Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2013, 12:03 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,303,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
A fine example of compassionate conservatism! I'm awesome and you and your family suck! Lazy bums! Die, already!

More bumper stickers coming soon ....
It doesn't even make sense because according to reports conservative parents are more likely to take advantage of keeping their adult children on their health insurance.

So even conservatives support the idea of parents having the option to keep their adult children on their insurance up to 26yrs old.

Some of these people on C-D are ideologically out there.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:07 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
No.

Whatever the employer spends on an employee is part of the employee's compensation. Take away part of the compensation, and you are reducing the employee's compensation by however much the employer previously expended minus what they currently expend.

And if someone doesn't have any medical expenses, the loss of insurance coverage is still a loss.
Yep. It's a pay cut for sure. First they get rid of the unions, then they cut your benefits and your pay. Those Kochs are not fools, but the people who fell for that anti-union stuff and are now getting clipped sure are.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,174,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I usually agree with you on many things but this is incorrect in practical everyday application. Anytime you get to post expenses against potential taxes you are being subsidized. Call it what you will if I dont have to pay taxes that someone else does for whatever reason that is a subsidy. Not saying it's bad just calling a duck a duck.

It's in-kind support.
You arent getting a post expense against potential taxes, you are paying for a BUSINESS expense..

just like when you pay rent to rent office space, ITS AN EXPENSE...

Do you think employees arent an expense? What business do you operate that they have no cost?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:16 PM

15,539 posts, read 10,524,428 times
I kept my kids on my plan until they were 26, it was cheaper for all of us that way. Sometimes I made them kick it back to me, other times I didn't. Anywho, sounds like people didn't shop around for plans too me.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:16 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You arent getting a post expense against potential taxes, you are paying for a BUSINESS expense..

just like when you pay rent to rent office space, ITS AN EXPENSE...

Do you think employees arent an expense? What business do you operate that they have no cost?
I see you still don't get it, not surprised.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
You are making a different argument. I think it is fairly obvious that if a landlord is offering to knock off for the monthly rent if the renters do x, y, z, around the property, that the landlord perceives that the value of the renters doing x, y, z is higher than the amount the rent is knocked off.

but it doesn't change that the landlord is still spending $1200 whether the landlord collects the full rent and then mails a check for $1200 or whether the landlord deducts the $100 upfront and just doesn't collect $1200.
WRONG..

Scenario 1, landlord receives $1200, thus pays taxes on $1200 a month income AND IS TAXED ON IT
Scenario 2, landlord receives $1100, but the tenant keeps the extra $100 AND IS TAXED ON IT..

Thats why ALL of my rentals have the tenants paying ALL of the ownership costs..
Quote:
Either way whether a check is mailed or not the landlord is spending $1200.

Again, you can't seem to think. If the government collects all taxes owed and simply mailed out checks for those deductions, then you'd say the government is spending money? But if the government merely doesn't collect the taxes for those the deductions then the government isn't spending money?

That makes no sense. Either way just like the landlord whether checks are mailed or not the government is spending money.
BINGO.. either way the landlord is spending $1200 which makes it NOT A SUBSIDY..

Old 10-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
And this is why people who are getting their employer insurance subsidized have no business complaining about other people getting subsidies on the health care exchanges.

It is the height of hypocrisy or ignorance.
no, no, no.. now YOUR the one changing the argument..

Employer subsidizing an employees expense, isnt what the argument was, it was TAXPAYERS subsidizing the expense...

Dont change the argument without admitting your initial one was WRONG..
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I see you still don't get it, not surprised.
Hows that welfare check treating you?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I thought that odd as well.

He doesn't seem to understand my point, which the landlord in my example is spending money whether a check is mailed or not.

The same as the federal government is spending money on these deductions whether a check is mailed or not.

It doesn't make sense that people don't seem to understand that the federal government not collected taxes owed based on giving out tax deductions is the same as the federal government collecting all taxes owed and then mailing a check for the value of that deduction.
The TENANT keeps the $100 they otherwise would have been paying in rent (under your scenario),
and is once again TAXED on the extra $1200 "profit" they keep by not spending it on rent..

Thats not a dam subsidy because YOUR TAXED ON IT..

Its not even a subsidy for the landlord because that $100 reduction is a reduction is income.. and isnt offset by government giving them money.

What part of the definition of subsidy, dont you understand?

Old 10-02-2013, 12:22 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,787,985 times
We have seen how well college subsidies from the us and state governments have worked.

Once the subsidy is cut people will start complaining.

The issue with me and the ACA isn't the law itself. It's the revenue needed to pay for it.

More and more people will be off loaded to the exchanges by employers and or state government (those retired with state health plans). The CBO cannot generate estimates based on worst case scenario.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
No, they shouldn't. None of those things are necessities. Why is it that conservatives can't grasp that concept?
I note how you didnt include food in your response.. So you'd then agree that government should subsidize food for all americans? How about water? No more water bills I guess will be next..

btw, health insurance isnt a necessity either, only medical treatments are.. So why didnt we just nationalize the hospitals? mmmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies