Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:18 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times

Advertisements

Thanks 0bama for changing the definition of part-time, thanks for destroying the foundation of the 40 hour work week that is the backbone of the American middle class.

TAMPA — Busch Gardens Tampa and the 10 other SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment attractions across the country will reduce weekly hours for part-time employees from 32 to 28, meaning the company won’t have to provide health insurance for those workers.

The changes appear to be a response to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, popularly known as “Obamacare,” which will require businesses with more than 49 employees to provide health insurance for workers who put in 30 or more hours a week. The reduction in hours will allow the company to slide under that threshold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
The pieces will fall into place. There are people that now will have insurance that did not have it before and desperately need it. I have never seen so much obstruction and energy spent on making sure people do not have health coverage. The right wing and cheap bastard empoyees should hide their ugly heads in shame.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,272,509 times
What is 0bamacare? Never heard of it.

I know that the The Patient and Affordable Care Act was passed, but don't know what is Obamacare.

and"

60% of the workers who work at theme parks are in PART TIME positions anyway. MOST of them are high school students on holiday break and/or work only weekends, (already under their parents coverage) and college students on breaks (who can be covered under their School insurance programs).

I worked at WDW for 5 months. Never got health coverage offered, since I was already covered under my parents health insurance plans.

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Back in the 30's the law was established that time over 40 hours a week was OT for those receiving an hourly wage. People working for salary were exempt from the law.

This is not the same thing as people who are paid by the hour being expected to work 40 hours. Working 9-5 means the employee is working 7-7.25 hours a day or 35-36.25 hours a week. I know some who work three 10 hour days/wk. and are considered full time.

Exempt employees , not eligible for OT, are more likely to work more than 40 hours a week. Many are temporarily challenged to shake the hourly mentality when they transition from hourly to salaried compensation.

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The pieces will fall into place. There are people that now will have insurance that did not have it before and desperately need it. I have never seen so much obstruction and energy spent on making sure people do not have health coverage. The right wing and cheap bastard empoyees should hide their ugly heads in shame.
I sure dont want to see people obstructed from getting health care, but the problem seems to be the government meddling raising costs on them.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:47 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,970 times
I'm sure the critters will be taken care. Humans.....screw them, they're on their own.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
The IRS has a 12 month lookback for hours so this won't help them at this late date.
Unless they exempted business from that part of Obamacare as well.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
More Solid Proof That Obamacare Is Working - Forbes

The right wing is gagging on the fact that this will be a legacy belonging to Obama and will be much hailed and appreciated long after he leaves office. WTH has the Republican party done for the past years that Obama has been in office for the American people. Everything with them is obstruction, deflection and self-serving.

Someone mentioned today that during the Civil War infrastructure known as the railroad was being built and the current GOP do nothings will not even back a plan to employee people and fix the crumbling infrastructure just to spite Obama and pander to his haters...Shameful!

Old 09-11-2013, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
More Solid Proof That Obamacare Is Working - Forbes

The right wing is gagging on the fact that this will be a legacy belonging to Obama and will be much ahiled and appreciated long after he leaves office. WTH has the Republican party done for the past years that Obama has been in office for the American people. Everythibng with them is obstruction, deflection and self-serving.

Someone mentioned today that during the Civil War infrastructure known as the railroad was being built and the current GOP do nothings will not even back a plan to employee people and fix the crumbling infrastructure just to spite Obama and pander to his haters...Shameful!
Less hours means less pay.
Less pay is definitely on the path of decline not the path of prosperity.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:59 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
So if I have $7.25/hr minimum wage employees, that I have working 30 hours a week, costing me about $15,000 a year, I'm supposed to pay for their $11,000 a year health care insurance now too? According to the tyrants in government, I guess so.

You know what happens, if i have to pay that kind of money to all my employees? I either close my doors, or layoff a lot of employees and scale down my business by cutting their hours so I do not have to close my doors.

What do you masterminds think a businesses with a mortgage to pay on their buildings, and signed business contracts that they are legally obligated to, are supposed to do when government increases their operating costs by 40%, just suck it up, and pull money off the money tree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies