Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 05:07 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,059 times

Advertisements

I am one quarter black, growing up my mother was ashamed of the one quarter black of me, which you could not see as I looked white but I had ""black"" hair dark & curly 3B with 3C here and there.

After Obama won, I notice he was called the black President.

When I go to online forums, I hear you can't be blacvk unless you have two black parents.

In my teens I decided I was black but found I was not embraced as being black. There was a ballet program that offered free lessons for black people but I had to pay as I was not considered black./

What is a black person in your opinion?

PS: I was the product of an affair. When I finally met my real dad, he had Asian eyes meaning I was i/8 black, do you think I should of gotten free ballet lessons?

Old 09-18-2013, 06:59 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,082,768 times
Why can't you just be a person?

Seriously though, it seems like people will consider themselves whatever depending on the situation. Oh, it's preference for minorities? I'm 1/16 Mexican.

I mean, look at the Zimmerman trial, he was considered white.

Old 09-19-2013, 12:42 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,759,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
I am one quarter black, growing up my mother was ashamed of the one quarter black of me, which you could not see as I looked white but I had ""black"" hair dark & curly 3B with 3C here and there.

When I go to online forums, I hear you can't be blacvk unless you have two black parents.

In my teens I decided I was black but found I was not embraced as being black. There was a ballet program that offered free lessons for black people but I had to pay as I was not considered black./

PS: I was the product of an affair. When I finally met my real dad, he had Asian eyes meaning I was i/8 black, do you think I should of gotten free ballet lessons?
Just be yourself and stop worrying about how other view you. You're biracial, and you should be worried about being embraced for being yourself rather than a specific race. If the black people that you're around can't except that, then find new friends that do.

Old 09-19-2013, 06:58 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,443,357 times
If a person's blood is mixed and a person needs to know what they are to be called, not sure how it could be made official. Tiger Woods is black, white and Asian, but, is usually referred to as black. In many areas of the US, if a person is part black, they are black, although it seems to be changing and that's a good thing.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM

350 posts, read 709,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post

How come threads like this don't get zapped on this forum?

Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
It basically comes down to what people see,if you look black then you'll be labeled as black or Latino, Hispanic or Arabian or Chinese.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:55 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,415 times
These days, you declare yourself to be whatever you want. Elizabeth Warren declared she was a Native American because her grandfather had high cheekbones (or something like that). The sky is the limit now. Heck, if you are male, you can just declare you are female (or vice versa). That is all there is to it. You don't even have to be consistent. When you wake in the morning, just be the race and gender that hits your mood for the day.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM

457 posts, read 645,919 times
No. You can be treated like Black even if both your parents were Native American and you just have DARK SKIN. I'm in Pueblo and Navajo country and while the Navajo are darker than I am, the Pueblo and the Apache are similar in shade of brown to me, and they get treated like Native Americans while I, Choctaw, on the other hand, get treated like "black." And none of us actually ARE. I like blending in with the Navajo because, bottom line, THEY'RE not Black either.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:16 AM

1,006 posts, read 2,215,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
How come threads like this don't get zapped on this forum?

Why? Its a great question. I'm sure the OP is being lighthearted with the ballet comment, but it is a real issue. For example, when applying for a business loan would she claim black and potentially get approved as part of a minority program, and disapproved through a non minority program? What about on the census, if any part Hispanic, should one claim Hispanic or white? I don't think the OP is "worried" about it, and it doesn't sound like its all consuming. Its just a curiosity.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:17 AM

457 posts, read 645,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It basically comes down to what people see,if you look black then you'll be labeled as black or Latino, Hispanic or Arabian or Chinese.
No, if people think you look Black, you'd have to PROVE you were Latino before you'd be labelled Latino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies