Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I won't touch on my particular views on ObamaCare, but I would like to know if ObamaCare or the ACA will insure those who work for the federal government? If they aren't enrolled them wouldn't it be genius for the federal government to enroll all government employees including the President and Congress onto the program since Obama said the more people enrolled the less it would cost? That would be a few million enrolled fairly quick.
The Law says they have to buy their insurance on the exchanges (I think this is just for Capitol Hill employees). The Law does not give them any special waivers or subsidies.

Obama got the OPM (office of Personnel Management) to write a 'special rule' that gives these employees a Taxpayer paid for subsidy for their insurance regardless of their income. .... I believe it's 73%. I also think they are using a special exchange built just for them, so they get Cadillac health care.

This is what the Unions are demanding - they think that if the Capitol Hill staff get this, they should get it also. This "waiver/subsidy" is very controversial - many Republicans on the Hill want it removed and want to include that in the CR that they are working on now.

If you agree that the Legislatures, their staff and the Federal Employees that "we the people" fund with our Tax Dollars should be subject to the same Laws and Rules that they force us to be a part of .....

Then Call, Write, Email your Senator and CongressCritter. If it's good enough for us, it's certainly good enough for them. Their excuse for avoiding the Law they are forcing on us is that it's too "hard" and they would lose good employees if they were forced to comply like the rest of us are forced to comply.

That's a very poor and very telling excuse. It's an out-right admission that this Law is horrible and they don't want any part of it. Remember that each and every time that Obama and his minions get us and champion what they refuse to accept for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:21 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Obama got the OPM (office of Personnel Management) to write a 'special rule' that gives these employees a Taxpayer paid for subsidy for their insurance regardless of their income. ....I believe it's 73%.
There's nothing special about this. Health insurance was part of the benefits of working as a Congressional staffer. I know it's popular to hate on Congress and all things connected to it, but with them being the only people forced off their existing insurance by law, it is hardly fair to change the conditions of their employment without compensation. Besides, Congressional staffers aren't rolling in it - the rank and file are in the $30-60K/yr range.

Just like Trader Joe's offered their part-time workers a stipend to use on the exchanges, rather than offer them a dedicated plan.

Quote:
I also think they are using a special exchange built just for them, so they get Cadillac health care.
I have followed this debate quite closely, and that is the first I hear of that, so - do you have a cite?

Old 09-27-2013, 06:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
I understand what you're saying perfectly, the government doesn't seem to care about how generous a subsidy is therefore giving someone who makes as much as Obama his own program would seem logical especially since they said they need plenty enrolled to drive down the cost; you understand what I'm saying? I mean, if it cost more to enroll them in ObamaCare to reduce the cost of health insurance on others, wouldn't that be what the exact purpose of the program is?
It's my understanding that members of Congress are required to go the Exchange.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,448,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That makes no sense though. Besides, my understanding is that the program is only for people that are without affordable employer health insurance plans. I have Federal Blue Cross/Blue Shield (though my wife), and it's quite affordable.

I'm assuming that the government pays the employer portion of the employee's health insurance already, so why have them apply for coverage under the ACA? I don't see where the government would save money in that case because they'd then have to provide a subsidy that's pretty generous.
That's right. Anyone who has employer-provided health insurance (like federal employees), and that employer-provided health insurance program is continuing (and the Federal Employees Health Benefits program is continuing), and that employer-provided health insurance program complies with ACA requirements (as do the plans offered through the FEHB), does not need to seek health insurance coverage on the state exchanges - they are covered already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's nothing special about this. Health insurance was part of the benefits of working as a Congressional staffer. I know it's popular to hate on Congress and all things connected to it, but with them being the only people forced off their existing insurance by law, it is hardly fair to change the conditions of their employment without compensation. Besides, Congressional staffers aren't rolling in it - the rank and file are in the $30-60K/yr range.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
It's my understanding that members of Congress are required to go the Exchange.
Correct. In fact, Members of Congress and some of their staff (the ones on Capitol Hill) make up the only group specifically written into the Affordable Care Act as being mandated to obtain their health insurance coverage through the state exchanges.

Being especially brilliant, Congress didn't think that in writing the law that way, they would also be moving from an employer-provided health insurance plan to an individual health insurance plan, something that would a significant impact on the individual's cost. Frankly, I don't give a crap about how much it costs individual Members of Congress, but their staffers didn't deserve to be tossed out of the Federal Employees Health Benefits program and incur those additional costs. I'm glad they found a work-around ... not glad for Congress, but their staffers.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,513 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they would be exempt, what I'm saying is if their insurance is paid for by the government, then why doesn't the government roll them over into the exchange to reduce cost like they are saying it will IF millions are enrolled?
I'm a Fed. The Government does not pay for all of our health insurance. They subsidize a portion of it, then we pick a commercial plan based on the cost and our coverage needs. Available plans vary by state and some eligibility factors. It essentially operates like a private exchange. You can see the plans and their costs here:

Plan Information

I suspect that you'll see the same providers in the ACA exchanges offering similar prices.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:49 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
I won't touch on my particular views on ObamaCare, but I would like to know if ObamaCare or the ACA will insure those who work for the federal government? If they aren't enrolled them wouldn't it be genius for the federal government to enroll all government employees including the President and Congress onto the program since Obama said the more people enrolled the less it would cost? That would be a few million enrolled fairly quick.
ACA establishes a baseline for all private and group healthcare insurance.

The state and other health exchanges are available to people who do not have employer sponsored/subsidized group health insurance.

With the exception of Congress, all federal government employees will continue to be insured by their employer's sponsored group health insurance. All insurance is written at the state level, so the federal government is negotiating hundred of group policies each year.

Back when, a Republican attached a bill to ACA that requires Congress and their staffers to buy insurance from home state exchanges. The government will continue to subsidize the cost as they have in the past.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they would be exempt, what I'm saying is if their insurance is paid for by the government, then why doesn't the government roll them over into the exchange to reduce cost like they are saying it will IF millions are enrolled?
The federal employees have insurance through their jobs that includes all the crap that ACA mandates. A friend of mine had his premiums raised.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,444,149 times
Quote:
"Obamacare" doesn't insure anybody. It created some new regulations, mandates, and set up exchanges for people to buy insurance. (All Republican ideas BTW)

They're not allowed to buy insurance on the exchange, just like everybody else with employer provided health insurance.

They are saving money in the same way because it's a large pool, similar to a large private business. One employee can get cancer and it doesn't cause the corporation's rate to go up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies