Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 10:11 AM

2,075 posts, read 4,458,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
You haven't been paying attention then. I've seen gun rights advocates offer plenty of ideas to help keep people safe from these atrocities. For a short list, I've seen:

Enforcement of existing laws (which isn't happening right now) - over generalization: Which laws are not being enforced
Increased mandatory penalties for anyone who commits a crime with a firearm. While at the same time they are ok with the fact that any felon (including violent, gun criminals) can walk into a gun show in many states and walk out with a gun through private sale that requires no background check
The return of the ability for family members to force an individual to receive treatment for psychological problems. - where's the call from the right for increased taxes to fund state mental institutions?
An end to or at least a serious revision of the idiotic War on Drugs which fuels the violence. - Not a partisan position at all, and I've seen very few on the right vocally support this
An end to the fallacy which is the Gun Free Zones Act. Exactly, this is their ultimate position... as I said "better hope you shot first... and it's accurate... and it doesn't hit an unintended target... and it is justified"
See above in red
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM

11,183 posts, read 10,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
See above in red
As I said, you may not agree with the proposals from gun rights advocates, just like gun rights advocates don't agree with the proposals set forth by the anti-gun crowd. However, that doesn't mean they haven't been proposing anything.

Quote:
Enforcement of existing laws (which isn't happening right now) - over generalization: Which laws are not being enforced
For starters, the failure to prosecute people who lie on the 4473 form. There are many others, as is shown by the Navy Yard shooter who should have been convicted of at least one gun crime, and probably two, and would have been unable to get clearance had that happened.

Increased mandatory penalties for anyone who commits a crime with a firearm. While at the same time they are ok with the fact that any felon (including violent, gun criminals) can walk into a gun show in many states and walk out with a gun through private sale that requires no background check
No, gun rights advocates aren't okay with it. They simply realize that there is no way to enforce background checks on private sales without some form of national registry which would be a violation of several constitutionally protected rights.

The return of the ability for family members to force an individual to receive treatment for psychological problems. - where's the call from the right for increased taxes to fund state mental institutions?
Once again, you make the mistaken assumption that everyone who supports the 2nd Amendment is on the "right" of the political aisle.

An end to or at least a serious revision of the idiotic War on Drugs which fuels the violence. - Not a partisan position at all, and I've seen very few on the right vocally support this
None of this should be a partisan issue, and as I said before you are confusing people who support the 2nd Amendment with people on the "right" side of the aisle. Fallacious argument.

An end to the fallacy which is the Gun Free Zones Act. Exactly, this is their ultimate position... as I said "better hope you shot first... and it's accurate... and it doesn't hit an unintended target... and it is justified"
Actually, the position is that the Gun Free Zones Act has done nothing to stop mass shootings. If you do a bit of research, you'll see exactly how much of a failure it is. As for me, I've run the numbers, posted them in several other threads where the subject came up, and I'm tired of arguing about it with people who believe that we must infringe on basic rights of law-abiding citizens in order to continue a failed policy which does nothing to protect anyone other than the criminals and mentally insane who use our schools as hunting preserves.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 AM

46,426 posts, read 27,283,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Gotta love the right wing.

Problem: Mentally unstable mam with violent criminal history commits mass shooting.

Solution: Flood society with more guns.
Gotta love the left wing.

Promote left wing lies that cannot be backed up, but if said enough, (see abouve quote) it has to be true...

So, I'll wait for some link to say that we shuold flood society with more guns...

It should be easy, right...

Old 09-19-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
No, obviously I wouldn't want to see kids raped and killed.

But I would like to see some filtering that would make it more difficult for people with obvious mental issues to obtain guns. Do you have an objection to that?

Look, I'm not for banning guns and I readily admit that it's not possible to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and crazies 100% of the time. I do believe that more needs to be done to limit access to guns by people who have severe mental issues. Don't you?

Of course, but to show a link that talks about road rage does not apply what you are attempting to appy to this discussion, does it? Or are you saying that everyone who has road rage should not own a gun?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The occasional massacre is good for business.
ANd promoted by the left...

Old 09-19-2013, 11:13 AM

8,523 posts, read 7,515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Or are you saying that everyone who has road rage should not own a gun?
Are you saying that everyone who has road rage should own a gun?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Are you saying that everyone who has road rage should own a gun?
LOL....

You provided a clip that talked about 2 people who had road rage and ended up killing themsleves, because of raod rage.

It's understandbale that you are not able to have a convesation with the stuff you brought to the table, so I guess this conversation is over....

Old 09-19-2013, 11:21 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,188,020 times
Quote:
ANd promoted by the left...
The left promotes massacres? That's a new one. Do tell.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The left promotes massacres? That's a new one. Do tell.
See quote below:

Quote:
The occasional massacre is good for business.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:29 AM

47,070 posts, read 26,188,020 times
Quote:
See quote below:
You do realize you're making no sense at all, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies