Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 08:34 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think conservatives are going to start lying now that the shutdown was never about Obamacare which they have given up Repealing, Defunding or Delaying, now its about the budget.

Of course the media will go along and not say hey you mfers have refused to negotiate the budget for months.

It just happened in May of this year and its already down the memory hole of the public and the media. I remember Mc Cain getting on the floor and being shocked that they couldn't hold a conference to reconcile the two bills.

While conservatives were screaming about back room deals. It literally just happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 AM

624 posts, read 939,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
It is even much more simple. Look not that it matters, but I am surrounded by people who voted for President Obama twice family, friends, coworkers, neighbors, and they don't like Obamacare because they don't know anything about Obamacare.

Disapproval of the law I think is really indicative of skepticism of the law. People don't trust politicians and they certainly don't trust abstract words about how an abstract law may or may not work.

I am surprised 100% of people don't hate the law. Heck I supported the law kind of and still I am like I hope it works but I was never singing the praises of a law that didn't really exist in the real world in tangible ways.

conservatives are just tone deaf.

His re-election tells the tale about the new law. People want it to work and hope it works. They wanted to give it a chance, but still don't trust it.

But conservatives are in such a bubble they take the polls to mean that people see it in the extreme manner that they see it, as a take over, as death and destruction, loss of freedom, blah, blah, blah.
One real problem is the lack of comprehensive education on the matter. I think the Prez blew it on this. If ever there was a reason to send out a national bulk-mailing, this was it. Local info sessions and other education efforts were far too few.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs on this board are screaming about the "government shutdown". In my opinion, this is a very good thing, as this is a path to stop all the government waste. Social security checks are going out. People have medicare coverage. The military still functions. What else do we need?

It seems as though the libs (who crave the government- the rest of us can live without it and rely upon our local state governments for nearly everything) are "holding America hostage" in order to ram Obamacare down the throats of the people.

Why not a national referendum on Obamacare and see what the American people think? Then we could find out if the balance of Americans really want this, or just insane liberals.

When was the last time we had a single issue National referedum? We are not a democracy.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:41 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,295,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
One real problem is the lack of comprehensive education on the matter. I think the Prez blew it on this. If ever there was a reason to send out a national bulk-mailing, this was it. Local info sessions and other education efforts were far too few.
I disagree. I am surrounded by people who vote for Democrats. Here is reality, people don't trust the words of politicians to a certain degree.

So that means you can't explain anything because if something doesn't sound right to them and they don't already agree they'll just think you are lying and that's that.

Explaining how Obamacare works on one level is simple, but on an intuitive level it is difficult. Believe me I have tried to explain it to people who again vote for Democrats and got no where.

The only thing that could have made Obamacare more popular right now than it is, 2 things, say its medicare for all.

Or implement it earlier. Once people experience something, then it is not just some words from some politicians who was probably lying to get their vote, but real and tangible.

Old 10-03-2013, 08:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times
Quote:
Why not a national referendum on Obamacare and see what the American people think? Then we could find out if the balance of Americans really want this, or just insane liberals.
Obama care has already been signed into law by all required signatories from both parties and the President, its now the law of the land, get used to it. perhaps in the unlikely event that the righties can ever rid themselves of the lunatic teabagger movement they may regain power sometime in the future and at that point they can initiate a referendum on repealing the healthcare act. Until then you got Obamacare..

Old 10-03-2013, 09:20 AM

957 posts, read 757,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Here you guys go. Since you're too lazy, stupid or scared (I think you're scared, personally, but maybe you're just lazy and/or stupid) to check it out for yourself...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...cd/hcpolls.jpg

That's not "pretty evenly split", nor is it showing public support for the law.

Find reality BEFORE you engage in these discussions. Then you won't look so dumb.
Since you're so into polls, Polls also indicated that the majority of Americans favored raising taxes on those making over $250 K. Why wasn't the republican controlled house listening to the people? I might also add that polls indicated that the majority of Americans favored more comprehensive background checks, & yet the republican controlled house ignored the polls and the bill was blocked by the senate republicans.
It's no wonder polls show an opposition to the ACA after the public was mislead by certain news organizations & individuals about the law. Death panels come to mind. What ever happened to the DP's? Answer, they never existed.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:18 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,768,357 times
Quote:
The libs on this board are screaming about the "government shutdown". In my opinion, this is a very good thing, as this is a path to stop all the government waste. Social security checks are going out. People have medicare coverage. The military still functions. What else do we need?

It seems as though the libs (who crave the government- the rest of us can live without it and rely upon our local state governments for nearly everything) are "holding America hostage" in order to ram Obamacare down the throats of the people.

We already had a national referendum on Obamacare.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:31 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times
Quote:
Why not a national referendum on Obamacare and see what the American people think?
Because, as you cons love to say, "the U.S. is a republic, not a democracy."

Old 10-03-2013, 10:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,818,108 times
Quote:

Just wanted to know, if as a doctor, you are okay with there being limited personnel at the CDC.

Our local news here in Atlanta said that all but a dozen CDC employees are furloughed and flu updates and supplies of flue vaccine are at risk due to that.

Also, if the shutdown goes more than this month, SS will be affected, as will Medicare and military pay.

Head Start has also been shut down in some states already. Though many don't think that Head Start is of benefit to poor children, it provides many medical services to these children via therapy that the children would not receive otherwise, especially speech therapy and they assist with developmental disabilities for kids whose parents cannot afford private care.

Old 10-03-2013, 10:44 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Because we're a representative democracy.

duh!

We are not a "representative democracy". We are a republic. Don't try to act clever, when you are unable to execute the ruse.

Referendums are often used at the state level. It appears as though liberals are upset about our "representatives" in the Congress executing thier legal constitutional power and rights in determining issues of funding and therefore seek another means (usually tyranny) to carry the day. A state by state referendum would certainly be an answer, as the states could determine individuall by such votes to determine whether or not they wanted Obamacare.

If not.............. let the Congress do thier job, which involves the power of the purse, as irritating as that may be to some fascists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies