Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 06:05 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,755,213 times

Advertisements

I think slavery was bad but the blacks living in America now are better off than the blacks in Africa.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:18 PM

1,850 posts, read 3,019,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
I think slavery was bad but the blacks living in America now are better off than the blacks in Africa.

Their is no comparison to the blacks in Africa and those in America.

Here's what I find strange, there are more black billionaires in Africa than America.

Old 09-21-2013, 06:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,177,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
Their is no comparison to the blacks in Africa and those in America.

Here's what I find strange, there are more black billionaires in Africa than America.
Are you going to answer the questions posted about the source and context of your original quote any time soon?

And I don't find it strange that there are more black billionaires in Africa than America. Why is that strange? The US is 11 or 12 percent black immigrants. Africa is close to 100 percent black Africans. Apart from the disconnect between that, and your statement that "Their [sic] is no comparison to the blacks in Africa and those in America" I'm not sure why you would find that "strange." It's basic statistics, is it not?

Old 09-21-2013, 06:37 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,457,751 times
Quote:
I guess I need the perspective of some of you SMART CD forum members.

I just cannot come up with any reason why slavery was good for southern society.

Denying an adult person their liberty, self direction, their self respect and the right to determine the use of their own bodies is slavery. Slaves were livestock, to be worked and bred at the direction of another. Slaves were forced to endure physical, emotional and sexual abuse without hope of relief because the society around them determined that their owners had ultimate authority over them.

How was this good for anyone?

Let's debate this, all sides are welcome. Please be civil and logical with your response.
Since I am a SMART CD forum member, who the Hell is "SHE?"

Old 09-21-2013, 11:26 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,217,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Or Paula Deen, or whoever that dreadful woman is?
Sarah Palin? Ann Coulter?

Old 09-22-2013, 12:02 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,905,834 times
Quote:
I guess I need the perspective of some of you SMART CD forum members.

I just cannot come up with any reason why slavery was good for southern society.

Denying an adult person their liberty, self direction, their self respect and the right to determine the use of their own bodies is slavery. Slaves were livestock, to be worked and bred at the direction of another. Slaves were forced to endure physical, emotional and sexual abuse without hope of relief because the society around them determined that their owners had ultimate authority over them.

How was this good for anyone?

Let's debate this, all sides are welcome. Please be civil and logical with your response.
It benefitted the wealthy and hurt the working stiff.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:03 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,557,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
First off, it sounds like another person with the assumption that virtually everyone in the south owned slaves. That's far from the truth. Only the wealthy had slaves. You might as well say the entire east coast of the USA benefitted from slavery. Also, considering how the Union Army and USA treated the south during and after the Civil War then slavery was a very expensive lesson. Union Army went through many areas stealing supplies (usually families' crops, livestock, salt, flour, etc) leaving them hungry. They also raped the women (including the slaves) and burned buildings including homes and schools. Many Confederate soldiers were executed after the Civil War was over, even those who had not continued the fight and just wanted to go home. Some areas took several decades to recover from what the Union Army did. In Louisiana, they even made the French language illegal in the new state constitution and brought in teachers to force the school children to speak only English, even if it means beating them with paddles, belts, fist, or bullwhips. At that time, French was the only language they knew.
You conveniently left out how the terrorist group the Ku Klux Klan was formed by former slave owners (and other white men who were not) to make certain that the newly freed slaves knew their "place".

Old 09-22-2013, 12:11 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,763,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I would like to know the context of the statement as well. However, I will state that slavery was good for one group of Southerners pre-Civil War....the slave owners. Slave labor built the foundations of the South and many slave owners were able to increase their wealth (in number of slaveholdings) by raping and impregnating their female slaves.
slavery was a great thing for the blacks. they were lucky enough to get to come here from a cesspool like africa.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,805,451 times
Slavery was good for some Southerners because it provided them with very easy money and because it might have very well stimulated the Southern economy. Of course, this does not justify slavery by any means.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:17 AM

37,963 posts, read 17,905,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
slavery was a great thing for the blacks. they were lucky enough to get to come here from a cesspool like africa.
Oh sure who doesn't like an all expenses paid trip where you have a bad survival rate on the "cruise" over and you get to see your family torn apart. I hope you are lucky enough to experience something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies