Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 01:04 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
I have NEVER heard any of this on Fox News or any Credible News source.
Can you cite any credible sources to this?
Any chance this is Left Wing propaganda spinning stories?
But no, I wouldn't believe this.
Left wing spin? i have heard those very lies on this site. Are you really saying you have never heard of death panels.

Heck, this moron even ran for Congress and lost just 5 days ago

The American Spectator : Death Panels by Proxy

Quote:
True. And that is exactly why I don't think this will be sustainable.
This will be another case of more money going out than what is coming in. Because of all the exemptions, part-time employees and people that have their own insurance won't be contributing back into the system. Not to mention the Illegals that will use the system and not contribute.A half ass system like this just won't work with our current healthcare costs.
Can you please tell me what exemptions you are talking about ????

Quote:
I can't admit they are lying because I have not heard these lies you claim.
All the arguments against the ACA I have heard is about the cost/unsustainability. Which I agree with. Just look at Medicare and SS.
The CBO says that the ACA cost less than the system we had before, it also says that it extended the life of Medicare by 10 years.

CBO | Letter to the Honorable John Boehner providing an estimate for H.R. 6079, the Repeal of Obamacare Act

Im honestly not seeing where you are getting this argument from ?

Quote:
The fact that it was passed in a rushed manner. Pelosi's dumbass comment. And the fact that there was no partisanship in the bill.
No one is denying the Pelosi's comment was dumb, but that was honestly just stupid wording rather than her actually saying she hadent read it, hell it only took me 2 days to read it and i was going to work and school at the time.

Even Olympia Snowe has admitted that Republicans planned not to vote for any of Obama;s key legislation before he was even inaugurated. bipartisanship was something Democrats hoped for that Republicans had already slammed the door on.

The argument that the bill isnt bipartisan also shouldnt be a deterrent from the bill itself. Who cares if no Republican voted for it ? that doesnt tell if the bill is good or bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
3% more people wanted Obama than Romney, such a huge victory. Plus 2012 was not an election about Obamacare, it is amazing it was scheduled to go into effect after the election. I wonder how many more elections it will be postponed past to save the democrats.

When the house and senate shift further right in 2014 will it be ok to get rid of Obamacare then?
And he only beat McCain by 7%, what exactly is your point ?

2012 was indeed an election on Obamacare. That is all Mitt Romney ran on, it is probably the reason he lost, he never put forth his own plans.

it was never delayed in the first place, the original version of the law is still on the House website.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:

And?? The law stands.
Republicans are just not will to fund it on TOP of raising the debt ceiling! Dems need to learn to control their spending maybe.

Really?? When they already agreed to raising the Debt Ceiling? I wouldn't call that all or nothing. Dems already have half of what they want. They're just being unwilling to compromise and being a bunch of babies. Just like the Sequestration.
Just spend, spend, spend....

Yeh well....not all Americans support it. The Republicans are standing up for the ones that don't want it. THAT IS THEIR JOB!! And they are within their rights.
The law is already funded. Here is a conservative writer dealing with reality.

But that's wrong -- the money for Obamacare isn't at stake in the continuing resolution currently under consideration. It's "mandatory" spending, akin to Medicare and Social Security, and would require action by Congress to revoke. "I’m convinced that most conservatives who have bought into [Cruz's] strategy have been misled to believe we can hold off Obamacare for a while with a government shutdown," Freddoso writes. "Obamacare is already funded, and that won’t change if this bill gets stalled by a filibuster. During the shutdown, the Marines don’t get paid, but Obamacare gets funded."

Here is Senator Coburn telling the objective truth about defunding Obamacare

Dr. Coburn has and will continue to support defunding Obamacare. The current “Defund Obamacare” campaign, however, is based on a false promise that has been used by special interest groups to bolster political careers instead of focusing on smart strategies that can actually weaken and destroy Obamacare. By coupling the issue with the CR, these groups are telling the American people that Republicans in Congress can actually defund Obamacare by not voting for the CR or by allowing the government to shut down. This is simply not true. Simply put: we cannot defund or replace Obamacare completely until we have a Republican supermajority in the House and Senate that can override a Presidential veto. Even then, Dr. Coburn questions if we could obtain all 67 votes in the Senate needed to override a veto. Additionally, the Congressional Research Service (CRS) issued a report which concluded that even if the government were to be shut down, Obamacare would still live on, not least of because the power to continue its implementation would be given to President Obama. Again, if a shutdown occurred, Obamacare would remain nearly fully funded and implementation of the exchanges would still continue on October 1, 2013. - See more at: Coburn releases Q&A on why he opposes ‘defund’ | Conservative Intelligence Briefing

Raising the debt ceilling and funding the government is not doing Democrats a favor. It is the job of all of Congress to do. So the Democrats get nothing from the conservative party raising the debt ceiling of funding the government.

In these so called negotiations, what is the Democratic party demanding from conservatives? Nothing.

It is the conservative party that is demanding that in order to do what they all agree has to be done which is fund the government and raise the debt ceiling the Democratic party should negotiate with conservatives where the Democratic party asks for nothing and gets nothing and the conservative party gets their legislative agenda met.

This is insanity. It is not a negotiation because the Democratic party is asking the conservatives for nothing.

Again both parties agree that the government has to be funded and the debt ceiling raised. conservatives doing what they already know has to be done is not a negotiating position.

Last edited by Iamme73; 09-29-2013 at 01:35 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 01:24 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Keep up the good work. You are moving in the right direction. Let Obama and the demorats shut down the government or whatever they are calling it these days. The American people are proud of you when you take a stand against these tyrants. God Bless You and God Bless America.
Cruel and oppressive.

I don't see how. Ineffective, yes.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:37 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
boehner has been hijacked by the tea baggers. he knows if he doesnt go along he'll be replaced as speaker.

its suicide though because all polls show repubs get the blame for the shut down. there basically handing the dems the issue.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:38 AM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Left wing spin? i have heard those very lies on this site. Are you really saying you have never heard of death panels.

Heck, this moron even ran for Congress and lost just 5 days ago

The American Spectator : Death Panels by Proxy
Never heard of that News source, but yeh I don't buy that.
Like I said, I'm more interested in the economic side of this. Once again the forward generations have to suffer if this all goes wrong. They already have Medicare and SS to deal with.

Quote:
Can you please tell me what exemptions you are talking about ????
Dude, I'm sure you've seen all the threads here. The fact that Congress is exempted from it is reason enough for it to be questionable.

Quote:
The CBO says that the ACA cost less than the system we had before, it also says that it extended the life of Medicare by 10 years.

CBO | Letter to the Honorable John Boehner providing an estimate for H.R. 6079, the Repeal of Obamacare Act

Im honestly not seeing where you are getting this argument from ?
Medicare is already $35 trillion in the hole at LEAST.
I take anything from the CBO with a pinch of salt.

Think about it. The only people that will be contributing to the costs of the ACA, is the people that use it and those that pay the fine.
Part-time don't contribute. The unemployed don't contribute. The exempted don't contribute. The illegals don't contribute. Yet they all get to use it. So only a small group contribute into a pool that that many people pull from. Then factor in our health costs. Look how much just a CAT scan costs. How many people have to work for that just so someone can have that free? it seems EXTREMELY likely that more money will be going out than coming in. Just like Medicare and SS.

Quote:
No one is denying the Pelosi's comment was dumb, but that was honestly just stupid wording rather than her actually saying she hadent read it, hell it only took me 2 days to read it and i was going to work and school at the time.

Even Olympia Snowe has admitted that Republicans planned not to vote for any of Obama;s key legislation before he was even inaugurated. bipartisanship was something Democrats hoped for that Republicans had already slammed the door on.

The argument that the bill isnt bipartisan also shouldnt be a deterrent from the bill itself. Who cares if no Republican voted for it ? that doesnt tell if the bill is good or bad.
It's not the votes that bothers me. It's the fact that the Republicans didn't get to participate in the bill. They weren't given the chance to add/make changes/dispute anything before being signed into law. That's why Nancy made the dumb comment and that's why they didn't vote for it in the first place.
That's not how a bill of this size/impact should get passed.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:43 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times
Quote:
They are not threatening the nation with anything.
The Dems are.
Look, it's stupid to claim "they are not threatening the nation with anything" when they are the ones who inserted all kinds of partisan, legislatively desirable riders into the spending bill with the intent of using the negative consequences of the upcoming deadline as leverage to get them through. Obviously, if you state a desire that is backed up by broad negative consequences if not met, you are making a threat. This is elementary reasoning here...

Fact remains that Republicans are trying to use the economic risk to the nation to achieve that which they desire legislatively but couldn't achieve legitimately. And people see it for what it is: extortion.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:52 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
Quote:
It's not the votes that bothers me. It's the fact that the Republicans didn't get to participate in the bill. They weren't given the chance to add/make changes/dispute anything before being signed into law. That's why Nancy made the dumb comment and that's why they didn't vote for it in the first place.

win elections.

your party caters only to white males. broaden the base and get different people in your party and reach out to non white groups, then maybe you'll get attention.

the republicans will continue to not participate if they continue to have the tea baggers running things.

youll become the permanent minority party. tea baggers have proven that they cant win anything nationally.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Dude, I'm sure you've seen all the threads here. The fact that Congress is exempted from it is reason enough for it to be questionable.
See, that is the problem. Congress is not exempt. The law as it was written said that congressional staffers and aides had to enter into the exchange instead of continued to have healthcare provided to them by the Federal government.

They asked for that part of the law to be replaced so that they could kept their government healthcare because Republicans argued that making them buy into the system meant they had a direct stake in whether Obamacare worked or not.

There is no exemption, that is a complete lie, a narrative forged by right wingers.

Quote:
Medicare is already $35 trillion in the hole at LEAST.
I take anything from the CBO with a pinch of salt.
so then who do you trust ??

the CBO is also one of the most reliable sources you will even come across in this or any other subject.

your bias against it is unwarranted and is based on your political ideology rather than any truth.

Quote:
Think about it. The only people that will be contributing to the costs of the ACA, is the people that use it and those that pay the fine.
Part-time don't contribute. The unemployed don't contribute. The exempted don't contribute. The illegals don't contribute. Yet they all get to use it. So only a small group contribute into a pool that that many people pull from. Then factor in our health costs. Look how much just a CAT scan costs. How many people have to work for that just so someone can have that free? it seems EXTREMELY likely that more money will be going out than coming in. Just like Medicare and SS.
There are no exempt one. But the bigger argument is about the ACA itself, this isnt Social security. there is nothing to pay into.

Quote:
The bold is completely untrue, i believe we had this argument the other day, i posted a link to the meetings, maybe you left before reading those responses, but republicans indeed got a chance for impute.

ok, im going to bed.

Last edited by dsjj251; 09-29-2013 at 02:21 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 02:04 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,813 times
I understand the need for fiscal responsibility and reducing the federal deficit.

Using the theatrics and grandstanding the hijacked GOP will as other posters point out, receive the blame for the govt shutdown. This debacle will send the grand old party into eventual oblivion-----it will become the gone old party.

These annual crisis are wearing on the American people. It is becoming an anxiety ridden annual national disaster. Enough of the idealogues and carnival cronies on both sides of the political spectrum.

It is time for all those politicos who have agendas that will plunge the country into chaos, to go home and try another profession. This is becoming humiliating for our nation-----this is sideshow that needs to end-----permanently.

To issue ultimatums and demands that will potentially bring about chaos and possible disaster is unacceptable-----its time for our citizens to demand that our leaders from both parties that will insist on idealogy first-----resign and leave office.

Our country was founded and has developed on reason, logic, and compromise. Republicans and Democrats who choose to compromise the welfare of this nation in the name of sloganism, idealogy, or carnival tactics and grandstanding, should just go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies