Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 12:39 PM

38,014 posts, read 22,198,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
.....good for the former First Couple.

Former President George H.W. Bush Is Witness at Same-sex Wedding

Hopefully this will help pave the way for other conservatives to be more accepting and open-minded and that we will soon see more states legalizing same sex marriage.
You are agreeing with conservatives if you believe gay marriage should be decided by the states, and not forced upon an unwilling people by the courts or the federal government.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:43 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,833,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You are agreeing with conservatives if you believe gay marriage should be decided by the states, and not forced upon an unwilling people by the courts or the federal government.
I'm no conservative, but the idea that same-sex marriage as a legal issue should be magically exempt from the well-established American concept of judicial review is ... um ... interesting.

If you want to call that strange and illogical exception to American jurisprudence 'conservative', have at it. But bear in mind that all you're doing is redefining 'conservative' to mean 'what the majority of Republicans happen want right now'.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:45 PM

33,582 posts, read 18,199,670 times
President Bush made a grave error in endorsing same sex marriage. The republican party is now indistinquishable from the left . I have noticed that lately. The democratic party is not the same either.. they are so far left , they no longer stand up for the working American. They rather stand for the illegals and gays and not for the rights of the working American. The Republican party has been pulled by the far left to the point they have become weak. This country is being destroyed from the inside out . When satan wins , the country and its relationship with its God is destroyed.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:48 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,371,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
This is true.

I've even come to have a smidgen of respect for Bush Junior recently because of the way he's conducted himself as a civilian.

Just a smidgen, though.........lol

Refreshing to see someone else that can separate the person from the politics. I am not supportive of our current President's agenda, but I don't bear any animosity towards him on a personal level. I am sure President Obama is a decent person, a good husband, a loving father, etc.

It would be great if people could stop lumping all members of a collective ideology under a single label as well. I am fiscally conservative, but moderate on social issue. While I identify as conservative, I harbor no opposition to same sex marriage. Just like I know many Democrats that identify as liberals, but are staunch fiscal conservatives.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:53 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,372,815 times
Since the gays have recognition from the federal gvt I am betting their push on the states will fade. After all they have their social security survivors benis and other federal gvt rights. What do they need from the states? That is what it was all about anyways, and there is more important issues then gay rights so thus I do not give a rats A$$. Plus I have never liked or voted for a Bush in my life and never will.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:27 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,267,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The poor man probably doesn't know where he is at and is being used for nefarious purposes. The gay agenda will use anyone for their sick goals.
I doubt that Barbara would allow her husband to be "used"......for any reason, "nefarious" or otherwise. lol

Oh, and by the way, marriage equality is NOT a "sick goal."

Old 09-26-2013, 02:39 PM

47,000 posts, read 26,056,438 times
Good on him.

Looking forward to the day when it's not news, but - good on him, even so.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
President Bush made a grave error in endorsing same sex marriage. The republican party is now indistinquishable from the left . I have noticed that lately. The democratic party is not the same either.. they are so far left , they no longer stand up for the working American. They rather stand for the illegals and gays and not for the rights of the working American. The Republican party has been pulled by the far left to the point they have become weak. This country is being destroyed from the inside out . When satan wins , the country and its relationship with its God is destroyed.
You know what? I'm an American citizen, and a taxpayer. I deserve equal protection under the law. Don't like it? Too bad.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:50 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,231,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
Since the gays have recognition from the federal gvt I am betting their push on the states will fade. After all they have their social security survivors benis and other federal gvt rights. What do they need from the states? That is what it was all about anyways, and there is more important issues then gay rights so thus I do not give a rats A$$. Plus I have never liked or voted for a Bush in my life and never will.
Actually social security benefits are determined by place of residence. So, if a same sex couple is legally married, but living in a state where it isn't recognized, they currently do not have access to SS benefits.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:56 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,539,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I don't care if gays get married and I'm a proud right-winger. Please stop saying things like this. If gays get married, it's very unlikely that it will affect our taxes, our ability to conceal carry, our ability to worship (assuming that churches that are opposed to gay marriage are not be forced to marry gays), and our ability to secure the border and stop helping illegal aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies