle class dwellers see, and then there is a side of the city that the poor(and sometimes the Black population) sees.

I would recommend reading Gang Leader For A Day. I don't agree with every single thing in it, but it gave me an insight on life in the housing projects, as close to an insight I'm going to without actually going into the projects.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,068 times
In some ways this reminds me of the scene in Strange Brew when the brothers are being interrogated by the bad tech guy who is using a lie detector machine. While being interrogated Doug farts and then denies it when Bob yells at him for it. The interrogator consults the machine and announces "yup he's lying all right". Bob who is fanning his face vigorously says he doesn't need a damn machine to tell him that he was lying.

There is no hiding a rotten neighborhood, the app can prevent you from having to sniff however, and spare you the noxious results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies