Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2013, 10:21 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Neither have I (born in '53 and raised in Missouri - a former slave state). I've ridden may buses, a few trains and went to tons of movie theaters and never in my life saw a black having to travel in another part of a bus or train.. or sit in a cinema in their own section.

You're taking a historical aspect of a few deep-south areas (like Alabama and Mississipi) and painting 50 states with too wide a brush.

We've had some rather dirty periods in our history. Just like everybody else.

On another note, when I was doing some work for Shell Oil back in the '70s I met a few English guys and they loved telling rather unflattering Irish jokes. They were funny as hell.

And I'm of Irish descent, to boot, lol.

Great bunch of guys to go drinking with.
I'm Irish and I don't find Irish jokes funny at all. Although you do have to have a thick skin in this world and not be ultra sensitive either. Now they just tell "Blonde" jokes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:31 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Not knowing a lot about the historical perspectives regarding Britain ... I googled it, and came up with this Wikipedia page (yes, I know it's not the end-all and be-all of knowledge).

It doesn't exactly present an image of a lack of racism.

And while slavery continued to exist in the Southern US states until the 1860s, the slave trade itself was abolished in 1808 in the US. It was abolished in 1834 in the British Empire (though in the UK itself, in 1807).

Old 10-07-2013, 10:33 PM

256 posts, read 452,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Again, I think you are referring to the American south. In the northeast (I don't know about the rest of the country) we don't have that many people who call themselves "Christians" meaning evangelist extremists. I don't think we're very racist or homophobic either. We have gay marriage so how are we homophobic?

I don't think the south contains 1/2 of the US population.
Typical Northern liberal response.

Let's blame everything on the South and totally forget about Dr. King having bottles thrown at him when he marched through Chicago, or little black children who were spit on and cursed at for being bussed to schools in all white neighborhoods in Boston, or the numerous race related attacks that occurred in New York City during the late 80's.

Let's forget that the most segregated cities in the U.S today are all Northern cities (Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Cleveland, the list goes on and on).

Nope only those darn Southerners were the problem

Old 10-08-2013, 12:50 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
I watched old film of some of this happening recently, what the hell went on over there..... and to me still is... you just have to read threads on here and see how obsessed some are with skin colour. go into a UK forum and you wont see much of this at all..

Old 10-08-2013, 02:21 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I watched old film of some of this happening recently, what the hell went on over there..... and to me still is... you just have to read threads on here and see how obsessed some are with skin colour. go into a UK forum and you wont see much of this at all..
I agree. I have never seen so much discussion of race as I see on CD. I do not get it. People in real life do not talk this way and they have better things to discuss than racism. I'm in a few other online groups and no one talks about race--if they rant and rave it will be about politics, the price of food, kids today being too spoiled, lack of jobs--the usual.

I MAY also agree with the poster who said that there is racism in northern cities that most of us are not aware of and that it's not just the south. But racism in the north would be much more subtle and it's unfamiliar to me. There are also federal government programs that put minorities first and those have been in place for many years, like Affirmative Action. But the fact remains that it was in the south that the people weren't supposed to ride on the bus or drink from the same water fountains. The south also had (has?) the KKK and used to lynch people. I don't think the north has much history of anything like that.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:26 AM

To me it seems some are steeped from birth in hatred... a much deeper bitterness than any religion.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:10 AM

308 posts, read 500,586 times
YES. Race in the UK is an issue just as much as it is in the USA worldwide. However its not as seriously stressed in the UK in the way it is in the USA. USA and UK differ a lot!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 AM

Not where I live it isnt, we dont expect blacks to be our skivvys.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:20 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,243,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I agree. I have never seen so much discussion of race as I see on CD. I do not get it. People in real life do not talk this way and they have better things to discuss than racism. I'm in a few other online groups and no one talks about race--if they rant and rave it will be about politics, the price of food, kids today being too spoiled, lack of jobs--the usual.

I MAY also agree with the poster who said that there is racism in northern cities that most of us are not aware of and that it's not just the south. But racism in the north would be much more subtle and it's unfamiliar to me. There are also federal government programs that put minorities first and those have been in place for many years, like Affirmative Action. But the fact remains that it was in the south that the people weren't supposed to ride on the bus or drink from the same water fountains. The south also had (has?) the KKK and used to lynch people. I don't think the north has much history of anything like that.
The KKK was founded in Indiana.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:10 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not where I live it isnt, we dont expect blacks to be our skivvys.
in the US, skivvies are underwear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies