Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 09:11 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Those are mostly made up stories by right wing rags. I don't believe any of them.
I had no intention of posting any links but thanks to those who did. As to this...wow. lmao. Can anyone really be this naive? Let me ask you something, have you , or someone close to you, ever been attacked? I'm thinking not. Such an experience changes ones perspective. It's an eye opener, in mild terms. It can, certainly, dim ones view of humans.

Even when an attack is successfully fought off, its not a victory. But if you're still alive, it helps. A firearm ups your odds. This is why I'm a believer. Someone close, very close, to be used a knife to fight off her attacker. Neutralize might be a better word. As time goes on, I wish someone had shot him dead long before he targeted her. He certainly needed it.

With mangy predators, like him, loose on our streets, being armed seems prerequisite. To me, anyway. I won't take any chances. If that makes me a nut, in the view of some, I sure can't explain how little I care. Tbe proliferation of these vermin has nothing to do with firearms owners or lack of laws. Rather, leftist, touchy feely, policies, that preach "enlightenment" and "understanding" are the culprits. Me, I'm not buying. Feral predators cannot be reasoned with or made to show mercy. They must be put down. The only thing they understand is fear. I would rather have them afraid of me, than the other way around.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:49 AM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Those are mostly made up stories by right wing rags. I don't believe any of them.
Perhaps you would believe the NY Times: http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...-gun-use/?_r=0

The linked article references a DOJ study that says that over a 5 year period there were 338,700 defensive uses of firearms, which is an average of about 68,000 times per year. They make a big deal of how this is much lower than the 2.5M times a year quoted by some.

Regardless, 68,000 is way more than the 8,000 murders per year that involve a firearm.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:36 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I had no intention of posting any links but thanks to those who did. As to this...wow. lmao. Can anyone really be this naive? Let me ask you something, have you , or someone close to you, ever been attacked? I'm thinking not. Such an experience changes ones perspective. It's an eye opener, in mild terms. It can, certainly, dim ones view of humans.

Even when an attack is successfully fought off, its not a victory. But if you're still alive, it helps. A firearm ups your odds. This is why I'm a believer. Someone close, very close, to be used a knife to fight off her attacker. Neutralize might be a better word. As time goes on, I wish someone had shot him dead long before he targeted her. He certainly needed it.

With mangy predators, like him, loose on our streets, being armed seems prerequisite. To me, anyway. I won't take any chances. If that makes me a nut, in the view of some, I sure can't explain how little I care. Tbe proliferation of these vermin has nothing to do with firearms owners or lack of laws. Rather, leftist, touchy feely, policies, that preach "enlightenment" and "understanding" are the culprits. Me, I'm not buying. Feral predators cannot be reasoned with or made to show mercy. They must be put down. The only thing they understand is fear. I would rather have them afraid of me, than the other way around.
Real naivete is going through life thinking that a gun is your best option for coping in a world, parts of which are awash in "mangy predators". Fact is anyone who is faced with more than a minimal threat on a daily - or even a monthly basis has made some poor decisions in life or has, for whatever personal reasons, chosen to be an armored car driver/guard or some such other high risk occupation.

Real naivete is to not know where the "mangy predators" concentrate or worse, to know and still not avoid those areas - completely. It is very easy to do.

Fact is average Americans of average or better means have no need whatsoever for a gun. And the smartest among that group understand fully that adding a gun to their household inventory would provide zero benefit while dramatically increasing the threat to their own and their family's personal safety. Bad things have a way of happening when guns are available that wouldn't get past the shouting stage if they weren't.

Real naivete is also believing absurdly exaggerated stats that are pure gun-lobby propaganda.

But the ultimate in naivete is to be so hopelessly indoctrinated that you honestly believe there is more good in guns than bad. It truly boggles the mind.

My comments above are not directed as much specifically to you as they are to the more fanatical and most resistant to reason in the pro-gun group. Your posts are among the most reasonable and politely worded that come from that side. That is appreciated and the only reason I respond to some of them.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:43 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Real naivete is going through life thinking that a gun is your best option for coping in a world, parts of which are awash in "mangy predators". Fact is anyone who is faced with more than a minimal threat on a daily - or even a monthly basis has made some poor decisions in life or has, for whatever personal reasons, chosen to be an armored car driver/guard or some such other high risk occupation. .
Thousands of people will disagree with you....

NRA-ILA | Armed Citizen

Quote:
Real naivete is to not know where the "mangy predators" concentrate or worse, to know and still not avoid those areas - completely. It is very easy to do..
Unless they come to you, in your house, see link above.

Quote:
Fact is average Americans of average or better means have no need whatsoever for a gun. And the smartest among that group understand fully that adding a gun to their household inventory would provide zero benefit while dramatically increasing the threat to their own and their family's personal safety. Bad things have a way of happening when guns are available that wouldn't get past the shouting stage if they weren't...
Fact? Plesase provide a link to backup your claims above....

Quote:
Real naivete is also believing absurdly exaggerated stats that are pure gun-lobby propaganda....
Provide a link to back up what you say....

Quote:
But the ultimate in naivete is to be so hopelessly indoctrinated that you honestly believe there is more good in guns than bad. It truly boggles the mind....
My guns have never killed a single thing except paper, as many gun owners will attest to.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:44 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Real naivete is going through life thinking that a gun is your best option for coping in a world, parts of which are awash in "mangy predators". Fact is anyone who is faced with more than a minimal threat on a daily - or even a monthly basis has made some poor decisions in life or has, for whatever personal reasons, chosen to be an armored car driver/guard or some such other high risk occupation.

Real naivete is to not know where the "mangy predators" concentrate or worse, to know and still not avoid those areas - completely. It is very easy to do.

Fact is average Americans of average or better means have no need whatsoever for a gun. And the smartest among that group understand fully that adding a gun to their household inventory would provide zero benefit while dramatically increasing the threat to their own and their family's personal safety. Bad things have a way of happening when guns are available that wouldn't get past the shouting stage if they weren't.

Real naivete is also believing absurdly exaggerated stats that are pure gun-lobby propaganda.

But the ultimate in naivete is to be so hopelessly indoctrinated that you honestly believe there is more good in guns than bad. It truly boggles the mind.

My comments above are not directed as much specifically to you as they are to the more fanatical and most resistant to reason in the pro-gun group. Your posts are among the most reasonable and politely worded that come from that side. That is appreciated and the only reason I respond to some of them.
Right, so this well off elderly man did not need a gun to protect himself?
Updated: Monte Sereno Man Killed in Home Invasion - Police & Fire - Los Gatos, CA Patch

Self defense is everyone's right, no matter how little/much money that person has. It is also their choice to own a gun, which are used more in defense of life than used to take life. If you do not want a gun in your home, that is your choice, stop trying to make that choice for others.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

46,276 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Gun Violence | National Institute of Justice

Fact Sheet: Illegal gun trafficking arms criminals & youth « Gun Victims Action Council

Gun Control - Just Facts

Some reading for the gun haters....

Old 09-25-2013, 01:00 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,221,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

Many ant gun nuts will become a gun advocate the 2 or 3 seconds before they die. It is then they will realize that they could have saved themselves and family

Old 09-25-2013, 01:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Right, so this well off elderly man did not need a gun to protect himself?
Updated: Monte Sereno Man Killed in Home Invasion - Police & Fire - Los Gatos, CA Patch

Self defense is everyone's right, no matter how little/much money that person has. It is also their choice to own a gun, which are used more in defense of life than used to take life. If you do not want a gun in your home, that is your choice, stop trying to make that choice for others.
To you I say stop promoting your dangerous obsession with stories that mislead as though they are random acts. Google is your friend, ya know.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:21 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
To you I say stop promoting your dangerous obsession with stories that mislead as though they are random acts. Google is your friend, ya know.
You don't know what your talking about.

The man was killed during a home invasion. The perp was recently tried and found guilty for the murder. If the man had a gun he could have protected himself.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:51 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:

Thanks for not making it personal. That's where things tend to go wrong, all to often. Anyway, predators are everywhere. Not just selected areas. My lady was attacked in the parking area of the hospital, where she works. In a quite"good" area. That worked out for her, as she needed assistance of medical personnel. So did her attacker. Any longer distance from medical care would have seen him bleed to death. Mores the pity it was so close. Fortunate for her, of course. She required sedation to calm her down. Had he died, I would have felt nothing.

I do not feel a gun is the solution for all human problems, but I carry one. I expect the unexpected, no matter the quality of the area I'm in. I realize that I do not present so tempting a target as a 100 pound lady, just gettin off a 12 hour graveyard shift, but I am ready and able to fight, with more than just my gun.

My sweetheart does not like guns. They intimidate her. Thus, I trained her with other tools. Point being, anything can happen, anywhere, anytime. It's not naive to be prepared. If that means being armed, so be it. I would rather have it and not need it than the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies