Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 01:02 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times

Advertisements

Rand Paul is obviously well to the right on economic issues but he is becoming quite popular amongst those on the left with regards to his social and national security policy.

Thoughts?

How Did Rand Paul Become a Liberal Hero? - The Daily Beast

Old 10-02-2013, 01:16 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Rand Paul is obviously well to the right on economic issues but he is becoming quite popular amongst those on the left with regards to his social and national security policy.

Thoughts?

He's not a hero to Libs, The Daily Beast, Really?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:18 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
He's not a hero to Libs, The Daily Beast, Really?

Maybe not libs, but many progressives do agree with him on issues like the NSA, etc.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Maybe not libs, but many progressives do agree with him on issues like the NSA, etc.
Or, Rand Paul happens to agree with traditional liberal viewpoints.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:24 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,778 times
He got on the GOP ticket because there's more conservative cranks willing to vote him into office then liberal wingnuts.

Like a stopped clock, he has some good ideas (anti-war, pro-legalization).

He also has some really bad ideas that really overwhelm a few well liked ideas. Such as getting rid of freedom of religion protections, removing welfare/insurance for the poor (to "Let them die"), making abortion illegal, make same sex marriage illegal, denial of climate change, denial of evolution...and it goes on.

Frankly he's not really either in terms of his views, besides crazy.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Or, Rand Paul happens to agree with traditional liberal viewpoints.
Small "L" liberal being the operative word. Classically the term liberal was almost synonymous with Libertarian...especially in European circles. But I agree...Paul agrees with a lot of Liberal viewpoints but to me it's not a matter of agreeing with liberal viewpoints so much as it is being ideologically consistent with the ideals of libertarianism.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post

Thoughts?

If he can be used to move the agenda forward...sobeit. Hero is overreach.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
This is what drives me crazy about modern politics.

Everybody has to tow the party line. If you have an R after your name, you have to be on this side of ALL the issues. If you have a D after your name, you have to be on that side.

Rand Paul, to me and many others, is like a breath of fresh air. He follow his own conscience instead of playing follow the leader.

There are A LOT of us out there, fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

For a long time, the R's and D's have had everyone following in behind them like sheep. I love that someone is shaking things up and making it more difficult to label people and herd them into a pen.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:02 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

Everybody has to tow the party line. If you have an R after your name, you have to be on this side of ALL the issues. If you have a D after your name, you have to be on that side.

Rand Paul, to me and many others, is like a breath of fresh air. He follow his own conscience instead of playing follow the leader.

For a long time, the R's and D's have had everyone following in behind them like sheep. I love that someone is shaking things up and making it more difficult to label people and herd them into a pen.
I completely agree. It used to be that democrats and republicans were different, now they are just different shades of each other. Both have become big government parties and it is sickening.

Rand Paul takes the best parts of the traditional democrat and republican positions. Small government, smaller defense, more personal choice.

Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post

It not about the R or D. I can care less of his "liberal" stands...liberal programs will happen with him or without him. Its his so-called fiscal conservatism that doenst impress me.

If you are not so much the sheep, would you compromise and change your views on fiscal matters. to use another animal analogy...it is hard for leopards to change thier spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies