Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:25 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareb View Post
What would be their compromise?{republicans}. To give the democrats 100% of what they want, i.e. fund the government to whatever extent the democrats want? I thought compromise entailed give and take. So if your asking why wont they compromise, then what in your opinion would the democrats be willing to give in return? Otherwise your question should be: why wont the republicans give in 100% and get nothing.....no compromise on the democrats side.
This is not a baiting question....I really would like to know what you see as true compromise. BTW, I don't agree with what is happening right now but I do think there needs to be a little give by Reid and company.
I sincerely hope the Democrats do NOT compromise one inch. Not one. I am tired of the lunatic fringe (who don't represent ME by the way) taking the entire country hostage.

They have had YEARS to make their 'tweaks' to Obamacare (suddenly they have suggestions).

Too little; too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 06:27 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You are seriously going to dig this whole as deep as possible arent you ?

Govt Shutdown Showdown - House Bill Would Delay Obamacare By One Year - Louie Gohmert (R) - YouTube

If there is something that matters other than Obamacare, then why is Obamacare the only thing they are talking about ????
What is that supposed to prove? The dems never negotiated, they just stamp their feet, and demand all or nothing.

In the end, Reid shut down the government to retain his cushy 75% health insurance subsidy, paid by us taxpayers, while at the same time forcing all of us to buy healthcare insurance, or the IRS will punish us.

And this is what the dems call a winning hand????

Old 10-01-2013, 06:33 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

That about sums it up.

Unfortunately, the liberal media will put their spin on it and the sheeple will bray in approval.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Damn, I wanted to visit the White House. Oopps, Obama shut down the peoples house the last time he didn't get his way. I'm not a celebrity so I won't get an invite either. We the people are not good enough and dictators don't let the people visit the house.
I'm wondering how much the shut down will impact any of us. I really don't remember the shut down in the 90's. Couldn't have caused much in the way of issues if it wasn't even a memorable event.

I think the democrats refusal to negotiate the budget is just childish. We need a balanced budget. If you want obamacare, you need to raise taxes to pay for it. It's a simple fact of life that you cannot live on borrowed money indefinitely. The over spending needs to come to a halt.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Both parties need to stop fighting and find an agreement. Hey how about the rich won't have to pay so much taxes and the affordable Act will be passed. In the end the government still gets their money. Since it is based on income the rich will still pay way more.
Unfortunately, you need both sides negotiating for that to happen. I wonder how long the democrats will continue to refuse to negotiate? This could be a long shut down if they don't come back to the negotiating table.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:42 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,157,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm wondering how much the shut down will impact any of us. I really don't remember the shut down in the 90's. Couldn't have caused much in the way of issues if it wasn't even a memorable event.

I think the democrats refusal to negotiate the budget is just childish. We need a balanced budget. If you want obamacare, you need to raise taxes to pay for it. It's a simple fact of life that you cannot live on borrowed money indefinitely. The over spending needs to come to a halt.
Remember how no one really noticed the sequester, and all of 0bama's hand-wringing got him bupkiss? What happens when this partial shutdown is not noticed by the people either?

Old 10-01-2013, 06:48 PM

32,067 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Well, there they go again, shutting down the government. Not that we'll miss it all that much.

Recall the last time they shut down the government in the mid-1990s: At least the Democrats and Republicans negotiated... or appeared to.

As the deadline loomed, Republicans and Democrats were about $5 billion apart in their budget negotiations (this was back when a billion dollars was considered a lot of money).

After a week of solid "negotiations", Republicans had moved about $2.3 billion toward the Democrats' position.

And during the same period, Democrats had moved $500 million away from the Republicans' position.

The deadline came with no agreement reached, and the government shut down. WIth the help of a compliant media to bury the facts of what had gone on, people got the impression that the shutdown was "Republicans' fault".

Fast forward to 2013. This time the Democrats have dispensed with the feigned "negotiations" of the 1990s, and simply refuse to meet at all with Republicans. They simply say that Republicans must cave to all Democrat demands. Their confidence is high, knowing that the media will pretend that responsibillity for the shutdown is solely the Republicans'... again.

But history shows that Democrats have NEVER been interested in negotiating or compromising, at least since the 1980s. As they move to the left at ever-increasing speed, their agenda does not allow for any slowing, compromise, or even negotiating.

------------------------------------------------------

Government shutdown begins as gridlocked Congress gives up - Washington Times
Government shutdown begins as gridlocked Congress gives up

By Stephen Dinan
The Washington Times
Monday, September 30, 2013

Congress adjourned early Tuesday morning without renewing funding for the federal government and the White House issued orders beginning the grim task of shutting down “nonessential†services across the nation.

Senators gave up first, adjourning soon after midnight, while House lawmakers stuck it out past 1 a.m. But with a middle ground proving elusive and senators refusing to negotiate over changes to the health law, the House too gave up and vowed to try again later in the day.

The debate raged even as Congress careened through the deadline, with House Republicans sending repeated proposals over to Senate Democrats, though never the one plan senators demanded: a funding bill with no strings attached.

President Obama upped the pressure, releasing a video message early Tuesday morning that he recorded to American troops, in which he blamed Congress for letting the military down. “It has failed to pass a budget and, as a result, much of our government must now shut down until Congress funds it again,†he said.

A last-ditch House plan to request formal talks with Senate Democrats was met with derision by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, who said there will be no negotiations with the threat of a shutdown still looming.

What exactly do you want the democrats to compromise on. Republicans want to defund obamacare and this is the reason the government shut down. But obamacare has already been discussed and voted on. It's the law now and there should be no more discussion especially since millions are already benefiting from it. So let's move on now and that's what the democrats are trying to do. This was a great day for the working poor who couldn't previously afford insurance. Republicans have no souls. They would rather the government shutdown and people lose jobs because they don't like obamacare. Oh but they still get paid. If the country didn't want obamacare then Romney would be president. I'm sorry but republicans are being whining babies who are hell bent on destroying our country because they don't agree and won't abide by our last election. They think they are right and the rest of the country is wrong.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:57 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What exactly do you want the democrats to compromise on. Republicans want to defund obamacare and this is the reason the government shut down. But obamacare has already been discussed and voted on. It's the law now and there should be no more discussion especially since millions are already benefiting from it. So let's move on now and that's what the democrats are trying to do. This was a great day for the working poor who couldn't previously afford insurance. Republicans have no souls. They would rather the government shutdown and people lose jobs because they don't like obamacare. Oh but they still get paid. If the country didn't want obamacare then Romney would be president. I'm sorry but republicans are being whining babies who are hell bent on destroying our country because they don't agree and won't abide by our last election. They think they are right and the rest of the country is wrong.
Republicans already passed a continuing resolution to fully fund the ACA and the rest of the government. Included in that bill was a provision that stripped Congress of its subsidy and required them to be subject to the ACA just like everyone else.

Even that reasonable change to a terrible law was "non-negotiable." It's not the GOP that's being unreasonable. It's the Democrats, who apparently believe that when a bill is passed in the dark of night with kickbacks and bribes, it is sacrosanct and can never be changed. Unless, of course, their King decides he wants changes like the union waivers, the big business waivers, and the Congressional waiver. Then it's OK for the bill to be changed by executive fiat and without any legislative debate at all.

Obama's supporters truly wish for a dictatorship, which is exactly what they have in King Obama. And he has the media behind him along with an army of people like you, who never question a single thing he does or doesn't do.

Thank God the GOP finally developed a spine to stand up to your and Obama's tyranny.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Remember how no one really noticed the sequester, and all of 0bama's hand-wringing got him bupkiss? What happens when this partial shutdown is not noticed by the people either?
People will begin to realize just how much of the government we don't need.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:01 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Democrats have been trying to get the House GOP to conference their budget with the Senate budget for six months and now the House wants to conference?

No. Now it's time for hardball. We're gonna make the GOP do a clean CR and take out all of the poison pills. This little tea party hissy fit won't last too long after the country turns against them.
We are?.... bwahahahahahahahaahahehehehehooooooweeee!!!!!

Meanwhile the government is shut down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies