Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 03:44 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,933,885 times

Advertisements

I have looked at the Detroit CAFRs. So I have seen the financials. They do indeed show that they have the means to pay if one looks at the accounting. Their CAFRs are not so different from many other Municipal CAFRs, however. I have mentioned this in threads about Detroit that people should look at how the funds are being managed.

However, this is an interesting situation. This is an article discussing an Objector who is stated to be the Chair of St. Peter. I have not confirmed the court information. Listened to a recording of what appears to be this Objector and a judge. The recording states their was a request for intervention. Will look for this.

Seems unusual regardless. Certainly been some unusual events going on all over, including at the Vatican.

Objector insists to judge 'there isn't a bankruptcy' in Detroit because all global debts have been erased

quote:
In the most unusual argument presented during the U.S. Bankruptcy Court hearing, Marques testified that he was there as a representative of “the Chair of St. Peter” — as in the Vatican.
Marques of Ohio said all of Detroit’s debts were wiped out on June 30 as part of “global debt forgiveness.”
He acknowledged that his legal arguments are unique, but insisted that they are based in fact. He also warned that anyone who doesn’t follow the orders from the Chair of St. Peter could be held accountable for war crimes.

Anybody else hear about this? Anybody checked into it? Have seen many discussions on here about Detroit. Didn't see this mentioned though. This is from the 19th of Sept and had not seen it til a bit after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:14 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Detroit cannot afford to replace street lights or pay its current bonds. Half the traffic lights are out of order.

Detroit cannot fulfill its pension and can't even follow the law on its pension: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/...dayspaper&_r=1

Detroit is broke and went broke for a variety of reasons: How Detroit went broke: The answers may surprise you — and don't blame Coleman Young | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

But I agree, we can wave our magic wand and splash some pixie dust around to declare that Detroit in fact has a huge surplus!!! More illegal extra pension payments to buy votes - we can afford it, YES WE CAN!!!

Last edited by michiganmoon; 09-27-2013 at 04:38 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Detroit cannot afford to replace street lights or pay its current bonds. Half the traffic lights are out of order.

Detroit cannot fulfill its pension and can't even follow the law on its pension: http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2013/09/...dayspaper&_r=1

Detroit is broke and went broke for a variety of reasons: How Detroit went broke: The answers may surprise you — and don't blame Coleman Young | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

But I agree, we can wave our magic wand and splash some pixie dust around to declare that Detroit in fact has a huge surplus!!! More illegal extra pension payments to buy votes - we can afford it, YES WE CAN!!!
MM did you go look at the CAFRs? I did. They are not broke. Why would you not go look at the books yourself and see how their accounting works?

Magic has nothing to do with it. How in the world do people take someone else's word for something they can go look at with their own eyes?

There are links and explanations here on those CAFRs. The pensions are being pilfered. That is what all these BKs are about. This happened in the publicly traded corps in the 80's and 90's. They are some of the largest investment funds on earth.

Do you get to claim payments scheduled for 10 years down the road against your current liabilities?

Anyone else not feel sorry for poor cities on the verge?

Detroit: The Latest Bankruptcy Lie

Most businesses would die for this kind of accounting advantages.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Detroit has extra assets because most cities don't own their own art museum with 2 Billion dollars worth of art. That art needs to be there to help the city when all the smoke clears. It shouldn't be sold to pay for corruption.

How often have you been to Detroit? Most city lights can not afford to be repaired and are out encouraging more crime. Half the street lights can not afford to be repaired and makes driving annoying off of the main drags, except half the town is dead.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Detroit has extra assets because most cities don't own their own art museum with 2 Billion dollars worth of art. That art needs to be there to help the city when all the smoke clears. It shouldn't be sold to pay for corruption.

How often have you been to Detroit? Most city lights can not afford to be repaired and are out encouraging more crime. Half the street lights can not afford to be repaired and makes driving annoying off of the main drags, except half the town is dead.
That has nothing to do with it. Like I said you want to talk about finances you should look at the books. Not some third party headline. That is why they have been getting away with it.

You yourself were talking about the corruption. Gee wonder how it happened? So you talk about the corruption, but you just don't bother to follow up. You just trust them? Sorry that makes no sense to me.

Apparently, some are starting to catch on.
WSJ.com - Pension Funds Dispute Math in Detroit Bankruptcy ...

Last edited by CDusr; 09-27-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-27-2013, 05:51 AM

Here is the recording between the objector and the judge.

The Chair of Saint Peter - Creditor to Bankruptcy of THE CITY OF DETROIT - YouTube

Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM

Just for some background.
Roman Curia
Chair of Saint Peter

Old 09-27-2013, 09:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Well Obama just announced $320 million in grants..aka "free money" to Detroit.
Fed bailout alright. And watch for more "grants" coming their way in the future.

Tell me this won't open the spigot for other cities.....

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...nkrupt-detroit
U.S. President Barack Obama is committing at least $320 million to revive bankrupt Detroit, primarily through grant and funding programs....

Old 09-27-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well Obama just announced $320 million in grants..aka "free money" to Detroit.
Fed bailout alright. And watch for more "grants" coming their way in the future.

Tell me this won't open the spigot for other cities.....

Obama Administration Commits $320 Million for Bankrupt Detroit - Businessweek
U.S. President Barack Obama is committing at least $320 million to revive bankrupt Detroit, primarily through grant and funding programs....
Unfortunately, those FED grants usually end up shaping direction they want.That's how we got HAVA. Also just more to line the pockets. Though they have way more than that in the funds. 320mill is small.

This article like so many others really says nothing. There is no real detail. Amazing given the amount of funds we are discussing.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:39 PM

The Detroit site dedicated to the BK appears to be missing information. Though the filing was apparently a month earlier, so I may have missed this. I did find dockets for this. However, this appears to be a copy of what was filed. The date is actually shown as 8-19. Need to click on the number 493 for the pdf.
Detroit Bankruptcy Docket :: Justia Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies