Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 08:39 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,339,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It's been covered. They are allowed to still be a church. If someone would like a Bible, they can give them one. If someone requests counseling, they may provide it.

What they can not do is force people to do this to receive the food and there is no indications that was done.

If you have more information here, please post it.
This organization is not a church - never has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 08:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
This organization is not a church - never has been.
I'm not sure who made you the arbitrator of what is a church and what isn't but this is a typical reply from someone with no other logical response but feel like they have to say something anyway.

Old 09-11-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure who made you the arbitrator of what is a church and what isn't but this is a typical reply from someone with no other logical response but feel like they have to say something anyway.
I read the article and did a Google search. This group (The Christian Service Center) is identified as a social service organization, not a church. If you can find any info that verifies that it is, indeed, a church, then I will stand corrected.

Quote:
Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc legal structure is a corporation. This nonprofit is classified as a 170(b)(1)(a)(vi) organization, which indicates it receives a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or the general public. Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc is a government Instrumentality. This organization benefits human services - multipurpose and other, focusing specifically on emergency assistance (food, clothing, cash) programs.
With $784,331 in assets as of year-end 2011, Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc is slightly larger than average. The 2011 reported income for Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc was $419,711, which puts it slightly above average. Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc Nonprofit Lake City, Florida | Form 990, Details
Is this logical enough for you??

Last edited by ray1945; 09-11-2013 at 09:00 AM..

Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
I read the article and did a Google search. This group (The Christian Service Center) is identified as a social service organization, not a church. If you can find any info that verifies that it is, indeed, a church, then I will stand corrected.

Is this logical enough for you??
Church

a building used for public Christian worship.

Even at that the argument is meaningless. Call it what you want they can do what they have been doing according to the known facts.

A church, a Christian Service Center, all the same, they can give people Bible's and put up religious pictures.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Church

a building used for public Christian worship.

Even at that the argument is meaningless. Call it what you want they can do what they have been doing according to the known facts.

A church, a Christian Service Center, all the same, they can give people Bible's and put up religious pictures.
Good try, but not good enough. I am reposting the incorporation details of The Christian Service Center for convenience:
Quote:
Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc legal structure is a corporation. This nonprofit is classified as a 170(b)(1)(a)(vi) organization, which indicates it receives a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or the general public. Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc is a government Instrumentality. This organization benefits human services - multipurpose and other, focusing specifically on emergency assistance (food, clothing, cash) programs.
With $784,331 in assets as of year-end 2011, Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc is slightly larger than average. The 2011 reported income for Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc was $419,711, which puts it slightly above average. Christian Service Center of Columbia County Inc Nonprofit Lake City, Florida | Form 990, Details
This group incorporated as a 'government instrumentality' which means it is
Quote:
an organization that serves a public purpose and is closely tied to federal and/or state government, but is not a government agency. Many instrumentalities are private companies, and some are chartered directly by state or federal government. Instrumentalities are subject to a unique set of laws that shape their activities.Instrumentality Definition | Investopedia
Officially and legally The Christian Service Center is not "the same as a church" and is not covered by edicts/laws designed for churches.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Good try, but not good enough. I am reposting the incorporation details of The Christian Service Center for convenience:This group incorporated as a 'government instrumentality' which means it is Officially and legally The Christian Service Center is not "the same as a church" and is not covered by edicts/laws designed for churches.
According to the statement released by the USDA they are. It's the statement by the employee that showed up that is counter to that.

How do you get from this statement:

The USDA referred to an Executive Order providing equal protection for faith-based organizations. That order guarantees those groups the right to provide assistance without “removing or altering religious art, icons, scriptures or other symbols from these facilities.”

That they must remove religious art?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
According to the statement released by the USDA they are. It's the statement by the employee that showed up that is counter to that.

The USDA referred to an Executive Order providing equal protection for faith-based organizations. That order guarantees those groups the right to provide assistance without “removing or altering religious art, icons, scriptures or other symbols from these facilities.”

I'm not sure. It doesn't say church, it says "faith-based organization" so all this arguement about whether it is actually a church is immaterial.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm not sure. It doesn't say church, it says "faith-based organization" so all this arguement about whether it is actually a church is immaterial.
I agree. I try and avoid irrelevant arguments but on occasion I mess up.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:24 AM

I
Quote:

All info in the OP link was given to Todd Starnes, who in turn incorporated it into his blog post. I have no explanation for his sometimes contradictory commentary.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Maybe - it all depends on whether or not faith based organization can incorporate as a government instrumentality. Maybe this group incorporated incorrectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies