Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 06:49 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
The US Government, it its present form, NO.

I'm not sure why the OP is giving Obama credit for Iran's turn-around on nuclear weapons. If in fact the new president of Iran wants to do away with nuclear weapons, then part of the credit should be given to the economic sanctions that were imposed on Iran, one of which was imposed in 2006, when Obama wasn't even anywhere near the White House, after then Iranian president Ahmadinijad wanted to do the uranium enrichment, an important component of nuclear weapons, and I'm sure many of us remember that he wanted to "Wipe Israel off the map" and many Iranians were cheering for that. Rouhani only wanted to end the economic sanctions that were imposed on Iran, and of course Rouhani will say anything to an NBC reporter to end those sanctions; we have to remember that what he promises and what he delivers are completely two separate things. So we have to ask ourselves, can we trust him? I wouldn't, at least not now.
Given the harm this nation has done to to the Iranian people do you think it is possible for Iranians to trust the United States? They shouldn't at least not yet. Until we begin to deal with the ME with an unbiased approach they have no reason to trust us.
I love my country, but I have to be honest we have done a great deal of harm to a good many people. All in the name of national security..

Old 09-23-2013, 07:31 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Not so. That was mostly due to the Israel-Egypt peace agreements, one of the most important and lasting improvements of the ME.

Camp David Accords - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oh, don't get me wrong...Carter 100% deserved a peace prize for that.

However, they waited for decades until giving him one and when they gave it to him they mentioned his years of peace actions and especially noted the NK nuclear situation and also added that the award should be interpreted as a slam of Bush's Iraq policy.

A jab at Carter over his NK disarmament is deserved IMO, it's a pretty big failure.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:34 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
They should be able to defend themselves especially if our government is overthere trying or even looking to overthrow their government like it did in the 1950's by hiring mercenaries/ terrorist to attack people and turn the country back on the government.

The US is lucky IRAN does not retaliate for what our country did to them in the 80's
Oh, they have been.....we've been doing crap to each other on the down-low for decades.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, don't get me wrong...Carter 100% deserved a peace prize for that.

However, they waited for decades until giving him one and when they gave it to him they mentioned his years of peace actions and especially noted the NK nuclear situation and also added that the award should be interpreted as a slam of Bush's Iraq policy.

A jab at Carter over his NK disarmament is deserved IMO, it's a pretty big failure.
IMO the almost unrealistic changes like with NK giving up their nukes are too far out to slam anyone. You give credit to the once in a lifetime achievements like with Israel-Egypt, like the fall of the Berlin Wall, and now at least with a less remote Iranian possibility. But Iran like NK is most likely incorrigible. And one can only realistically hope to slow and contain.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
When President Obama took office, Iran was determined to develop nuclear weapons, resistant to the West, and utterly defiant. Republicans under Bush had been predictably ineffective, even detrimental, by their actions in that region.

Enter President Obama. Intelligent, resolute, dignified, firm, effective. He let Iran know in no uncertain terms where the US stood and sought conformance. He established dialogue, exercising a smarter foreign policy than his hapless predecessor. The result? New President sounds like he was listening.

Again, kudos to President Obama. Republicans wrong yet again. Without submerging this country into war, the President caused CHANGE in Iran.

Iran's president Rouhani: We will never develop nuclear weapons - World News

Bleating Sheep - YouTube

Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Iran is fickle.

Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls lefties.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:21 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
And you believe this? Really?
The OP is so delusional, he thinks Obama walks on water.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times
This Lexus guy has crossed the threshold of brainwashed, into down right comical.

In fact, I say he's troll level: "Expert"

***I Tip my hat to Lexus; pray he's trolling and not actually as stupid as he sounds

Old 09-23-2013, 08:38 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Again, kudos to President Obama. Republicans wrong yet again. Without submerging this country into war, the President caused CHANGE in Iran.

What exactly has changed here, this is the same thing they have been saying for years. At no point has Iran publicly acknowledged seeking to use nuclear technology for weapons.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:41 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
When President Obama took office, Iran was determined to develop nuclear weapons, resistant to the West, and utterly defiant. Republicans under Bush had been predictably ineffective, even detrimental, by their actions in that region.

Enter President Obama. Intelligent, resolute, dignified, firm, effective. He let Iran know in no uncertain terms where the US stood and sought conformance. He established dialogue, exercising a smarter foreign policy than his hapless predecessor. The result? New President sounds like he was listening.

Would you tell us which drugs your on? We might like some of that on weekends of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies