Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 11:02 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I think everyone understands the GOP demands won't be met and unless they pass an agreeable bill, the troops won't be paid, and GOP will be held accountable.
The only way that troops won't get paid during the shut-down that Reid is going to make sure happens is IF the Senate deliberately votes to withhold salary payments to the troops. The House sent up a separate bill to make sure they get paid - they knew that the Democrats would try to pin them with withholding pay to the troops ..... so they headed that off at the pass.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I laugh when I hear that liberals care whether troops get paid or not... they are using them as propaganda ammunition and that is sad...

Old 09-30-2013, 11:18 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The only way that troops won't get paid during the shut-down that Reid is going to make sure happens is IF the Senate deliberately votes to withhold salary payments to the troops. The House sent up a separate bill to make sure they get paid - they knew that the Democrats would try to pin them with withholding pay to the troops ..... so they headed that off at the pass.
The GOP is trying to mitigate the effects of a shutdown by choosing to protect certain groups that their own base cares about, but letting others suffer the full consequences. They care nothing for the more than 800,000 workers who simply want to do their jobs who will be subjected to yet another furlough without pay at the hands of the House Conservatives. That's 800,000 workers and their families who will suffer financially, but the GOP sheds no tears for them.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:22 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Looks like they will be paid, which is a good thing. It also looks like even the insurance exchange will begin to operate even if the shut down occurrs.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
In the 95 shutdown, I was deployed on a carrier in the Persian Gulf. Once the shutdown was announced, I marched to the JAG office and demanded to be discharged from breach of contract. They started working on it until we found out 24 hours later the military was funded.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
I can see why liberals would be confused. See, the Tea Party caucus is actually doing what their constituents put them in office to do; Everything in their power to stop Obamacare. Liberals, especially pundits inside the Beltway are confused that the Tea Partiers are actually putting their constituents ahead of what benefits them politically.

I say, let them shut it down. I want to hear the pigs squeal when they watch their lucrative contracts grind to a halt. Don't forget they are the ones that are stealing our tax money. Six of the 10 richest counties are in the DC area.

Shut. It. Down.

The rest of the country will probably just yawn like we did with the sequester.

Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Pentagon outlines how shutdown would impact operations – CNN Security Clearance - CNN.com Blogs

"All military personnel will continue in a normal duty status regardless of their affiliation" under a shutdown scenario, Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton Carter wrote in a memo to military commanders and other senior defense officials.
But continued service could present complications for the troops themselves, Carter added.

"Military personnel will not be paid until such time as Congress makes appropriated funds available to compensate them for this period of service," he wrote.

This would include troops currently fighting in Afghanistan.
The GOP has absolutely zero ability to shutdown the government.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:32 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The left and facts departed different ports long ago
Yes, and it began about 40 years ago.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
They wrote a bill which they knew will be rejected. It's political theatre, and I think people are getting pretty tired of it. As a matter of fact only 13% of Americans support these games.
I've called you out on using that 13% lie over and over again, and yet you continue to post it as if its fact..

Old 09-30-2013, 01:40 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The GOP is trying to mitigate the effects of a shutdown by choosing to protect certain groups that their own base cares about, but letting others suffer the full consequences. They care nothing for the more than 800,000 workers who simply want to do their jobs who will be subjected to yet another furlough without pay at the hands of the House Conservatives. That's 800,000 workers and their families who will suffer financially, but the GOP sheds no tears for them.
Wwaaaaa, waaaaa, we must protect governmernt employees who earn far more than most people do..

Whats it feel like to defend millionaires while screwing little childrens futures Jude?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies