Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:06 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
When Democrats such as Pelosi and others refer to their Republican colleagues and elected officials as "arsonists" and "Taliban" and "insurgents" and "jihadists," why are they not accused of hate speech and inciting violence as a public safety concern? Why are they not sued for libel and slander?

I fail to see the metaphor or figurative use of this type of language in the public sphere, when they are aware of how literally their words will be taken.

When have Republicans used such vile and disgusting words to refer to their Democrat colleagues? Is there any equivalent?

Furthermore, I find it offensive and degrading to our American service members and our first responders and firefighters who faced the arsonists, Taliban, jihadists, and insurgents in a genuine fight for their lives as well as our country's.

We have sunk so low since the members of Congress stood on the Capitol Building steps in 2001 and sang "God Bless America" together after the 9/11 attacks.

Perhaps the Navy Yard shooting would have been a time of reflection for the President and Congress. However, even though the shooting took place only blocks from the White House, President Obama coolly and unemotionally delivered his political rhetoric on tv, with smiling people standing behind him. Then he simply gave yet another divisive political speech and went on with his day while they counted the bodies of the most recent shooting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
So it's only hate speech/libel/slander when Democrats do it...but the GOP gets a pass for calling Democrats similiar (or even the same) things?

Talk about a childish position from brain burned out from partisan politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Both parties are guilty of hyperbole and both have long-outlived their usefulness. But the people keep re-electing the same people and continue to complain about gridlock. Doing the same thing over and over while expecting different results...
ghostly1 is right, both sides are equally guilty, but it seems the democrats largely get away with it even though there are those exposing their hate speech, and that is because the people that expose the democrat hate speech are labeled extremists that listen to "faux noise", or a just some "rwnj". the mainstream media in this country covers for the democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
yes the republicans never call the president any names that could be considered hateful.
its true, as i said above, BOTH SIDES are equally to blame. however note that the democrats have called for civility in political discourse, yet refuse to abide by their call for such civility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 10:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
There are 2 kinds of abuse, physical and verbal abuse. Name calling is verbal abuse. Both forms of abuse is an attempt to control and dominate the people they attack. Verbal abuse is verbal battering. Think about it, an abusive man typically calls the woman names in an attempt to belittle her and make her feel she is worthless an in the end in an attempt to control her.

Obama and Democrats are calling names in an attempt to control republicans. They know the media will repeat these attacks which leads to Obama supporters to call names. Name calling is an indication that the victim they are attacking is in control simply shows the frustration of the people who is doing the name calling.

Last edited by petch751; 10-04-2013 at 10:33 AM..

Old 10-04-2013, 10:14 AM

408 posts, read 393,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its true, as i said above, BOTH SIDES are equally to blame. however note that the democrats have called for civility in political discourse, yet refuse to abide by their call for such civility.
Respectfully, that's not necessarily true for all of us. I recognize that no one here knows me and that i have no way to prove this, but I take great pains to refer to politicians by their names, titles and/or offices only, and I avoid using cutesy or insulting names for them. I do this regardless of the political party involved.

I say "Bush" or "Mr. Bush" or "President Bush" instead of calling him a silly name. I *occasionally* call him "Bush the Younger" to distinguish him from his dad. And I say "Obama" or "Mr. Obama" or "President Obama" instead of using some goofy expression.

I save cutesy and insulting names for terrorists. Especially the ones that accidentally blow themselves up or catch themselves on fire.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:15 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Are Democrat politicians and journalists guilty of hate speech, libel, and slander?

All the time.

Why do you consider this "news"?

If Democrats couldn't call Republicans "Nazis", "teabaggers", and other repulsive names, accuse them of horrible crimes, lie about what the Republicans are doing etc., they would have very litttle to say about them at all.

This has been true for decades.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:17 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna Meowt View Post
Respectfully, that's not necessarily true for all of us. I recognize that no one here knows me and that i have no way to prove this, but I take great pains to refer to politicians by their names, titles and/or offices only, and I avoid using cutesy or insulting names for them. I do this regardless of the political party involved.

I say "Bush" or "Mr. Bush" or "President Bush" instead of calling him a silly name. I *occasionally* call him "Bush the Younger" to distinguish him from his dad. And I say "Obama" or "Mr. Obama" or "President Obama" instead of using some goofy expression.

I save cutesy and insulting names for terrorists. Especially the ones that accidentally blow themselves up or catch themselves on fire.
When Obama first became president I remember someone referring to him as just Obama and I thought hey, that's our president, call him president Obama. Now that I have seen that he has a double personality, before and after being elected I call him Obama I don't respect him nor do I think he deserves the title of president.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,550,899 times
Quote:
Respectfully, that's not necessarily true for all of us. I recognize that no one here knows me and that i have no way to prove this, but I take great pains to refer to politicians by their names, titles and/or offic. only, and I avoid using cutesy or insulting names for them. I do this regardless of the political party involved.

Very true. It's disingenuous to lump everyone into the same group. I don't think I've ever refered to a politician and not used their real names. People who use Oblamer, Dirty Harry, Boner, or other insulting nicknames are childish in my book.

Old 10-04-2013, 10:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Two things. One, "libel and slander" fall under the broader umbrella of defamation, which is the legal term in use (there's not really a distinction drawn between types of defamation any longer). I don't care to get into a long discussion about the minutiae of defamation and what it is or isn't, however. Two, and just FYI, the Speech or Debate Clause in Article 1, Section 6, Clause 1 of the Constitution confers absolute immunity from prosecution to members of the House or Senate for anything they say on the floor (it does other things, too, but that immunity is what's pertinent here). It's a form of parliamentary immunity. If you're interested, look up a a Supreme Court case from 1977 called Hutchinson v. Proxmire. Proxmire was a US Senator who Hutchinson believed had defamed him. Proxmire asserted immunity from the charge based on this concept of parliamentary immunity, but the SCOTUS held that since Proxmire wasn't on the Senate or House floor when he allegedly defamed Hutchinson, then the immunity did not apply and he could be held liable. Proxmire eventually settled with Hutchinson out of court.

"When have Republicans used such vile and disgusting words to refer to their Democrat colleagues? Is there any equivalent?"

Yes. I don't particularly care to be called a "Demoncrap." I also don't appreciate a sitting President saying that it's impossible for me to be a good American simply because I'm an atheist. I'm a disabled Army veteran, and I don't think a person's beliefs, gender, skin color, religion (or lack thereof) or favorite football team have anything to do with whether they're a good American or not.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you're not aware of any instances of Republicans being just as nasty as the Democratic instances you listed, then you must not know how to use Google properly.
Or just persue the CD threads. I just saw our President referred to as a free sh*t messiah by a conservative poster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Doing this is another way of pouting and stomping up and down like a 2 year old. The only thing lacking is the stiff lip and saying "I hate you" although it is obvious Obama and Democrats hate the American people. Big business is good enough but us lowly class everyday americans, we are the guinea pigs for Obama's disastrous health care.
Yes, Ted Cruz, it certainly is. Hyperbole much?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM

215 posts, read 297,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Googling to find specific examples. And I see that this is the meme for today because all the RWNJ sites have published it, so it's crowded everything else off Google search. So you got your talking points via email from RWNJs and obediently came here to cut and paste.

Are you paid for this?
What did your Google search uncover? Any examples of Republican Congressional leaders referring to Democrat leaders as criminals? Hostage takers? Anarchists?

Old 10-04-2013, 10:36 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
[?
If Democrats couldn't call Republicans "Nazis"

I'm impressed. Did you get the admins to delete today's thread by Darkatt calling Democrats "Nazis" (in caps, no less) before you posted this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
[?
"teabaggers"
The group used the term themselves for quite awhile.

The evolution of the word 'tea bagger' - The Week

Old 10-04-2013, 10:41 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
What did your Google search uncover? Any examples of Republican Congressional leaders referring to Democrat leaders as criminals? Hostage takers? Anarchists?
It uncovered about 400 articles about the noble Republicans, all the same article reposted on 400 different sites in the last few days. Assuredly that's where you got your idea for this thread.

But that's how Google works -- usually the most current results. So your favorite RWNJ websites have effectively buried other news articles by posting and reposting the same thing.

And I didn't have time to go through more than 40 pages of results.

I'm in online publishing, so I know how these things work. I also know there are plenty of examples of Repubs calling Dems names, because I've been reading them for years, but it's hard to find them when the nutjobs are out there deliberately flooding Google with their own crap.

Meanwhile, here on C-D, it's all about "*******s" and "Dumocrats" and "Obummer" and "Obozo" and ... well, you know them all, I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies