Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:45 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
The US Constitution is a wonderful document. The exceptionalism comes from the fact that the way this country was set up is based on individual freedom, and liberty which was granted to us by our Creator. And when I say us I mean ALL of us! Government when given too much power strives to take those God given rights away. The founders and early lawmakers in this country surely had their flaws, but it's still the best system in which to govern. Government of the people, by the people, for the people. Now, if only the lawmakers would get back to adhering to the Constitution.....
Just because you consider something god-given does not mean it really is. Actually, I think including gods and creators is a big drawback. Especially as people become less and less religious. To atheists that entire god-given this and that is utter nonsense and thus null and void, and easy to ignore. Of course centuries ago people were still much more religious and superstitious than today, so they probably didn't think about that, yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I have dual citizenship due to the fact that I was born in Canada. I am very proud of my Canadian roots. However....let's be honest.

Canada ONLY got involved in WWI & WWII when it did because it is a Commonwealth nation. Germany wasn't any threat to Canada anymore than it was to the USA. They entered those wars for even a worse reason....because they are vaguely linked to the idea of a Queen.

USA and Canada have a mutual defense treaty as friendly neighbors. Canadians are more like Americans than they are Brits in almost every way.

In all honesty, Canada doesn't need to spend trillions on defense, a large navy, army, or air force because it's common knowledge the USA will protect it.

Posted with TapaTalk
The US is a very egoistic, opportunistic country, friends and partners mean nothing to it. Those are just words.
Thus Canada is right in providing for its own safety, with the US as a friend or partner or whatever, you never know...
Canada might be threatened from the very north, by Russia, maybe even China once the ice is gone.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
I have dual citizenship due to the fact that I was born in Canada. I am very proud of my Canadian roots. However....let's be honest.

Canada ONLY got involved in WWI & WWII when it did because it is a Commonwealth nation. Germany wasn't any threat to Canada anymore than it was to the USA. They entered those wars for even a worse reason....because they are vaguely linked to the idea of a Queen.

USA and Canada have a mutual defense treaty as friendly neighbors. Canadians are more like Americans than they are Brits in almost every way.

In all honesty, Canada doesn't need to spend trillions on defense, a large navy, army, or air force because it's common knowledge the USA will protect it.

Posted with TapaTalk
As the descendent of an entire family full of WW1 and WW2 vets I can tell you that you are incorrect. Canadians by and large hated fascism. Just the number of Canadians who fought against it in the Spanish civil war is telling. 1200 fought and it was against the law to do so.

I disagree that Canadians are more like Americans than Europeans. We are far more like Europeans in the most critical areas of our culture. Respect for our institutions. Law abiding, non violent in comparison to Americans, civic minded, equality minded, tolerant of differences, peaceful and contented.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Is America an "exceptional" country? By definition, yes. We are a great country with a great history.

To use that as a reason to justify horrible foreign policy is asinine, though.
Trust me I don't agree with our foreign policy in the constant meddling in the affairs of other nations. We've been warned in the past by the likes of Eisenhower, Jefferson and Washington, and recently by the likes of Ron Paul, and we still haven't learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Just because you consider something god-given does not mean it really is. Actually, I think including gods and creators is a big drawback. Especially as people become less and less religious. To atheists that entire god-given this and that is utter nonsense and thus null and void, and easy to ignore. Of course centuries ago people were still much more religious and superstitious than today, so they probably didn't think about that, yet.

Don't take this as trying to force my beliefs on you, but, while I am not a holy rolling bible thumper by any means, I do have faith. And IMO removing God from every aspect of our life is going down a dangerous path. Not to mention you're replacing God with government, which is also bad, because human nature is flawed. Because it is flawed, man has a tendency to be corrupted and become blinded by greed and lust for power.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:01 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
As the descendent of an entire family full of WW1 and WW2 vets I can tell you that you are incorrect. Canadians by and large hated fascism. Just the number of Canadians who fought against it in the Spanish civil war is telling. 1200 fought and it was against the law to do so.

I disagree that Canadians are more like Americans than Europeans. We are far more like Europeans in the most critical areas of our culture. Respect for our institutions. Law abiding, non violent in comparison to Americans, civic minded, equality minded, tolerant of differences, peaceful and contented.
Lol......my entire family are still living in Canada. I doubt I have the wrong impression simply because I moved 4 hours South.

All the males in my family served in WWI & WWII also. No one disputes that had Canada not been a part of the Commonwealth, there was no other reason to get involved the moment (British) Parliament declared war.

And it's rather ironic that you jump on the USA for being war mongers then blame them for not getting involved in a war until they were directly attacked.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
The Newsroom - America is not the greatest country in the world anymore...(Restricted language)

Old 09-13-2013, 10:21 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,580,750 times
Quote:
Lol......

And it's rather ironic that you jump on the USA for being war mongers then blame them for not getting involved in a war until they were directly attacked.

Posted with TapaTalk
I don't jump on them for being "War mongers". I jump on them for a lack of good policy. I jump on them for not knowing where their true interests lay. I jump on them for not seeming to know who to fight, when and where. They act like "Mad dogs".

Old 09-13-2013, 10:25 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Do they claim to stand on some moral high ground as a representative of the party of family values and a protector of the sanctity of marriage?
No, but neither does Limbaugh.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:27 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
I don't jump on them for being "War mongers". I jump on them for a lack of good policy. I jump on them for not knowing where their true interests lay. I jump on them for not seeming to know who to fight, when and where. They act like "Mad dogs".
Not really - which is evident by the fact that the polls show a large majority of both liberals and conservatives oppose bombing Syria.

Separate the people from goofy politicians.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,324,646 times
Quote:
How in the world someone could be so utterly incorrect about history is just amazing.

I guess that you never heard of the DEW line across the top of Canada!!! just sooooo stupid.

Was Canada freeloading in the only two wars that really counted, WW1 and WW2. It seems to me to be an historical fact that Canada was in the thick of things from the get go while the USA sat back and did nothing. In WW2 the USA only got involved because it was attacked and in WW1 the USA got in at the very end.

Although the relations between our countries is good right now, the biggest threat we have ever had to defend ourselves from is YOU.
I was referring to your pal, Trudeau.

Trudeau removed nuclear weapons from Canadian soil, formally recognized the People's Republic of China, established a personal friendship with Castro, and decreased the number of Canadian troops stationed at NATO bases in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies